DVD-R drive spools, won't read discs

My DVD-R drive decided it won’t read DVDs - It sits and spools up and down, but never loads them.

I’ve tried:
Pulling the jumper from “master” to “slave” and back, no avail
Putting in DVDs, DVD-Rs, DVD-RWs, etc, but no go
Putting in a “known good” drive - does the same deal

This seems like it has no software, only firmware? I downloaded what I think is the correct firmware but it didn’t seem to do anything.

What else can I try? I’ll get a model # when I get home, TIA :tup:

listening.

I’m having a similar problem. Mine will read DVD’s just fine, but not data CD’s. and I can only play the DVDs with media center.

The drive is probably junk…

I have a LG dvd burner in my computer that stopped reading discs at all.

It does record them fine…

So, I bought another DVDROM drive for like 9 bucks to play discs back in, and I can do 1:1 copies to the LG, it still burns.

Does it read CDs fine?

Usually when they do weird shit like this they are dirty or toast.

The DVD does not work in a known good drive or you actually put a known good dvd-r drive in the slot and that does not work.

Spend $25 and get a new one?

Up.

I put a “known good” drive in the slot, put in a brand-new DVD game, and it will not play.

Try a new cable, if not that then the IDE channel is dead…

Your way out of that would be a PCI IDE card, like a promise card or something.

I’d try a new cable and power connector from a different source from the PSU. Don’t just attach the next one on the same wire!

These things brick for no reason whatsoever often.

Theyre cheap, get a new one thats going to be significantly faster anyways.

Mine wont read one disk for some odd reason. Shows it blank every time like its a black cd. All others work fine and the disk works fine on other comps.

TrueBlue, the quickest and easiest way to see if it’s a defective drive or software is to try and load a bootable cd/dvd. Whether you use the ultimate/hirens/multi boot cd, a live linux disc, or a windows install disc.

Next question is do cd’s work in the drive. if one works and not the other, it’s 99% of the time going to be a defective drive (like Paulo’s case) but does the drive show up in my computer, or if you go to device manager (right click on my computer, click manage, then choose device manager) is there a yellow warning over the cd drive?