Best nissan mechanic in Edmonton

Hi, I’m new here and i have a 92 300zx… noticed that there are a lot more 300’s here than in Calgary. Who the best mechanic in edmonton? best rates? quality of workmanship? custom work? thanx

All the best Z32 mechanics in Edmonton are ALL at Ericksen Nissan (downtown on 101st). The guys you want working on your car are (in no particular order): Jim (aka Dr. Z), Ron and Tony. Period! :wink:

Don’t even think about taking a Z32 to WestEnd Nissan. :evil:

Other than that, start learning how to do some of your own work too. It can get expensive quickly.

My first reply was addressing only your first question, regarding best mechanic(s) for Z32s. But their quality of workmanship tends to be top notch as well.

As for the rest this is where it gets tricky. Best rates is obviously not a dealership. Nissan’s shop rates have gone up to a ridiculous $85/hr. However I still maintain that the Ericksen service department has the most experience in the city working on Z32s, since that model was new.

While you may find a decent independant mechanic somewhere with a lower shop rate, no one is as well equipped as the Ericksen guys. As well, Ron & Tony have won some national competitions with the electronic troubleshooting, etc. And Jim’s been servicing Z Cars specifically for 30+ years.

Now in terms of custom work, depends what you’re after. Are you talking body, suspension, mechanical, what? I can give you recommendations on those: where to go, how to approach it, etc.

well specifically right now just looking for someone who will do some weight reduction and remove my ac, maybe later on want to get a straing through exhaust put in, paint etc

You may want to join the Calgary Z club. The president works at with me st Brasso. Im pretty sure they are pretty good when it comes time to Z as well. I cant remember the name of the other place in town thats pretty good that some of the guys at work goes through. I myself go to RCTS when I need some tuning done to my car. www.monsterhosrsepower.com or you can go through the www.calgaryzclub.ca for more information. Also at Brasso when it comes to aftermarket (performance parts) we are pretty good. Weve supercharged 2 350 Z with the Stillen supercharger kit so far.

Max

That is great advice. I’m very familiar with Brasso Nissan in Calgary, and I’ve known the guys in the Calgary Z Club (including Ernie Long) since their club was created. All great guys.

But… if you noticed the subject title and the original post, “joegrang” was asking specifically about Edmonton, not Calgary. :oops: D’oh! :lol:

P.S. I’m Vice President (and Past President) of the Edmonton Z Car Club.

Is your 92 a Twin Turbo or Normally Aspirated? I’m curious why you would want to strip the weight down and remove your AC… Are you planning to convert it from a street car to a purpose-only race car?

As far as weight reduction goes, before you go to the extent of changing the essence of the car itself, let me suggest the following:

• crank pulley -> underdrive pulley
  • stock flywheel - > aluminum flywheel
  • stock 2-piece driveshaft -> lighter 1-piece aluminum or CF driveshaft
  • pre-cats (if TT) -> downpipes
  • stock rims -> super-light aftermarket rims
  • certain pricey aftermarket brake kits tend to be lighter than stock brakes
  • stock battery -> optima battery (or other such lighter gel cell)
  • remove spare tire, jack, etc.
  • stock seats -> aftermarket seats (Recaro, etc.)

Beyond the above advice, you’re really grasping at straws. Next you’re talking:

• removing the A/C (like you mentioned) - not something I would do
  • remove the complete HICAS steering system (if a TT)
  • remove all the sound-deadening material - again something I wouldn’t do, if anything I kinda want to ADD some dynamat some day (more relevant when you have aftermarket stereo)
  • remove the factory stereo equipment I guess (never mind putting in any aftermarket gear) LOL
  • remove counter-weight on the rear hatch
  • you could replace the stock aluminum hood with a CF hood (but the hood is pretty light already).
  • ummm, uhhh…

Why do you want to do this again? :shock:

Take all this far enough and you will ruin the essence of what the 90+ 300ZX is. Just MHO, that’s all.

