BMW Owners/enthusiasts- Any validity to using "only BMW specific fluids"? Or BS?

So… yeah. I hate to be taken for a sucker and falling for BS marketing, but the legit BMW fluids are generally only a couple bucks more at the dealer. But then again I just got the car and would really like to flush everything so that couple bucks would add up to a couple hundred right quick.

Input?

Thx

what vehicle?

I know that later M-series motors have usually recommended that Castrol 10w-60 for oil which is usually available at any auto parts store

are you talking about trans and diff fluid also?

E46. Specifically 2005 330Ci coupe auto. Car is pretty much bone stock. I would like to know my options with all fluids. I know BMW specifies synthetic engine oil and trans fluids, not sure about rear diff, etc but in any case I know BMW vehemently specifies using THEIR OEM versions of all fluids (of course). Then again, pretty much all manufacturers do but we all know that’s BS.

If it were my e46 330Ci I would have no problem using non BMW specific fluids.

I just changed my rear diff oil with Lucas on my E30 and that’s an LSD where your 330Ci comes stock with an open diff.

I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t consider the 330Ci to be a high strung sports car that needs dealer specific fluids. o

On the flipside when I changed out my trans fluid on my 996tt the Mobil 1 with the proper viscosity was ONLY available at the dealer in a 55gal drum!

I schmoozed the parts guy into selling it to me by the qt but I had to bring my own container LOL.

check out the oil certifications for the dealer oil and most likely you will find that aftermarket stuff will meet or exceed those thresholds.

Iv just about done every oil change in my e46 with mobil 1 euro formula. Also did diff and trans with mobile 1. Never have had a problem. Motor, trans and clutch have over 160,000 miles.

• Updated - - -

Also pretty sure Bmw switched it up on who use to be there oil supplier. Use to be Castrol but I don’t think it is anymore. @goff could answer that I probably. Also shed some light on the subject.

BMW has specific coolant as well, but I just use the generic stuff.

I use BMW coolant but Mobil 1 oil. I haven’t decided what to use in the transmission or diff but I doubt it will be OEM stuff.

I have also ditched the oem stuff, Mobil 1 in the engine and royal purple in the trains and diff. And running the “all makes and model” coolant also.

“BMW” oil for your car is(was) Castrol 5w30 in their own fancy branding/bottles.
however supposedly Mobil1 0w40 is typically preferred by most owners that have BMWs in my experience.
Theres nothing special about Castrol oil, in fact BMW doesn’t carry it anymore (
)they’ve switched over to Shell Oil now, so if you go get “BMW” oil now you’re not even getting the exact same thing - I don’t think your car knows a difference, you will probably not notice a difference, and I would still recommend Mobil1 0w40…ran it in my E46 for 5 years car ran great, and most E46fanatics members when i frequented there did the same.
I don’t know a whole lot about the other fluids, other than I’ve ran prestone in my E46 (zero problems), and my E60(zero problems) up until last week when I was at the dealer anyway and I changed to their coolant…its Blue, not yellow green…other differences than color? doubt it

I use BMW approved fluids, but not necessarily OEM fluids…like most have said BMW oil isnt anything you cant just buy off a shelf. I use Castrol 0W-40 Euro and it works great. Many non BMW fluids are actually preferred by most owners I know for availability and added protection at the same or even lower cost.

Awesome guys thanks tons for the info :tup:

im going to be doing an oil change in my car this weekend…

going with rotella t6 in my s52

i do what the car tells me to do

yea t6 is pretty universal that I’ve found.

side bar, hopefully getting an e46 next week

Im in San Diego till Monday night BTW