Heating the garage

I searched, there’s a thread from 2005 that I don’t feel like resurrecting.

Looking at getting some decent heat in the garage to make working on projects during winter suck less.

There’s currently a woodburning stove which I want to get rid of. Takes up too much space and I’m tired of having stacks of wood around.

Thinking of either a propane or natural gas heater.

Propane would be convenient because I wouldn’t need to run a gas line. Natrual gas would be great because I wouldn’t have to buy and refill a propane tank.

I’m leaning toward natural gas because it seems like natural gas would be more convenient over time.

Any ideas what it would cost to run a gas line out of the basement and then 15-20 feet into a detached garage? Any companies you’d recommend for the work?

wood stove??? …

you can do the gas line your self its easy … you can buy a 30ft roll and all the compresion shit for like 60 bucks … or you can get the black pipe and do it that way also … having someone do it will be big $$$$ i paid 650 to have 125 feet run 75 for one run then a “T” then 50 more feet

just pull the car in and start it

i have a “hotdog” or “hotdawg” nat gas in the workshop and i love it…
i believe its 30-35 feet of pipe from the basement to garage…
i dont know how much it would cost…just do it yourself

It’s easy enough to dig a trench and hook up some pipe, but I know nothing about what permits I’d need and/or any applicable building codes.

Anyone have a clue on these (in Williamsville)?

F the permits … you would need to call the town

I can’t do it, but we charge $6/ft for gasline (material and labor). We run either gastite (certified), black pipe, or most likely a mix of the two for a job like that.

Just to give you an idea of what some places would charge for that distance…

call it $450 just for the line if NG… then you need to get the heater

i picked up a vent free for 329 at lowes it does LP and NG … you could just do the LP thing for now then if you dont like the tank shit put in the line

Call Ed Youngs, 5641 main st. 632-3150, the plumbers there do installs such as these all the time. They actually ran my gas line from the house to the detached garage last fall. There is a certain standard in Williamsville for entrenched gas lines. They’ll know.

As far as a heater goes, NG is the best, easiest, and generally cheapest around here.

And, I’m strongly of the opinion that tht Modine Hawt Dawg is the best way to go for a home garage. External intake & exhaust means ALOT. No fumes, no oxygen deprivation, thermostatic operation, and EXTERNAL exhaust means NO extra condensation in the garage to give everything metal a coat of surface rust.

:word: Moisture is your #1 enemy with a VF heater running as a main heat source.

Does anyone have any experience with a Waste Oil Furnace?

A little expensive though.

you need a lot of oil and a good place to get it that does not dump all kindas shit in there like antifrez and shit … (very hard to find )

best is a oil change place… but then you need to fig out how to get it home and shit

the unit it self runs 1k(ish) and then the vent for the house $300 ish… in a tank to hld oil ??

call it a 2k investment

EIDT fuck all that spelling jazz

I have a 3 car garage and I was also in the need to heat it for when I would go out to work on something. I ended up purchasing a $80 40k propane torpedo heater from Home Depot and use that. The thing works great and does a great job heating up the garage. Spending $22 bucks to fill up the tank after 15 hours really doesn’t seem that bad to me.

you also need to think about heat loss with lack of insolation in most garages

I’m very intrigued by these Hot Dawg heaters.

It hadn’t really occurred to me until you mentioned it, but I definitely want to avoid excess moisture in this garage. The money I’d save on a ventless heater would quickly be pissed away on replacing rusty tools and car parts.

Haven’t checked, but I’m pretty sure the garage is insulated. Can’t imagine that anyone would have put so much effort into building this kick-ass garage without insulating it. Will verify this afternoon.

wether its the modine or otherwise, be sure to get an external venting heater.

condensation is a byproduct of combustion.

But also so that it will be far easier / safer to work with. Especially if you’re gonna run it on a thermostat. Say you kept it at 50* (just to be warmer, and to protect electronic tools / parts in the garage) all the time. Well, if it runs for days, and the garage is sealed up, you basically have a mild gas chamber…