Hi, I’m new here and i have a 92 300zx… noticed that there are a lot more 300’s here than in Calgary. Who the best mechanic in edmonton? best rates? quality of workmanship? custom work? thanx

All the best Z32 mechanics in Edmonton are ALL at Ericksen Nissan (downtown on 101st). The guys you want working on your car are (in no particular order): Jim (aka Dr. Z), Ron and Tony. Period! :wink:

Don’t even think about taking a Z32 to WestEnd Nissan. :evil:

Other than that, start learning how to do some of your own work too. It can get expensive quickly.

My first reply was addressing only your first question, regarding best mechanic(s) for Z32s. But their quality of workmanship tends to be top notch as well.

As for the rest this is where it gets tricky. Best rates is obviously not a dealership. Nissan’s shop rates have gone up to a ridiculous $85/hr. However I still maintain that the Ericksen service department has the most experience in the city working on Z32s, since that model was new.

While you may find a decent independant mechanic somewhere with a lower shop rate, no one is as well equipped as the Ericksen guys. As well, Ron & Tony have won some national competitions with the electronic troubleshooting, etc. And Jim’s been servicing Z Cars specifically for 30+ years.

Now in terms of custom work, depends what you’re after. Are you talking body, suspension, mechanical, what? I can give you recommendations on those: where to go, how to approach it, etc.

well specifically right now just looking for someone who will do some weight reduction and remove my ac, maybe later on want to get a straing through exhaust put in, paint etc

You may want to join the Calgary Z club. The president works at with me st Brasso. Im pretty sure they are pretty good when it comes time to Z as well. I cant remember the name of the other place in town thats pretty good that some of the guys at work goes through. I myself go to RCTS when I need some tuning done to my car. www.monsterhosrsepower.com or you can go through the www.calgaryzclub.ca for more information. Also at Brasso when it comes to aftermarket (performance parts) we are pretty good. Weve supercharged 2 350 Z with the Stillen supercharger kit so far.

Max

That is great advice. I’m very familiar with Brasso Nissan in Calgary, and I’ve known the guys in the Calgary Z Club (including Ernie Long) since their club was created. All great guys.

But… if you noticed the subject title and the original post, “joegrang” was asking specifically about Edmonton, not Calgary. :oops: D’oh! :lol:

P.S. I’m Vice President (and Past President) of the Edmonton Z Car Club.

Is your 92 a Twin Turbo or Normally Aspirated? I’m curious why you would want to strip the weight down and remove your AC… Are you planning to convert it from a street car to a purpose-only race car?

As far as weight reduction goes, before you go to the extent of changing the essence of the car itself, let me suggest the following:

• crank pulley -> underdrive pulley
  • stock flywheel - > aluminum flywheel
  • stock 2-piece driveshaft -> lighter 1-piece aluminum or CF driveshaft
  • pre-cats (if TT) -> downpipes
  • stock rims -> super-light aftermarket rims
  • certain pricey aftermarket brake kits tend to be lighter than stock brakes
  • stock battery -> optima battery (or other such lighter gel cell)
  • remove spare tire, jack, etc.
  • stock seats -> aftermarket seats (Recaro, etc.)

Beyond the above advice, you’re really grasping at straws. Next you’re talking:

• removing the A/C (like you mentioned) - not something I would do
  • remove the complete HICAS steering system (if a TT)
  • remove all the sound-deadening material - again something I wouldn’t do, if anything I kinda want to ADD some dynamat some day (more relevant when you have aftermarket stereo)
  • remove the factory stereo equipment I guess (never mind putting in any aftermarket gear) LOL
  • remove counter-weight on the rear hatch
  • you could replace the stock aluminum hood with a CF hood (but the hood is pretty light already).
  • ummm, uhhh…

Why do you want to do this again? :shock:

Take all this far enough and you will ruin the essence of what the 90+ 300ZX is. Just MHO, that’s all.