Build Your Own Lotus 7

[quote=“JayS,post:20,topic:37691"”]

Considering the majority of builds like this never get completed I think adding a bunch of difficulty just to make the frame look nicer is a pretty bad idea.

But when you get tired of your automatic and want to build a real car with a manual order up your round tubing and have at it. :slight_smile: j/k

[/quote]

:wiggle:

[quote=“SoloIIscoob,post:5,topic:37691"”]

cool build/ good luck

WTF ever happened to emkay’s locost car?

[/quote]

sold it a couple weeks ago unfinished

are you gonna be able to finish this at hybrid? or will you need to finish it elsewhere?

just curious.

why does no one use the zetec with a t5 anymore? i would LOVE to tune one of these for someone with my pro racer

[quote=“cky89,post:23,topic:37691"”]

are you gonna be able to finish this at hybrid? or will you need to finish it elsewhere?

just curious.

[/quote]

i am bringing it home today. It will be finished there. I have access to a mig welder and all the other stuff i will need.

[quote=“ecoshardcore,post:25,topic:37691"”]

i am bringing it home today. It will be finished there. I have access to a mig welder and all the other stuff i will need.

[/quote]

ah gotcha.

please finish it :slight_smile: i wanna see how this turns out :tup:

soooo cool… :tup:

[quote=“KENLUDE97,post:19,topic:37691"”]

there would be a LOT of time refitting and making sure that all the lengths are correct. It would just be more work, on a allready time consuming and difficult project.

[/quote]

[quote=“JayS,post:20,topic:37691"”]

adding a bunch of difficulty just to make the frame look nicer is a pretty bad idea.

[/quote]

First of all it wouldn't be for aesthetics as the Solo rule book requires round tubing to comply with the GCR section 18 for autocross competition.

Secondly it is simpler , a 0* fish mouth will create a flush joint for 360* revolution about the member it is being welded to. Meaning for half the angles that were being cut for square tubing could have been simply done @ 0*. On the same topic, every angle that is done from a square tubing is cut results in a surface area non compliant with the 1" sq. area of a 0* tube cut, or across it’s axis. So you will have gaps that are Sine(angle*) X 1"

For this given design there are two areas that would be difficult in terms of using a tube bender, the top and bottom “frame rails” The first problem is ensuring that is remains on the same plane. This can be accomplished by first fish mouthing the piece and using a second piece of scrap to ensure that is remains at 90* during both of the bends. The next problem is compliance over a 7’ section. Since the only system that would depend on the location is the suspension, and any custom made suspension such as this would have adjustable heim joints it is a null point. Further more this compliance can be eleiminated completely once the horizontal crossmemebers are in place, and since fish mouth are used a $3 nylon come along can bring the peices in tight before welding.

The only advantage to a square tubing frame is that a chop saw is cheaper than a fish mouthing tool and a tube bender.

this project is ghey, just like the guy building it…

So the majority of people before who have build locosts did it with square tube because it’s harder, but saves money on the saw? I find that a little hard to believe.

You’re right, I have never built a tube frame car before (or at least do the majority of the fishmouthing, fitmit for one and close my eyes for the tacks), nor have I ever built a roll cage.

Square tubing is easier for most people because most people’s highest understanging of geometry is that the square doesn’t fit in the round hole and doesn’t fit in the triangle hole so it must fit in the square hole. Most people don’t know how to use a caclulator with more than 16 buttons. Most people can use a mitre saw. Most people can’t account for spring back, leading cutting edge, the resultant of the three vectors for the cut piece and the angles of the two members of it being attached to.

Besides most of the people doiong the at home locost are trying to do it for only a couple grand, and yes a $750 tube bender and a $200 fishmouthing tool is a major part of the budget vs. a $150 chop saw.

So based on all the skills that you just listed for working with round tube, I think my original point still stands.

Why add all that complexity when a majority of Locosts don’t get finished because the project turns out to be more difficult and costly than most builders originally estimate?

Either way. I would prefer to work with round tube but it is much easier for a noob like me to use square. After I finish this car I plan on driving it for a year or two, sell it and use the proceeds to build one exactly like i want. ( Round tube, single seater, mid engine rwd)