DVD Burning

I’ve got
-A Lite-On LDW-411S DVD +/- burner.
-A spindle of Memorex 4.7G DVD-R’s
-Nero 6 Ultra Edition

Perfect right? Nope. It’s not seeing a blank disk. “No disc inserted or drive not ready. Please try again.” I’m trying to burn Data DVD’s.

I tried updating the drive’s firmware. No improvement. I can burn CD’s fine. I “think” I’ve burned DVD’s before but it’s been so long that I’m not positive.

Any ideas?

How old is the drive? PM me your AIM…

It’s a couple years old. Came out right before before DL became available. Thanks but it just started working. I ran some check drive type Nero utility, and it started working. Only burning at 2x, but whatever.

AIM is drumroll… BikerFry! Not that I’ve launched aim in 6 months. :stuck_out_tongue:

hahaha, nice… Might be time to get a new one since they are so dirt cheap now… You can get a DL DVD +/- for $35…

Check your PM’s.

Mine was the same way… I have to use +R.

Anywho, if you want something really good and easy to use to copy DVD’s I have Licensed cpoies of AvyDVD and CloneDVD.

Nero went through all the motions of burning a DVD… Without actually writing anything. :uhh: JayS to the rescue though. I’ll try different software.

Yeah, I think I’m going to build a new rig in a month or two.

See I’m trying to burn picture files onto data DVD’s as backup in case a hard drive starts to smoke or something. The hard drive that they’re on is old to the point that when I bought it (80 gig) I had the most memory of anyone in my circle of geeks at 100 gigs total.

That, plus being known for having the kiss of death with computer hardware, means I’m trying to make a backup of the last couple years of my life while I can. :tup:

Sho nuff. Found a few DVD+RW’s laying around and they recognize just fine. Anyone want a spindle of 25 Memorex DVD-R’s? They were $7 bucks at Circuit City last week so I’ll let them go for the low low price of one beer. Or free to a good home. :tup:

Cliffs:
Which DVD burner should I buy?

Full text:
:wtf: I thought LiteOn was the Honda of optical drives? I’ve got a maybe 2 year old DVD +/- burner (LDW-411S). Aside from the above mentioned random DVD+RW discs I had laying around, I’ve tried Memorex and TDK DVD-R discs and Memorex DVD+R discs. The drive can’t even so much as tell that there’s a disc in the drive. I’ve tried about 4 different firmware versions, with no change.

Now I need it to work, as we just got our wedding DVD and since it’s basically priceless to us I want to copy it and put a copy in the fireproof safe before it gets scratched.

So… Is there a DVD burner that’s compellingly better than the rest? Newegg’s got some LiteOn, LG, and Samsung drives that will burn everything known to man (besides blue-ray) for $30 bones. Which one? Lightscribe can kiss my ass. I’ve got a sharpie.