Best Harley / Chopper / Old Iron Forum? - 39 Knuckle Build

Looks good. Hopefully you’re putting a foot clutch on this.

most def not. I hate the look and function of a foot clutch. Its not a retro or restoration build. Not using the original front end, tank, fenders, controls, lights…

The guts - frame, motor, trans are the only '39 things that are staying.

How many foot clutch bikes have you ridden? They’re a blast to ride.

Also what “look” of it don’t you like? I’m not talking a rocker or mousetrap, but a nice suicide pedal and jockey shift looks 1000x better than a bar mounted clutch.

Edit: looks so clean compared to a hand clutch:

That’s a shame… but I don’t have any idea of what your vision is.

Personally, if I had original '39 parts… they’d stay…

Ive actually never rode a bike with a foot clutch. We had a mouse trap temp on it but decided to take it off and run an eliminator. And we didn’t want to clamp it down on the frame and chip the powdercoat. . Its brand new chrome and works great but we decided to run a cleaner clutch setup.

I don’t care for that bike. Front brake cable and drum, springer front end, seat, skull shifter, saddle bag, sissy bar. I like the front wheel and tire, and the large profile rear tire. Also like rear fenders that show some of the tires meat. To each his own I guess.

I don’t have the original tins or stuff I listed. But I’m also not buying them. Going for my father’s style which is hard to explain. Ill get some more pics of the bikes we ride and you guys will get an idea of what is to come.

I don’t think that bike is anything too special, just a decent pic of the left side of a suicide clutch knuckle. It’s just so much better looking than a hand clutch. Those bars are so clean.

What are you running for a primary?

Edit, if you want to try and ride a foot clutch bike, I have three to choose from, I don’t recall how tall you are though, so 2/3 might be too small for you, but if it sways you into putting proper controls on it, I’m all for it.

I’m sure it’ll be a nice bike. Make a build thread and do something rare around here… see it through to completion. I look forward to it!

Im 6 foot. LOL @ “proper controls”. I’d ride one just for fun but highly doubt id change on this. I am running apes. We have a mock up pair on them now but I might end up getting a different pair. Cant complete that without the seat and fwd controls on.

3 inch primary

Thanks Maxwell

If you’re serious…
places not to post this build: any of the places mentioned in this thread.

Please don’t be serious.

Actually, there may be enough cheeseball dudes on

that would appreciate it.

^^^

This is exactly the difference between my style and yours. When I’m rolling through a park bike show/blessing and that 3 inch belt is cutting the grass…

At least the “hipster” fad tends towards vintage stuff, as it was back in the day.

If you want to hate on fads, you’re putting stuff on this bike that was a fad in the early 2000s, and is now almost universally is seen as lame.

Putting a 3" primary on this bike is basically like putting 30" wheels on a 69 Camaro. It’s your bike, do whatever you want, but I will not be alone in the opinion that it’s super lame, and it won’t just be us “hipsters” who think that. The dude in full Harley gear might think it’s cool though.

As I said previously, this is not a retro or restoration build. Or Vintage. Whatever you call it. No.

What I’m attempting to do is copy my father’s style. Its not a fad because all of his bikes for the last 30-35 years have been the same style bikes. None of his bikes were ever called lame. Hippies, posers, weekend bikers, real bikers, crotch rockets, guys that never rode or owned a bike… all gave props and still do. Just like you built a multi color bmw that did burnouts and I built a black mustang that did wheelies. You look your way and I look mine. Complete opposites so honestly I wouldn’t care what you “hipsters” think of this bike. It doesn’t have to be yours or anyone’s thing, obviously, but we don’t care.

#NoFriends

Who knows, maybe we’ll end up meeting at a red light and see how these old motors run. =] but until then… I’m didn’t fag up your builds with my opinions, so don’t mine.

Wait, so this is your build thread?

damn it, no. this was supposed to be a forum finder but we got carried away.

I don’t know anything about bikes so I enjoy reading about anything that’s done to them. I also have no opinion :tup:

I’ll save my opinions for later once I see progress. You do you. :tup:

My 58 has had a 3in primary sense 1962.

53 year old fad. Yup.

not riding your motorcycle because riding vintage harleys is too popular?

your logic is asinine.

i dont buy it. show me a receipt for a 3" belt in 1962. guys in the 60’s were NOT using that shit.

Popular? No. It’s a group of people I don’t particularly want to be associated with.
The bike has had an open primary since the early 60s. Probably a 2.5" as a bunch of parts came with the bike. I have an old picture someplace of the bike in the 60s with the open on it. As for a recipt, I don’t currently have a time machine to jump into to go back 25 years before I was born to prove something to someone on the Internet.