boyd coddington a possible perp?

On Wednesday the 6th of October, 22 law enforcement agents and other individuals from the State of California, Department of Justice Fraud Division, Department of Motor Vehicles, California Highway Patrol, Department of Automotive Repair and others arrived with guns drawn and flak vests on at the shop of Boyd Coddington Hot Rods & Collectibles (La Habra, California).

No, this wasn’t the making of an episode of American Hotrod but rather a bona fide attempt to serve a warrant issued and carried out by duly vested officers for the purpose of investigating Boyd Coddington on the suspicion of fraud. The alleged fraud charges stemmed from an ongoing investigation by the State of California that has for the past several years been limited to the kit car industry but has now been expanded to the street rod industry. The State of California is looking for cars that meet one or more of the following criteria that would lead to registration or license fee fraud.

Street Rodder has learned via e-mail communications with Robert Morgester, the Deputy Attorney General Special Crimes Unit for the State of California Department of Justice, "The California Attorney General’s Office has been conducting an investigation into the fraudulent registration of replica vehicles. The initial investigation was limited to Cobra replica vehicles due to known VIN sequences. We are aware that the same fraudulent vehicle registration issues apply to other replica vehicles and hot rods.

To correct a common misunderstanding of California law, it is a felony to do the following:

1. Register a vehicle where the year of vehicle is misrepresented;
  2. Register a vehicle where the value of the vehicle is understated; or
  3. Register a vehicle where the year of the vehicle is misrepresented to avoid compliance with California smog laws.

Any of the above actions are a felony in violation of Vehicle Code Section 4463(a). Additionally, the above actions constitute the crime of perjury, in that all statement of facts contained in California DMV documents are taken under penalty of perjury."

In speaking with Boyd Coddington he told SRM that the State of California seized certain company records for further investigation. Boyd also told SRM that three license plates were removed from vehicles within his consignment shop. These vehicles were built decades ago by the likes of Fat Jack and Pete & Jake’s. Apparently the state of California is looking into any improprieties that would lead to the state being “shorted” tax or registration dollars.

Boyd also told SRM that he had to show records proving such vehicles as the Whatthehey and the Alumatub were legally registered and taxed, which they were. He also had to show records on two of his Boydster’s that were built and given away as to how they were registered and how were the vehicle’s values determined and did the new owners pay the appropriate taxes. At the time of this writing it appears Boyd’s business has done everything according to the law but that SRM has been told the investigations will not stop with his shop. Boyd was singled out because of his “visibility” on the television show American Hot Rod and that other California builders would soon be paid a visit.

Additionally, SRM learned that law enforcement officials, it is believed were California Highway Patrol, recently visited the Labor Day Cruise, held annually in Costa Mesa at the fairgrounds, looking for “suspicious” vehicles. When asked what constituted a “suspicious vehicle” it was determined that any fiberglass car is suspect.

Again, according to the Office of the Attorney General from the State of California, its Department of Justice, "To date, the ongoing investigation has identified at least five other out-of-state companies that have provided fraudulent vehicle purchase agreements and titles to California vehicle owners. The companies are in Alabama, Nevada, New York and Florida. The Attorney General’s Office believes as many as 70,000 vehicles have been illegally registered in California through these scam operations.

so when can we finally let california drift off to sea?

as soon as u stop posting shit from october :stuck_out_tongue:

jelous people … such bullshit

thats sooo stupid… cali’s pissed because a few cars might not of paied the right amount of tax or hasnt handed over ehough money to them… sooo instead of dropping it they are going to spend tons of money on people to research/fight this case just for a few bucks

THATS FROM OCTOBER OF 2004 !!!

its ove a year old … lol

Ehh, it’s Boyd… Don’t care for him. Met him at SEMA 04, what an ass. Looked pissed to be there.

yeah, IMO boyd coddington is a prick. nothing more than a rich boy with a garage. i’ll bet that out of every car made in that shop, 98% never see him doing anything to physically work on the car. he’s nothing more than finger-pointer (i want that, make it look like this, paint it that color, etc) and check-writer. if he had to build one of those cars from scratch all by himself, i doubt he could do it, and if he could, it wouldnt be anywhere near as good as some of the stuff that comes out of his shop.

to be honest, i bet theres people on this forum that know more about cars than he does an can do better work than he can.

do you think boyd started his business just pointing fingers?, i doubt it

:werd: seriously…if you grow a business and still try to run it like a 3 man operation…it’s not going to work. Boyd makes loads of cash, and has steady stream of orders because he’s not in there turning wrenches, he’s getting customers and making deals. I’m sure he was hands on when it was 1 or 2 cars a year, then 3 or 4…etc…

yea, I always say: The majority of self made rich pricks were down to earth, hard working, good guys at one point.

