HVAC people, step in

long story short…

the past 2 years I have been heating my garage with a wood burning stove and a blower, which was in the garage when I bought the house.
This summer I removed the wood stove, and I’m now in need of a way to heat my garage.

Here in lies the issue…all the work I do is fiberglass/body filler/dusty. So I don’t want something with an open flame that can combust or something that will cause carbon monoxide.

Anyone have any ideas? Ideally I would like one of the Modine Hot Dawg heaters, but $1000 just isn’t in the cards right now.

things to note: natural gas line already plummed to the garage, the structure is 22’x22’ and fully insulated walls and ceiling covered by OSB.

any input is appreciated.

do you have a 240 line to the garage, the Qmark BRH series would work, and about $150, if you do

EDIT: this is where most new construction builds buy there required heaters from, http://www.qmarkmep.com/

thanks for the link!!

would one of those heat a garage well? i cant seem to find BTU rating, etc. Also do you know if its sealed motor?

I had a 240, but my electrician took it out for some reason…but easy enough to have him put it back in.

OT, why did you get rid of the wood stove?? Im looking to get a wood stove this winter but I have a 4 car garage. I have no idea of the dims

i got rid of it for a few reasons. for starters, the grates were melted down, and were unable to be replaced. also, it would take a good hour or two, to get a solid fire going. Since I go out there after 5pm, i would have roughly 4 hours to work, 2 of which were getting the fire going. Then while it’s going, tending to the fire is a PITA, and having to order wood every year was a PITA as well. Not to mention the potential hazard of open flame and the chemicals I use.

just all around a total hassle. I do kinda regret getting rid of it now, but im sure once I find a good source of heat in a different platform i’ll be happy.

but I will say, once it got going, i could get the garage upto a solid 90 degrees even with drafts, lol.

:tup: my dad heats his whole house with a wood burner

on topic: I use propane with 2 heater elements on the top…
not sure if you want to go that route… pita to refill and costly if you’re out working a lot.

i thought about that, but have been skeptical about using a tank and open elements with the chemicals.

thats really my biggest concern is the chemicals. the fiberglass and fillers tend to build fumes quick and quite strong

I spent ~3 months looking into the best means of garage heat.

I deal with alot of sawdust, sanding dust, gas, n2o, etc…

I hate to say it but the Hawt Dawg with the external intake / exhaust kit was the absolute best option.

Next best IMO is radiant IR, but that also needs an external exhaust which I found made them more expensive. And they are not all sealed combustion chambers.

IIRC the 36k btu hotdawg was more like $700, not $1k, fwiw.

yeah… all that stuff might float into the open element also…

hmm

yup. can’t have open element or combustion.

you don’t want inside intake for the same reasons; also inside intake means it CAN literally suck the O2 out of the garage over the course of a few hours.

You don’t want inside exhaust because the byproduct of combustion is wator vapor. Hello surface rust. Not to mention the CO and other nox emissions.

:meh:

ya, I had a feeling that was going to be the only answer. :frowning:

that certainly sucks.

external exhaust/intake isnt a problem…it’s putting together the funds to get a hot dawg at the moment. just bought a new 50" plasma wed. and with christmas coming close it’s gonna take a chunk out of my savings.

and above and beyond that, trying to explain to the wife why i need this heater so bad, lol. she never understands when it comes to buying things for the garage…only the house :banghead:

well, guess i may have to make a snky purchase

i will more than likely be ok with a wood stove. Nick knows, my garage is huge. i could set the stove up in 1 corner on the other side of the garage and still cut wood and do glass work on the other.

ya, i glassed in my garage for 2 years even with the stove door open(stupid, lol) and never had an issue. but there were so many little issues with the one i had, i just decided id rather not work out there than deal with it another year.

did you have any issues with dry air??? I hear you can keep a container of water on the stove to stop that?

ya, it would definately get real dry in the garage. sometimes even causing my nose to bleed.

i eventually started using the old water trick and it works well. still a bit dry, but 100% improvement. especially in the winter, i would just grab a few handfulls of snow and toss it in the pot so you dont have to go inside to get the water.

also…if you need, i still have the blower with thermostat that is of no use to me.

bump

anyone have a hookup for Modine heaters? More specifically the Hot Dawg HDS-45?

best i’ve found online is $899 shipped.