Basic Aerodynamics

I would’ve posted this in Technical, but really, it belongs in a section called Gospel, and we don’t have that (yet). So here goes. I’m going to tackle basic aerodynamics for you, out of the goodness of my heart, and I’ll try to keep it as easy as possible. This is not a complete, or even in-depth analysis by any means, and if you’d like, I can do a much more detailed and advanced one, in another thread, so as to keep this information segregated for the newbies.

Aerodynamics is a very often misunderstood topic, which can have some pretty bad consequences. If used right, it can give you several things, added stability at high speeds, and added grip in cornering. Both of those things kick ass, so I’m going to throw some ideas at you to help you figure it all out.

Before we begin, you have to understand what a moment, or torque is, because that’s pretty important to this whole discussion. A car has a center of mass, and it likes to rotate about it. Go to the back of your car, and push down, you’ll notice the front went up a bit. Same thing with that big ass wing on the back of your car. It’s helping keep your rear wheels jammed into the ground, but it’s causing your fronts to lift a bit, pitching your car rearward, causing more frontal lift at high speeds. Shit can get you killed.
So what do you need? Balance. Just like playing with spring and swaybar stiffness, aerodynamics modify handling characteristics, and can make your car understeer or oversteer.
For a street driven car, you can kinda forget about additional cornering grip, as you should NEVER be taking corners at speeds that will allow your aero to become functional, but high speed stability would be nice. Consider adding a front splitter for this, it will add a lot more front downforce than you would think, considering its small area.
In effect, pushes your front end down, giving you better control at high speeds, as well as promoting oversteer.
Another thing to consider is, how smooth is your underbody? I wouldn’t suggest you go all out and do a full undertray for a street car, but lowering your car will definitely help if you don’t have one. The beauty of an undertray, or having your car lower, is that the force is distributed over the car’s body, giving you downforce without upsetting the car’s balance too much.
Now on to the most common part of car aero, rear spoilers and wings.
Despite the shit that people say about functional and unfunctional, ALL rear wings that have an angle of attack to them are functional. Period. If you take a flat piece of metal, and weld it to the back of your car at a negative angle of attack, it WILL produce downforce. The question is how much, and at what cost.
Now, the difference between a spoiler and a wing, is a spoiler is attached to the car, like what comes on the S13 hatch, and is called a lip by most people. The purpose of a spoiler, is to cause some turbulence and generally mess up (aka SPOIL) the airflow at the rear of the car. This will increase the pressure at the top part, causing some downforce.
A wing on the other hand, is mounted above the trunk, and goes about things a bit differently. It uses an airfoil profile, just like something you would find on an airplane, and is meant to generate downforce. The main problem with wings is height. Due to the shape of the car, there is rarely any clean air going to them for them to do their jobs, so on most race cars, they are mounted very high. In general, despite their failings with lack of height, wings generate more downforce than spoilers.

So again, aerodynamics are a refined way to balance your car’s handling, and SHOULD NOT be played with by a total novice. Any idiot can go and buy the best coilovers out there, have them installed, and it will make their car handle better. The same does NOT apply to aerodynamics, the purpose of the car and balance have to be considered. Too much aero will hurt your top speed (for another thread), and too much aero in the wrong place can cause adverse effects to handling.

If anyone cares, I can make a much longer, much more detailed Advanced Aerodynamics post.

now can you make a video of you reading all of that plz :slight_smile:
lol
ggoood stuff bud

There must be some downtime at work :slight_smile:

Good write-up.

more write ups! where were u on my hood scoop thread, can u help with that. anyway i would love to read the more detailed threads. I just don’t have the time to read books on end and spend hours figuring out fact or fiction on the net. So would be great to read some detailed yet oriented aero articles.

+1 on more

How about a post on how to make best use of areo at low speeds. 0-100kmph

Post more details on the hood scoop, or link me the thread, and I’ll address it.

