Break in question

So my buddy recently got his car broken into, and they took the standard things, but they also took his registration and insurance papers. What should he do?

IIRC the Department of Motor Vehicles or was it the DEA (I always get those two mix up) would handle matters in lost registration. However I do not hold a degree in traffic laws an practices.

Lost insurance card, thats the really though one. If he was getting a brand new card I would suggest the insurance company. But a replacement card, hmmmm… I think he should request a new one from the local city/town hall that would have a copy on record.

I’m sure your insurance company will give you replacement cards.

Would good does it do the thief’s???

it may have your home address on it, did they get a set of keys too?

usually the insurance package comes with 2 insurance card, right?

at least that is the case my Geico. I always have another one ready.

also, Geico has the capability to printout insurance card online…

insurance card is no biggie… just about all companies have the ability to e-mail you a insurance card that you can just print out.

I would call the DMV and his insurance agent. Let them tell him what to do with their documents.

I would call the Ghost Busters.

I had my car broken into once. They stole all my cds, cd player, tools, cloths…everything. Even my Calogn. Bastards. the trooper that showed up knew my dad and he had a “talk” with me to make sure I didn’t do anything stupid like try to find the person and shoot them lol. He even told my dad to lock my guns up in my dad’s gun cabinet. I work my ass off for what I have and if I ever catch anybody breaing into my car I will shoot them dead on the spot no questions asked.

that would be smart

flawless response. :clap:

I’ll just say he was trying to start my car on fire lol. In NYS it is LEGAL to shoot someone dead on the spot of they are cought commiting arson.

The registration doesn’t have any sensitive indentity theft type info on it so your friend should be fine there. I just checked my Geico insurance card and it doesn’t have any real sensitive info either. If it had a drivers license number that would be something to worry about.

I’d be more concerned that the person who broke into my car now has my home address. Hopefully there weren’t any house keys in the car?

If all you wanted to know was how to get them replaced please disregard all this and I’ll hop on the hate bandwagon with the others.

flip-flopper.

Yeah he was worried about them having his address. Thanks everyone.

This shit happened to me when my car was broken into.

You will need to get a form from the police station with the information stating it was broken into, then take that to the DMV and they will print you a new registration free of charge. At least when this happened to me in Septermber/October that’s what I was required to do.