55 Harley Panshovel

Building this bike for a friend. He got a really good deal on it, so that gave me some money to play with to make it cool. Not trying to go super nuts with it, just a cool rider. It’s a 55 lower end, seems original, in a 65-69 frame, with a late shovelhead swingarm and rear wheel, an evo springer and a mid 70s superglide tank.

Here it was when we picked it up. A lot of cheesy old guy stuff on it and a lot of bad mods. Check out that primary guard! Haha. Also note the liberal use of extension cords for wiring. Also they had an alternator and late voltage regulator on there, which left the front empty and the regulator placement was just awful. Not a fan of the late springer but it will do for now. Square swingarm will go.

http://i.imgur.com/jar9fz0.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QlXPHqK.jpg

Then I got it to my place and started removing some of the bullshit. The primary guard and the “sissy” and a few other things.

Had to do something with the fender, so I took the hinged part off and turned it into a bobbed tail section.

Then it was time to do something about the bars. Getting the top clamp off was a pain in the ass. Looks like someone threaded in the riser bolts with JB weld or something. Weird because the threads were perfectly fine on both.

Bent up some pinched mini apes from 304SS.

Bender wouldn’t make a tight enough bend so I had to make them in 2 pcs

No way were they fitting in springer riser clamps which are 6.5 inches outside, so had to go riserless. Modifying the top clamp:

Coping the weld on risers I made:

Test fit to get the angle, also ground down the center weld:

Welded up:

Fitted:

Next I needed to do something about that oil cooler, so I remounted it underneath the new horseshoe oil bag, which was a task all in itself, because the later frame isn’t meant to accept the earlier oil bag. They make a bolt in replacement, but it doesn’t have the same look as the OEM one, so I made the OEM one work. (Well, OEM replica). Took making a new battery tray and welding some new tabs on the frame. Also, it hade male fittings on it which I had to remove and retap to female. Here’s the removed oil cooler and the new bag

Decided to put the filter on the other side above the trans, not the easiest place to access, but 2 hoses and two bolts will get it off.

Plumbed up the whole oil system with AN lines. Replaced the cooler with a jagg one with AN ports as well.

So that’s where it sits right now. Got a round swingarm coming on Monday. Still needs to be rewired, genny installed, and probably make some mid controls for it. More soon…

im really glad those terrible bendy bars arent for your own personal use.

Say what you will, I love 'em and would happily run them on one of my bikes.

http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Kramer-Shows-His-Fear-Reaction-Gif.gif

http://reactiongif.org/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/08/GIF--Nope-No-way-Nah-no-scream-horrified-Michael-J.-Fox-Back-to-the-Future-GIF.gif

http://media.giphy.com/media/ILhlmcFLnYEms/giphy.gif

I like it. for what little work needed to be done, its a huge difference.

That old primary cover was sick… like fetal alcohol baby sick.

I was liking where this was going until I saw the new handlebars.

Nope.

Is that pin-striping coming off?

This pretty much sums up my feelings on that rear lobster claw fender and wheel

Two different tail lights?

I may change out to two of the same tail light, those are just what I had laying around.

The rear wheel absolutely does suck. I’d like to put a spoked drum rear on there, but for the time being it’s too expensive.

The pinstriping is coming off.

I also made a set of low bars last night that I might run, because this is for a new rider and those tall bars might be a bit of a handful for him initially. These need to be trimmed down still. About 1.5 off the left and .5 off the right.

What are those bars painted with? Or is that just a reflection of the carpet?

Both bars are brushed 304, no paint.

I like these bars much better. Lookin’ good.

looks pretty cool - whats the riding position like with lower bars and forward controls…do you need controls moved back a bit?

Making mid controls this weekend. If it were for me, I’d put high mids on it, but will let the owner decide what he wants.

Talked customer into spoked drum wheel. The one I got is a little crusty, but it will be a huge improvement.

Got some progressive covered shocks with top caps on the way too. Same ones I have on the pan.

I ordered some lucas tails to replace the two I had on there with.

Waiting on new swingarm bearings before I can switch over.

18" rear?

new bars = drastic improvement.

also :tup: to the covered shocks and caps

now ditch that fucking absurd headlight.

you should have texted me I have a round pan swingarm just laying around…

• Updated - - -

also I know you just did the fender but I feel like this style rear fender with the support struts flow much better with the superglide tank

or even without the struts?

I think I’d rather change the tank than the bars. But I’ve already spent so much of Brian’s money. Haha.

The wheel is just a stock midstar 16. The rim is pretty corroded, so at some point I’d like to replace it to an 18, but that could take some time, maybe in the fall of it’s still together. Hah.

The headlight and whole front end sucks, but for now it’s gonna have to do. Actually now that I think about it I do have a WG sitting around…

WG with cowbells.

is that an oem late springer?

I sold my front end from the softail for $1850 at the swap out here…