1975 Honda CB550 cafe bike build!

Have just recently picked back up on this project that I had started mid summer after purchasing Beast’s old bike (Jam’s roomate/friend). I got the bike and it didn’t run and was seized up. I spent about a week of squirting Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders and gently rolling it in gear until a week later got it free’d up. I then changed the oil (about a pint of water came out first lol), changed plugs, and two blown fuses, and replaced the missing ignition cylinder/key with one from ebay for $20. I got the bike running later that week after some tinkering and adjustments, and took it for a ride. I noticed it felt very underpowered and sluggish, but kept on tuning it up, synchronized the carbs, etc…and rode it for about two weeks to see if it improved. When it didnt I did a compression test to find two cylinders were around 6psi while the other two were 140ish…DRAT. So I set out to find a good runing replacement engine. (got one finally for $250)

In the past 3-4 months I have been collecting parts Via Ebay and getting some awesome deals. I located a spare tank, and have started on the seat fabrication. I set out to build this for under $1000 in total cost, so far its looking like Im going to come in around $800-900 which is great.

I have gotten GSXR600 rearsets for $50 shipped
Jardine 4-2 exhaust for $58 shipped, nearly spotless
CB750supersport rear disc/swingarm/wheel for $20 at the junkyard

clubman bars I ordered were on backorder, so I took a torch to the stock bars and bent them to my own liking.

on to some pics:

bike the day I purchased it. (non running)

Some of the teardown after realizing the engine had two dead cylinders (6psi compression)

testing the valve seals and such

whipped up some gauge face overlays in adobe illustrator

750 swingarm on

this shows the bars and the spare tank ( I plan to refurbish in a similar orange color) and the bike stripped to a roller

some seat fabbing/mockup

testing the riding position, and its SUPERB…not bad for not measuring a damn thing lol

side shot with a rearset test fitted

some initial mudding on the seat

skincoated in finishing bondo (cameraphone pic sorry)

the bars up close (also cameraphone)

bobbed the rear fender up and trying to decide whether to go with a fender or no fender

some of my buddy daryl being funny/calling me a pussy for not going chopper style instead

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/focusinprogress/CB550/Pic0059.jpg

comments and feedback welcome and appreciated!

good stuff. not my style of bike but the work looks great so far. friend of mine is doing a 77 rd400. i dont think his will turn out as cool as this, his tastes are a bit different.

lookin good man! loving the cafe style as well. Look at getting some clubman bars, or find some clip-ons that will fit your forks, it will looks badass.

yeah I wanted clubmans from the get-go, but they were on like 6 month backorder so I opted to modify the stock bars into basically the same riding position, just not the abrupt bends on a set of clubmans. I do like clip-ons as well, however I am a tall dude, and for me to do clip-ons I would need to source longer fork tubes so that I could mount the clip-ons above the triples instead up below

thanks for the kind words guys!

I am painting the seat fairing and tank in GM sunburst orange metallic.

ahhhh on my streetfighter, the top triple slid up and down the the forks, so i dropped the front of the bike on the forks and clamped the clip-ons above.

hows the ranger running for daryl?

f’in double post

well the day after he got it a wheel came loose/fell off, and then last week the timing belt snapped on him the one day and it took him three days to figure that out lol. other than that it has been great to him and he loves it.

seems like its off to a good start…

I’m excited to see how it finishes

so far the only thing I am considering changing is moving the rearset further down that part of the frame to relax my leg more…I have to play with the location of them a bit more…I am super excited to complete this bike and ride this summer. Been a long time since I was on two wheels

should toss some custom manifolds and a GT12R on it :slight_smile:

lol, actually I have a really small turbo floating around that would do the trick, but I dont feel confident in converting to modern sportbike fuel injection just to run boost. If anything, I will do a big bore kit on the motor I pulled out, and then spray it LOL

Good Job man. Look forward to seeing this up close one day. Dont let DP hate on it, he’s just mad he cant ride lol.

BTW, cant really make it out from the pics but is that in his shop?

yeah, Me, daryl and our buddy mike split the shop three ways…so its 1/3rd mine lol

damn i should have told him to check the lugnuts, i changed the rims on it the day he came out to look at it.

as for the timing belt, that sucks, but it could have been worse. for the mileage that truck has, it runs like a tank.

where did you find your replacement motor from? mine has been siezed for over a couple months now with no luck.lol

i like the project, sometimes i wonder if i shoulda left mine cafe racer but i dont realy care. If i want one ill just pick another one up for a few hundo.lol

Good stuff, Im looking forward to this

I hear ya lol. I think when this one is done im going to look for a second just so I can let friends ride it or something. I found my motor on that forum I told you about in your build thread…forums.sohc4.net

its mostly 4cyl sohc hondas, but there are definately a bunch of old twins two like the 350’s and such…you could check there or ebay too. If you want to rebuild your motor PM me…I can rebuild it for you for fairly cheap with a buddies dad cause he has all the machining tools for it

i found a replacement motor for my gs500 on ebay. salvage yards are usually your best bet when it comes to trying to piece/rebuild a motor.

i got a motor with unknown mileage on it from florida for 300 bucks plus $75 shipping. swapped a cover that had been damaged, rejetted the carbs/cleaned carbs and dropped the motor into it in one night and it started right up and never let me down.

wow, nice. im having issues finding decent cb350 motors. Ill keep my eyes open i guess, or just pry off the cylinders and rering and hone.

Anyone have a spare petcock? im missing mine.:frowning: