Bring the S15 here!

I was just reading an old article in Sport Compact Car (May 2000 issue, amazing what I find under my bed) and just reading the review and so on and so forth I think the S15 will do very well here. With the rise in the demand for people who want sports cars at a really affordable price (Mazdaspeed Miata, Pontiac Solstice, etc) It would be really nice if Nissan brought back the S15 and gave it another shot here in North America! It would be a great alternative to a 350z is they want a sports car that’s affordable. Its a great car, without any aero accessories it looks nice and simple, the price is $22,336 US, 246 hp and 202 lb-ft torque with acceleration from 0-60 in 5.6 sec! Gawd I want a Silvia soooooooooooooooooooooooo bad…sucks living in North America sometimes, who’s in moving to Japan with me? :lol:

Pfft…no guarantee that even if they brought it here that we would get it. Look at the GTO and the Evo 8. They don’t meet our crash standards, so we simply don’t get them.

But hey, the Toyota Echo Hatchback and Pontiac Pursuit are Canadian only models. That makes up for it…right? Right? Someone in Transport Canada needs to fucking die.

yeah but the GTO is gay and yeah Transport Canada is gay too 'cause of the Evo not coming here…but geez, S15 would probably sell even better now here in North America because people want it because of the debut of the D1 in the US and of course Forumla D on G4TV.

The GTO is only gay if you’re a hater! :smiley: Actually, they’re pretty badass mechanically, if not in the style department.

The only reason we don’t get the Evo 8 is…are you ready for this…because Transport Canada has a guideline in 5mph crash tests as to how much it costs to repair the car. In a 5mph crash, the Evo’s intercooler gets damaged, and since it crosses the allowable threshold of damage, we don’t get the Evo. It isn’t because it’s not safe, it’s because people in TC are morons. Who expects to be in a 5 mph crash and come out with no damage?

so gay…I dunno’ Nissan has a lot of cars that would do wonders over here in North America. They should expand their vehicle line here, (sorta’ good market) that’s what I think.

Bah…you’re thinking like an enthusiast though. Try thinking like a businessman.

What’s the number 1, 2, and 3 selling car in North America?
1 - Ford F150
2 - Chevrolet Silverado / GMC Sierra
3 - Dodge Ram.

Seriously.

If anything Nissan is moving AWAY from the Japanese products to build models specific to the NA market. Look at the Frontier and Titan - neither one is available outside North America. Nor is the Pathfinder, although a smaller engined version of the X-Trail is available internationally. The only reason the 350Z is popular now is because they gave it a big, torquey 6 cylinder engine. Imagine if they gave it a 4 cylinder motor you really had to pound on to get the best performance. They wouldn’t sell half as many.

Despite what the tuner community will have you believe, the Mustang will outsell the 350Z, s2000, Eclipse, WRX/STi, and Evo COMBINED. North Americans like big lazy torque in big lazy cars - that’s why Nissan won’t bother with high performance cars over here like the s15. Look at the Supra TT / RX-7 TT / 300ZX TT - all amazingly high performance cars. When you look around trying to buy them, they’re few and far between. Wanna buy a Mustang or Camaro? Pick up the local paper and read a few ads. The North American market is unique unto itself. Europe can be largely categorized overall for cars, as can the Asias and so on. North America is steadfast in our “automotive independence” - overall we don’t care what’s happening in the rest of the car world because we don’t have to.

It sucks ass - because I’m an enthusiast too. Anything high performance is great in my book, but from a business perspective a lot of these cars just won’t fit into the bottom line of the auto makers here.

Just another chance to screw us over.

They’ll never bring back anything with an SR20 or RB, even in Japan. Just way too expensive.

Exactly.

well…market it under the Infinite badging…

Just wait - the next gen Skyline they’re working on will look like the G35 coupe with aero kit and a wing, but the rumor mill is saying that it’ll come with a 3.0-3.3 L TT version of the VQ35 w/ AWD. Now if they’ll only bring THAT version over here… :wink:

It is coming here.

Its will be based on the next G35 chassis, the current one will be outdated by the time they have a GTR ready for production.

Look at the Frontier and Titan - neither one is available outside North America. Nor is the Pathfinder, although a smaller engined version of the X-Trail is available internationally.

The Pathfinder over yonder is the Terrano (I think) The X-Trail also gets a fuckin’ cool CRD (Common Raid Diesel) Engine that we don’t get…

Actually the Terrano is only slightly bigger than the X-Trail, and it comes with a 2.7L Diesel engine. They also have a model called the Patrol, which is somewhat like a Land Rover, but at a more reasonable price.

They would NEVER sell the Pathfinder in the UK. No one would buy it because of the size of it.

2000 Nissan Terrano: (Original Terrano)
http://www.rushcorp.com/cars/car_jpegs_from_now_on/8663.jpg

2000 Nissan Terrano II (Second Version)

SO THERE! :stuck_out_tongue: LOL :slight_smile: We were both right!

If only people thought the same way here.

We can only hope. Their small car quality is so superior to ours, it’s not even funny.

[quote=“DeathBy240”]

If only people thought the same way here.[/quote]

A pathy isn’t very large though. Just look at all the suburbans and H2’s etc. I wish those types of vehicles were never made.

Agreed - but you have to understand, a Pathy is a ginormous vehicle to the brits. When you’re paying $1.95/litre for regular gas, that would help explain why lots of their cars have 1.6L engines or less. That 3.5L VQ over there is like what the 500 cube viper motor is to us. :slight_smile: