BIG change for the STi

Last winter I learned that although I did love the ride on the STi, it just was no practical for what I do. I have no plans on auto-crossing it, but I do daily drive it which includes going up to my dad’s hunting came quite a few times during the year. Unfortunately the STi just didn’t cut it on the back country dirt roads. After ripping the bumper off once and having to replace the JDM fog cover, I knew something had to be done. I did not want to get rid of the car because I still love it. Buying a secondary truck would be a waste of money because it would only be used a few times a year and would end up being a money pit in maintenance. Mix that with my redneck, southern roots and light bulbs lit up.

After some research I found that the Subaru forester struts and springs were a direct bolt on to my car and it would net roughly 2" of lift over factory ride height. Mix that with the current 1"ish drop I had and we are left with what a Subaru was designed to be like…:

I am measuring just over 6.5" of ground clearance to the lowest point and 8.75" of clearance to the rear differential. Which leaves me with MORE ground clearance than my wife’s Jeep Liberty… lol.

I know this is probably nobody else’ ‘cup of tea’ but it is my car, I like it, and it is practical for me. So let the flaming begin.

Before anyone asks, no I am not selling any of my other suspension components. I eventually plan on picking up just a base model WRX and swapping this suspension onto that and putting the STi back to how it was. This way I can really put a beating on the WRX without the costs associated with damaging my beloved STi… lol.

Flame suit is on so flame away!

I’ll get some better pictures tomorrow.

How is the ride quality for DD?

I’m confused as to what parts you actually did use, but it looks badass. I Love Subarus that have ground clearance and can be driven off road.

I haven’t taken it for a ride yet, but the King springs are designed to be a slightly taller but also stiffer spring… so no I won’t be able to corner quite like I could before (minor body roll and some sidewall roll once I get the new tires on there) but it should still be able to perform pretty well. The ride should be a bit smoother for daily driving.

Looks like a fun ride dude.

I used the forester struts, forester King springs, and the forester control arm bracket. The bracket is to keep the rear wheel centered in the fender… with the stock bracket, it would almost rub the front.

now u just need some meatier tires.

Once I get my 18s sold I already have a set of tires picked out.

Now you just need to figure out where to put the deer.

I like the look

Some new pictures this morning:

Obligatory offroad ‘flex’ pictures. Still needs a little better approach angle… lol:

'Merica:

I like it. Needs rally armor flaps now

FUCK YES… SO MUCH FUCKING WIN

mudflaps for sure!! this is great

Nice. Doesn’t it handle like a bag of dicks now though?

having had 2 lifted Subarus myself, they handle pretty good still with very little difference from stock.

The King springs I got are slightly stiffer than factory Forester springs so the handling really won’t change much. I will have slightly more body roll and once I put the larger tires on I will have slightly more sidewall roll. But for daily driving and even some spirited driving, there really won’t be much of a difference.

I’m actually surprised at the lack of hate. I know almost everyone on here is all about stretch and crap. That’s it, where’s Benny??? He always hates :hug

Get the Subaru fan boi armor flaps and call it a day!

Needs moar MUD