School me v. BMW gurus (specifically M3)

A friend of mine just purchased a pretty clean '04 E46 M3, and I’m looking to help him out with info on potential problems/weak points that he may come across. He’s also looking to do some light mods (i.e. intake, exhaust, tuning options) to start, and maybe a power adder down the road (which I told him would really not be necessary).

Any info or HELPFULL hints would be appreciated. I obviously expect some abuse, given the nature of this forum. Any questions for me as far as current mods the car has, etc. I will direct back to him and get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks in advance.

Ready, GO!

Edit: car has 106,xxx on it if that helps…

I hope he’s ready to spend some money on modding the car. Even if its light mods. Where did he pick the car up from? southern car, local car, dealership? smg or 6 speed? any mods now?

make sure the cooling system is up to snuff just like with all BMW’s that is the weak point

RTABs go on these don’t they?

RTAB’s were mostly an issue on the early e46 run so i would say his 04 will be fine

Yep, Waterpump/tstat/radiator. RTAB’s.

I’m releasing a Brembo BBK adapter set by the first week of May (if all goes well) for e46’s.

Tell him to buy Kellners sport cams and the OEM CSL intake that’s for sale on BF.c right now.

talk about spending some coin LOL

I already warned him. Car was picked up from Houston, it’s a 6 speed, and there are no mods to speak of that we can see…his big concern right now is a K&N cold-air for some unknown reason. I told him his best bet would be, and correct me if I’m wrong, a tune. First and fore-most.

I’ll let him know about the cams, but I don’t think his pockets are deep enough yet for a factory CSL intake. Not sure if he’d be interested in brake upgrades.

What’s the specific problem with radiator? Bad tanks?

his first concern should be getting low and wide LOL

He’s not a stance guy, but I giggled.

the OEM CSL intake is $4k (used) hahahaha, I think the cams are $3000, but require Service II/reshim and a retune.

Radiator end tanks pop, like every BMW ever made.

THIS is prett usefull

LOL@both spelling errors

Can mods delete this please? I’ll do my own research.

why would that require deleting the thread?

Why does it matter?

exactly!

I see what you did there…

The rear subframe reinforcement kit is a good preventative maintenance, if he plans on flogging it around a bit. My M was good at 108k miles, so it may have been fine forever, but for a relatively cheap price, you can have peace of mind forever by beefing that up. There is some Vanos maintenance too, like filter, and maybe the upgraded gear thingie too, as well as the Vanos cam bolts that back out for some reason.

^^Thanks.