Low speed aero… Oh boy… this is where it gets hard and pricey. You have to have a full undertray and rear diffuser for this, and will likely need a vented hood to properly cool your car, because the flow on the bottom out of your engine bay would be completely blocked. The point of the undertray is area. There’s three main factors to consider when generating downforce, coefficient of lift, area and speed. Unfortunately, the relationship is of the 2nd degree when it comes to speed, and linear when it comes to area, so you have to put quite a bit more into area to get the same kind of returns.
We were planning on doing this to Andrew’s car before it got smushed, and it may end up being done to the FC as well. The biggest issue with this is the labour involved, as well as designing the rear diffuser properly. It needs to be at a high enough angle of attack to make a substantial amount of downforce, yet low enough not to cause flow separation. By all means though, for low speed, undertray is king.

Would a higher ‘angle of attack’ decrease your top speed? And at what speeds does this become crucial?

Also, when designing front and rear diffusers and wings, do the angle of attack need to be identical, or greater in the front due to high speed lift?

Another thing, would making a slotted or vented undertray be effective at all? Soemthing like this:

/

Sorry for the primitive drawing. I’ve always been intrigued by the physics behind aero, and I really enjoy physics aswell :slight_smile:

Thanks Ant!

iirc the lips/wings or what not on the front neeed to be angled more aggressively i may be wrong though.

Additional aero always reduces your top speed. It creates two distinct forms of drag, skin friction drag, due to added surface area, and induced drag, which is drag due to lift, or in this case downforce. The effect gets more pronounced with more downforce, there really is not set number. It’s like asking if fat people in your car make it slower, and how fast can I go before I have to make them diet.

The front diffuser isn’t really a diffuser per se, it’s just a splitter, so it’s at a zero or close to zero angle of attack. The diffuser in the rear is meant to channel the air out at an angle of attack, while the front splitter just builds a bit of extra pressure. In open wheel motor sports, balancing is a bit easier, because they can just run a front wing, but in regular kinda cars, the splitter will have to make do.

Not sure what you mean by that drawing… if you’re looking at the car from the side, and it’s like

F ________ _________ R
… /
Then you sure as hell don’t want anyting like that
if however you’re looking at it from the front or back, and it’s like
L__________________R
…|…|
then you do want those, because they help channel more of the flow through the middle, so it doesn’t get disturbed by all the stuff coming from the sides.

Edit: dots have been added to put stuff in it’s correct place, otherwise forum moves it to the front

LOL i have the problem with the text aswell, the dots are air particled :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, I DID mean the first picture you drew. Because lets say you have 2 possiblities. One is to have the understray as close to the underbody as possible. Two would be to have a small gap, with a piece cut and sticking down:

_________
…/

Dots = movement of air.

So when the air is pushed up against the undertray then the pressure is forced down (i.e. down force) once it reached the inside of the undertray.

This is what I was trying to get across. It’s probably incorrect though.

As per MSN, that flap would create a lot of pressure buildup and make things really messy. There is a better way to do that exact same thing
_________/

But it would follow both paths. Either way, that’s unnecessary and will perform worse than a classic undertray. You would want it if for some reason you had a mid engine car with a trunk mounted intercooler though :smiley:

_________________/
F…R

how much of an affect do canards you find on front bumpers have?

Honestly, I think they do pretty much nothing. Considering their size and positioning, their usefulness is pretty limited. Also, most of the time they’re just glued on to the bumper, so if at any point they became useful, they’d just get torn off. To put things into perspective, I remember hearing that Sasha’s wing dented his trunk from making so much downforce :smiley:

I’d like to see a more advanced technical write up Antonio!

someone has been doing their homework
glad you shared the tech side of aerodynamics to the rest.
i actually learned a few that i didnt know from your some what scratching the surface of things.

great post, sticky. but with more detail!

http://www.son240sx.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32827&highlight=hood+aero
heres a link to the thread… u don’t have to answer now but maybe touch on it in your next write up

Okay, I’m somewhat busy now, but expect a pretty massive thread sometime this weekend.