Calling all BMW people

Well the Supra is almost gone, one piece at a time, and I am looking for another car. I think I am going to go over to the BMW world and I am looking for a E36 M3 Convertible. For those people that know a lot of these cars what should I be looking for when I go see it?

Thanks for the help,

Joel

Same things you’d be looking for in any other car.

Service records showing regular maintenance, if there aren’t any records of the cooling system being overhauled within 60k miles or so you’ll want to do that (waterpump, stat, etc.)

There aren’t any MAJOR issues with the cars, you’re looking for a vert so it’ll be 96+. The motors are strong, and pretty much bullet proof as long as you keep them cool.

In the service records you’ll also want to look for suspension maintenance, mainly rear trailing arm bushings, front control arm bushings, diff bushings, etc. You can probably get a really well maintained, clean vert for 8-12k depending on year/mileage/condition.

If you get one that hasn’t seen much maintenance I’d set aside about $500 for cooling stuff, and about $1k for basic suspension maintenance if you’re doing everything yourself. That should take care of anything mechanical that will fail inside of another 100k miles. Don’t be afraid of cars close to/pushing 150k either, these are drivers cars and they can take a lot of abuse as long as you take care of them.

Look around the interior for door panels coming off, windows being dicks, and be ware of ghetto alarm/stereo installs.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. He said that the following has been done and he has owned the car since '06 and it has 117k on it. It is a 1999.

• New Rear Differential 8/3/08
  • Water Pump 8/3/08
  • Front Struts bearings and bushings 11/4/10
  • Brakes all around Rotors and Pads 11/4/10
  • Tune up Spark plugs wires Etc 11/4/10
  • 02 Sensor 8/8/11
  • Sub Frame bushings 8/8/11
  • H&R Race Springs
  • Dinan Exhaust
  • Hamann Short Shifter

Can’t find any info about the Hamann Short shifter though?

I think I am going on Thursday to take a look and I will take my trailer with me just in case it is worth coming back with.

Joel

Sounds like a very solid car so long as all that work can be proved. The next things I see it needing if it hasn’t seem it yet is new control arm bushings front and rear, and rear trailing arm bushings.

What’s he asking for the car? Just curious as to where they are in the market?

he is asking 7k. I’m around that or maybe a little higher if it is a nice car.

Do you know any around?

Joel

You can buy my '97 sedan for much cheaper than that…

I saw a few but I want a M3 Convertible, not sedan.

Joel

E36 M3 convertibles are cool… If you like dudes.

Really? Are we gonna go the immature route on my post. GTFO…

Thanks,
Joel

This is shift518 dude, don’t expect mature posts or threads ever.

You GTFO.

Thanks,
Admin

On a serious note, why not just get an E46 convertible? They’re much better looking (but still ugly), and since you don’t care about performance you might as well get the newest you can afford.

Throwing around the Admin badge eh?

I just want a convertible, rear wheel drive, that the Wife and kid can fit into without losing all performance. The E36 M3 fit those variables and I didn’t have to spend a small fortune for (Since it would only be driven in the summer). Open to any other ideas if they fit my requisites.

Joel

I think an E46 maybe be a better option, non-M of course. I feel the styling of the E46s (both facelift and non) are better suited for a convertible. If you’re not specific to BMW, what about an MB SLK or similar?

Chrysler Lebaron.

or this

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSq0hcQAn7bIHTk45HAjJ6wsTPeUq0vz_hpnD4UQRgRsR8RT9OP4594Fv9I

:facepalm

you really suck as an admin, really.suck.

sounds like you know what you want and probably found a good one already. Of course always look in the forum for sale sections before finding them for sale elsewhere.

good luck finding the E36, i dont like verts but love the platform

oh and why was i not surprised to see benny being the first one to reply to this thread? LOL

E46s fucking suck, shitty advice.

^ not when they have an s54

truth