55 Harley Panshovel

Good to see you fabbing shit again :tup:

I like the 70’s vintage typeface on the tank, but the AMF logo is a sin.

lol say what you want but AMF tanks are in crazy demand now

Damn that’s nuts.

I have the cowbells too. But I’d need to make ANOTHER set of bars or make them riserless because these ones wouldn’t fit with a 2.5" riser spacing. haha.

I vote z-bars, pullbacks or mini apes in a not so bendy fashion

Honestly for now I will probably leave the front end alone and just get him on the road. Maybe in the winter I’ll have some time.

I like the AMF logo lol.

That last bike Walker posted looks good, minus the limp dick tail.

I might have a 16" drum spoked rear, missing the actual drum though…but it’s a stepped aluminum 16" rim. I wouldn’t want much for it at all if you can use it. I actually only THINK it’s a harley part…obtained it in a bulk parts buy with no info. welcome to check it out any time.

Thanks, but I scored one a while back. Be interested to see a picture though. If it’s aluminum it’s probably pretty new.

I’ll dig it out and snap a few pics and text you later tonight.

too bad it wasn’t an early shouldered ironhead 18"

So this weekend I worked on the controls a bit. I knew I wanted to mount to the top of the engine case, but I don’t like the hassle of installing and removing the controls by removing the motor bolts, so I modified the bolts.

Relieved the head a bit:

Welded on a nut:

Viola, easily removable motor bolt mids:

Meanwhile, got the wheel in and powdercoated the brake drum. Slave was new, that’s nice:

Panhead parts hauler:

Mounted a tire:

Then I made some parts for mids:

Welded 'em together:

Installed:

I wanted to do something cool for shifter linkage. This idea worked, but in the long term it would be headaches. Adjusting the trans for belt tension would through the gears out of wack, but I may revisit later on my knuckle build…

So this was just a test to see how the linkage worked, but it wound up requiring too much throw of the foot. The major issue here is that it’s an FL (bottom shift) drum, I could put an FX drum in there, but that’s a lot of dicking around. Since the linkage needs to cross itself and the CL of the brake pivot and drum are only 4" apart, I had to get sort of creative to clear the belt.

So I decided to stop backyarding it and actually do the math. This gobbledy-**** is how I will build the linkage for the next one:

do cool things to my bike -___-

also that gear linkage is awesome its one of my favorite things on an indian

http://www.indian-bobbers.com/indian_1946/images-in0014/1946_Indian_Chief_Engine_Kick_Start_468x311.jpg

I like it too, but primarily because it’s not the typical Harley logo. What’s the significance of these tanks / logo / AMF? Doesn’t AMF have something to do with bowling?

snip…

Ah, thanks!

Just as Subaru has L.L.Bean editions or Ford has Eddie Bauer, I had in my mind that this might be something like that.

Temporarily got the rear wheel on. These shocks are 1.5" shorter than the ones that I will be installing. There are some complications though, and I think we might be putting a non-crusty wheel on there very soon. Brian wasn’t interested in going for an 18 though, which is OK, I think either will look equally as good.

I’m really digging the look of this bike now. The round swingarm and spoked wheel really set it off.

whata difference already.:tup:

whats the cost/labor associated with making it a hardtail ? ive seen the “kits” for 200ish, is it a lot of work to install?

I wouldn’t even consider doing it for under 1500… probably more.

looking much much better.

oh, that wheel I had…found some casting marks in it…seems to be a honda 750 hub laced to a 16" aluminum wheel. I have a spare drum somewhere I gotta dig up and see if it fits to confirm. not that you’d be interested now knowing it’s not a HD part lol.

This thing looks way cooler. I don’t know how I feel about the headlight bucket, though. I’m also still trying to figure out if I like that bobbed tail…

Regardless, looks a hell of a lot better. Keep it coming.