Motorcrossx23's GS750 Cafe Build

So some of you already know I bought an 1981 Suzuki GS750L to replace my 2004 Kawasaki Ninja.

The question was, “what is he doing buying a cruiser??”

Well, I’ve always loved these vintage cruisers, and they scoot pretty well for what they are. The styling and reliability sold me, as did the price.

My plans for the bike are:

-Strip/disassemble the entire bike
-Powdercoat frame and swingarm
-Paint tank, front and rear fenders
-Powdercoat wheels
-Restore any parts that need it
-Rebuild carbs
-4 into 1 Vance and Hines exhaust
-SS brake lines?
-Redo gauges
-Re-cover the seat if possible
-Sodablast the motor, paint black

So, here’s where I start…

The day I brought it home:

Starting to disassemble:

Exhaust comes off, broken header bolts suck though…ughh.

Not even close :frowning:

Mess of parts, completely disorganized as of right now…

---------- Post added at 12:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Update: Time to get into some detail work. I decided to redo the badges on the bike…

Sprayed the down with a black enamel base coat, and then went ahead with a white enamel for the detail paint, let me tell you…hands of a surgeon for this lol. Ended up finishing both and sprayed a clear enamel over them. All in all, 3 hours of work total for a very nice finished product I think.

---------- Post added at 12:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

Got some goodies in the mail from eBay, OEM original airbox covers (for a steal too, $15 for both)

---------- Post added at 12:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

The gauges were old and in need of repair, so I decided it would be my next detail project to tackle.

The gauges:

Torn apart:

Broken fuel gauge, not anymore!

Black base coat:

Silver trim coat:

Gauges together:

Finished:
(Crappy picture, but they look much better in person. Also I replaced the Lexan plastic windows so it now looks brand new)

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Chrome…not a huge fan, but nice when added in small amounts IMO. I decided to attempt cleaning up some of the chrome on the bike, I used a product by Eagle One called Nevr-Dull. I’ll let the pictures do the talking…

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Nice

Beer? Umm…yes?

Goodbye airbox:

And now…time to get into the wiring…ugh. LukeL, you will be getting a PM from me sometime this fall/winter lol.

The bad:

It’s not too bad, and I expected it to some extent for being a 30 year old bike. I’m not very good with electronics so I will definitely require some help in this department when the time comes.

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

LOL @ Suzuki spelling “Fornt” wrong on all their rear fender tags!!

Looking a little better, progress at least…

Box-o-parts:

New lift from Harbor Freight, sweet. I do miss having paddock and rear stands, so much easier to use:

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 AM ----------

Now, here’s where I ran into my first issue. And admittedly, I let it get the best of me for almost 1-1/2 weeks. The fucking center stand sits in two mounts under the bike. There are two bolts, both with a bushing that sit in each of the mounts. The left side bolt and bushing came out without an issue, the right side…all hell broke loose.

I used heat, PB buster, mini sledge…everything, trying to salvage the center stand before using my angle grinder and saying fuck it to the damn thing…

The culprit…the bushing had rust welded to the bolt. There was no way I would’ve ever been able to get this apart, oh well. Center stands are for FGGTS.

---------- Post added at 12:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Fuck you center stand!

A little organization, as the parts keep piling up every night I work on it. I’m labeling literally EVERY SINGLE bolt and part that comes off the bike, as well as taking pictures of EVERY SINGLE bolt and part that comes off the bike. Hopefully this will make assembly much easier when the time comes.

As she sits tonight:

---------- Post added at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:53 AM ----------

So here where I stand right now, I have the bike down to the frame + motor with a few exceptions (gotta take off the wire harness, rear master cylinder)

It’s sat like this for about a week now as I have had ZERO time to work on it. So I’m asking NYSpeed for their help. If anyone wants to wrench on it and kick my ass into motion/motivation I would definitely use the help. I’ll supply the beer and tunes :tup:

My plan is to get this bike stripped down to the frame by end of October, so I can beat the colddddd.

I’m ready for paint though, which is good. But I think I’m going to wait until the powdercoated parts are ready as well, so I can package and send everything out at the same time.

If I wasnt so damn busy with my own projects I would totally put some wrench time on this, I love old bikes!

nice progress!

Thanks guys!

Got some work done on the bike tonight, big progress actually…

Wire harness is out!

Carbs and airbox are out!

That means…THE MOTOR IS READY TO TAKE OUT OF THE FRAME!!! Finally!!

:tup:

Chris: Shoot me a text later on…will thursday or friday work for you for me to pick up your fenders for some blasting action?

i might be able to lend a hand once things settle down here at the new house. i’ve had my bike apart for 2 weeks just to do projectors, and im not even close to done!

Nice project and props to getting it started early. Just make sure this thing gets done in time for next year!

I’m going to shoot for frame + misc pieces out for powder and tins out for paint all asap. That way I can be inside rebuilding the carbs, refinishing various parts and ordering online goodies. Come February I’d like to start putting it all back together, maybe later depending on temperatures (I have no heat in my garage, so I’d rather not work outside).

I have to decide if I want to buy a 4-1 or a 4-2 exhaust now, since the stock exhaust is FUBAR’ed. I may get the exhaust ceramic coated as well if the price is right.

Update:

Cleaned out the garage today, also bought a new work bench to make working on parts a little bit easier…

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs765.snc4/66540_10150292918600447_692180446_15214188_3944658_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs782.snc4/66253_10150292918860447_692180446_15214192_7034476_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs028.snc4/33785_10150299204830447_692180446_15323289_4817954_n.jpg

Trying to get a hold of someone my father works with that has connections at Hot Shots Powdercoating, I’m not touching the motor/frame until I find out what I’m doing first. I’m going to dive into the carbs and cleaning up some of the parts, mainly the rear sprocket and front/rear calipers.

Sooo is the electric fireplace your main source of heat?

Haha not that’s actually my grandmothers, it’s just waiting to get picked up from a guy on craigslist.

I’m pulling the motor as I speak, fuck this thing is heavy lol.

Snag a little propane or kerosene heater and you can be in business all winter

I actually have one, 20lb propane tank with a top heater, works the shit.

Motor is out, I’ll post pics in a bit.

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 AM ----------

Swingarm out…

This USED to be foam, I’m gonna have to figure this situation out…oh, its the front sprocket cover.

Oh shit!!

Oh yeah…motor, peace.

Looking good, eh?

Oh wait, that’s a little further into the night. My regrets.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 AM ----------

Btw, many beers and a little Black Velvet whiskey might have contributed to this build tonight.

Nice progress.

How about a pic of the new workbench !! :slight_smile:

Sure thing.

I think can help with the whole Pan…Pam thing. I mean I can help with the Oil, Turn, and Neutral thing, on your cluster.

I’m so confused about this whole comment…what?? lol

Update on the build too:

I invested in a TON of Purple Power engine degreaser…oh boy lemme tell ya, this bike is dirty.

I also found that the brake fluid was probably never properly flushed on the 30 years of this bikes life. I’ll be tearing apart and cleaning the rear master and front calipers tonight after class, should be fun.

I’m at the point now where I’m ready to spend money (eeekk!), so I’m going to take the advice of RessurectedJ (Kris) and work from the ground up. I’ll be dismounting the tires and getting the wheels sent out for powder (or paint…maybe paint?) asap.

@ 0:25

Ha, sorry. Just popped into my head.

I can restore your text on your indicators.

What is the bottom blue one supposed to say? In any event I can fix that too.