Blank DVDs?

So I’m a DVD “backup” noob. I’ve fingered out that I’m going to use DVDFab, but have heard certain brands of DVDs are better for more widespread compatability after the burn. Any suggstions on brands to buy/avoid? Prob. just going to pick something up at BestBuy or OfficeMax after work.

:touchy:

ehhh I usually get whatever is on sale…right now I think Memorex are on sale at Office Depot, 100 pack for ~$23…I burn mostly movies so I get +Rs

Yeah, I would just make sure it’s a name brand and you are using +R’s like OfficerK said.

It depends on the brand and model number of the burner you have.
Certain Burners like certain Media Brands.

I know its dumb but thats how it works. Do a search for “burner make” DVDR compatiility

I’m assuming DL if want to rip the whole movie?

And that makes sense Violator.

DL if u want the best picture without compression.

some movies don’t use the whole DL disc though… something to keep in mind. (I’ve seen dvd’s that only use 2-3gb of the 8)

also, make sure your burner is compatible with the media.

I picked up some DL dvd’s only to find out that my, albeit cheep-o, burner doesn’t like them

I’m assuming, poping said DVD in, will let me know how much space I’ll need, and I can trim out features to fit it on a smaller disc.

Is the 120 min rating legit? I would think it would vary a lot based on other content, audio tracks, etc.

The vast majority of my movie rips are on single layer. I always use customize in DVDFab and backup just the movie and 5.1 soundtrack. 95% of the time doing that requires so little compression it’s impossible to tell the difference on my 51" 1080i display with an upconverting dvd player. On the rare movie where it might require a lot of compression and I’m really concerned about quality I’ll use a dual layer (like Transformers). DVDFab will show you how much it has to compress the movie as you’re making changes in the customize section. I’ve used ridata, memorex, verbatim and never had disk issues.

Lately though I’ve been sticking with Verbatim because I’ve heard bad things about the cheaper media’s long term reliability.

i just download movies now, all HDDVD

alot of the stuff you buy at the store is shit media.

Scratches easy, etc…

Spend some money on some taiyo yuden media and you won’t go back.

[quote=“JustinH,post:11,topic:38606"”]

Scratches easy, etc…

[/quote]

justin, online only? or do local places sell it too?

[quote=“BuickGN,post:10,topic:38606"”]

i just download movies now, all HDDVD

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan, PM me the log in info:retard:

[quote=“JustinH,post:11,topic:38606"”]

Scratches easy, etc…

[/quote]

i think this is one of the rare occasions i will agree with justin. and the first where ive seen him post saying “spend money”.

:tup:

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:12,topic:38606"”]

justin, online only? or do local places sell it too?

[/quote]

I’ve never seen it in a store bud.

People wouldn’t know what it was…

People buy “brand names” such as sony/memorex/verbatim whatever, and don’t understand that they are just getting shit media with a brand name screenprinted on it.

All media has a manufacturer code on it, alot of software will decode it for you, and say what your media really is.

I buy from rima.com

Ritek is another decent brand, but not the mack daddy of media.

I’ve used it all, and now i refuse to buy crap in a store.

[quote=“evolve,post:14,topic:38606"”]

i think this is one of the rare occasions i will agree with justin. and the first where ive seen him post saying “spend money”.

:tup:

[/quote]

true i’m a jew bastard for the most part.

i get mine from meritline.com

i get my shit from supermediastore.com they have great prices