-Cheater-

granted ive never been to his shop and never seen him work, but from what ive seen on TV (which may or may not be an accurate representation of his work ethic), he seems more interested in sitting at a desk and walking around looking at stuff than he does working on cars. serriously, if u start a company that is based on your desinges, your wanys of doing things, your way of building motors, shaping body parts etc, then you should be on the shop floor physically working to make sure that your reputaion is upheld in thr porduct. if you are making enough money to where you need to spend time managing the bussiness, then you can afford to hire 1 or 2 people to do that for you so that you can be out in the shop making sure that what your company is making is what you advertise. that said, what makes Boyd Coddington hot rods so specail anymore? shit, anyone can go buy a fucking kit car and hire a bunch of people that kno what they’re doing to put it gether. it takes a real craftsman to really build something special. another example: the real West Caos Choppers were made when Jesse James actually built everything by hand, now everything is all pre-manufactured and thrown together buy some bike mechanics he hires. again, something msot people could do and.or hire a few people to do. one reason i am such a big fan of Chip Foose is because he actually is involved hands on in his cars from drawing them up to actually going out and turning wrenches. its all about money…once u have money and u figure out you can pay people to do your job, u really dont give a shit anymore. all you care about is money. you realize that you dont have to go work 80 hours a week to make just enough to say alive anymore. at the same time, when you were working 80 hours a week, you were turning out an amazing product that truely was something special. and to be honest, real custom cars, and real custom bikes dont come from shops anymore. they come from people who work thier asses off all day at work, come home and go out in thier little cramped one car garage and start wrenching on thier project that they will do most everything on from start to finish. i cant stand when people take all this rpide in some custom thing that they went and threw down 100 grand and said ‘build me this.’ the people that should take pride in thier cars is the people who, with thier own blood sweat and tears, build something from the gound up. those are cars that deserve it.

anyone can throw down a stack of cash on the table and say ‘i want this…make it happen’ but it takes some1 really specail to actually go and build it for themselves.

thats all im saying…not to start shit or anyting, but feel free to reem me out over what i just said

:shrug: from the shows I’ve seen… it seemed like boyd was pretty involved in the design of his cars. Sure he’s not fabricating shit… but thats why he’s paying others to do it (just like any other buisness).

I mean… the guy who started mighty taco I bet was making the tacos from the beginning… and once it took off, hired others to take over (and eventually turned into the chain).

their still damn good :tup:

Then how can Chip Foose be so hands on and successful?

By raising his fees based on supply / demand. He’s 1 person (so his supply is fixed) and people keep adding to the demand, so his fees are probably pretty extreme.

You can pretty much go 2 ways:

1.) Remain a small operation and raise fees as demand increases

2.) Hire and train other people to do things your way and increase supply to meet demand, while keeping your fees reasonable

because he has a good personality and runs his biz by example.

boyd on the other hand likes to scream and yell, thinks everyone is against him, holds grudges, and is clueless when theres a problem with a car

whens the last time someone walked off overhaulin because foose pissed him off ? how many people have quite / been fired on boyds show ? (and wheer did one of them wind up getting a new job?)

Taxes for registration are based on vehicle sales amount. His cars, as shitty as they are, are super expensive. He would be frauding the state out of a significant amount of money. Enough to buy a house kind of money.

quite a few, and his main body guy went to foose because he wanted to do jobs that weren’t rushed all the time.

yup! charlie was more then happy to take the laid back approach with foose, instead of getting 2 hours to do a 5 hour paint job at boyds

i think the reason boyd gets so many rush jobs is because he tends to take the rush jobs

at the last minute, someone wants a car for sema, and all the other major shops go “no way, not enough time” but boyd is like “sure, my guys have done junkyard restos in 2 weeks …they can do it again”

:word:

Foose > Boyd in some many ways it’s not funny… well maybe it is.

lil off-topic…mike the CAD Machine shop guy also left for Foose