Basement heat

So I need some input on the best way to heat my basement. I remodeled recently and I finished half of the basement. My problem is that I have zero heat down there currently other than a small space heater.

I have a boiler that runs 2 zone baseboard heating. I was thinking of tapping into that and running a 3rd zone of baseboards in the basement. Is this ok to do? I heard from someone that you couldn’t do that because they would be below the freeze line?

I’m looking for the most efficient way to heat it without running up my elec./gas bills.

What do you guys recommend?

I’ve used those blue flame radiant heaters (natural gas) in my last 2 basements and they work great. They were only like $200.

I also had that idea too. Tap into the existing gas line and run one. Will I have any issues running a ventless heater? Does that put off an odor while using it?

Something like this perhaps:

I was looking at that exact one too. My question was, is that safe to run with it being 10 ft. from my boiler? My HW tank is also maybe 15’ from where this unit would be placed. I would have to run a dehumidifier with that too.

without getting into the issue of “below the frost line” for baseboard heat down there…the other concern is whether or not your current boiler is up to the task of providing the extra heating capacity. If you have insulated the basement foundation walls, you CAN put baseboard heat down there…my parents’ house that was built in 1998 has baseboard heat in the basement, non-finished…but the walls are insulated with that bulky vinyl-backed wrap. It may be worth calling around to have a few places come look over your boiler and give you some estimates…

Yeah, that is what I was thinking of doing, just figured maybe someone here had some insight. I really like the “blue flame” heater idea since I can turn it on and off when I go down there to play pool, watch tv/play xbox. Right now it is constantly 57/58 degrees and I turn the space heater on, the thermostat on the space heater says it will get up to 62, but once you step away from the heater its super cold.

A big part of it is how often are you going to use the space and how fast do you want to be able to heat it back up?

I’m doing a home theater room in my downstairs of my raised ranch and I’m going to install a natural gas fireplace then vent it out the side or into the existing chimney depending on what the installer thinks is best. This will allow me to heat it up fast without messing with my existing HVAC. The advantage I have is the space was already finished and heated, I just find it always a little cooler than the rest of the house.

Can anyone recommend someone local that could come take a look and see what my best way to heat it might be?

Doesn’t someone on here do HVAC? I’m sure they’d provide some insight.

if you’re worried about venting just vent it to your hot water tank vent. A small gas wall fireplace will heat it up quick

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

you’re welcome

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/FOSTORIA-Electric-Infrared-Heater-3WA97?gclid=CLa1x5uL_7UCFYSK4AodjX8A8g&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA--HVAC%20and%20Refrigeration--Heating%20Equipment-_-3WA97&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=3WA97&ef_id=UOyP9QAABfFNL0g9:20130315155749:s

^If you stand directly under that you will get a nice base tan.

Sent ya pm with my bro’s info. He’s good, talk to Nick W.

I know your brother in law. He would work on the house on loring when i lived there.

That hang from the ceiling heater would never work, my basement is not tall enough for it to work.

below the frost line is good lol. above the frost line is where you get probems.

you wont have any freezing issues with baseboard

tap into it and put in some valves to shut off the circulation when you dont need to heat the basement.

do it with pex and it will be easy and cheap

well if you add a zone you just need to turn the thermostat off and you won’t be putting any heat into the basement. the biggest issue will be if you are robbing all of the heat from the rest of the house to heat the basement…depends on what kind of capacity you have available.

How about electric baseboard heat? The 220v models are pretty efficient and relatively inexpensive.

I’ve been contemplating installing a few of these in my cottage. I think you can wire up to 3 of them to a single thermostat, or just control them individually.

http://www.eheat.com/

If it were me, and my furnace had the capacity, I’d just add a couple of radiators.