Taking a gamble posting this on here, but hell, why not…
A couple years ago I (with the help of others, primarily Newman, Nick, Checko) built a 77’ CB550K as some of you may have known it. I sold it even though I never should have, here are some pictures of it along with a minty SS I also owned and sold:
I then built a turbo Miata but, it wasn’t the same as bombing around on an old vintage motorcycle. Since I was getting the itch again, I had been lurking Craigslist daily. I then stumbled upon a deal I couldn’t pass up, a lot of three- CB550’s with a bunch of spare parts, so I jumped on it. The intent was to sell the two I wasn’t using and build and keep one, and that’s what I am doing.
I learned a lot from my last build, but I wanted to take it to the next level this time around…I wanted to build a bratty CB, meaty tires, GSXR front end, Excel wheels, etc etc. While this still may be true, I still may toss clip-ons on it eventually. That being said, the “build” started.
Starting disassembling my motor. The head needed to be decked, cleaned and have some valve guides replaced. I had them replaced with some KPMI(I think, been a while) that I had picked up from a member on the Honda forum. Jerry Brett does awesome machine work.
Sent out all of the following covers including my valve cover to get powder-coated (Detective Coating) in a hyper black color.
Accompanied by a nice Stainless Engine Bolt Kit from Alloy Boltz.
So Newman came through for me again making some kick-ass knee dents in my tank. Also pictured is my MotoLanna seat.
I am running Excel Takasago 18x2.5” F&R I picked up from Buchanon’s which were re-drilled so I can run my factory hubs with their SS spokes. These are currently getting new AllBallz bearings and getting laced to Silver powder-coated hubs I purchased from a member. I took a gamble for now with the tire concern since they are fairly cheap to test sizes out. I ran these tires on my last build and loved them, especially for the coin. I ordered Kenda K657(F&R) 110-90/18 & 130/90/18. A 130 may look funky(meaty) so we shall see once I get them mounted what I’m dealing with.
At this point, the short block will be getting soda blasted and primer/painted with some Dupli-color products I picked up. The color of the paint is an aluminum with ceramic resin (DE1650) and the primer is self-etching(DPP101). It’s also getting re-ringed with some new rings/gaskets/etc.
As of now, I’d like to purchase a CB650 cam to give it a little more oomph but still on the fence about it. The head/intake will be getting some light porting as well as a MotoGPWerks exhaust. The end is not near, but I am glad to have such knowledgeable, positive individuals to help point me the right direction. Stay tuned for some updates, hopefully they don’t bore you!