burnouts

[quote=“JayS,post:23,topic:37603"”]

Cool if you do it safe, and not at a meet.

I decided to finish off my rear tires on Youngs and left a monster one between Sheridan and Maple. No cars coming, dead stop, red line 1st, hit 2nd, just below red line 2nd and then start rolling. This was 2 months ago and the marks are still there. :lol:

It was a couple miles home from there and you could still smell it after I parked in the driveway.

[/quote]

I have never a burnout in my GTO but I have done about maybe 10 or less hard starts that resulted in tire spin/fish tailing. When I first bought the car, after I broke it in, I decided to see what it would do if I gave it all the loud pedal. I was thinking I would hang the arse end out a bit, nothing too crazy. So i’m getting off the Thruway in Eden, get to Eden Evans Center road from the Thruway exit ramp and want to go left. No traffic for miles, turn off the T/C, and PUNCH IT. Well, that scared the $hit out of me. Car spun around INSANELY fast, and I am now sitting over 2 lanes of traffic baking my tires. I said ok, I need to get out of here. While it’s spinning in 1st, I shift to 2nd, nothing, still baking the tires, 3rd, it finally started to get traction after spinning for a bit. In hind sight, what I did wrong was I had the wheel turned to the left when I punched it. I can only imagine what the GTO would do if I did a burnout instead of just rolling then stabbing the throttle.

^ Dude, it’s a high 13 second car, nothing all that scary about it. If you want to see a car that has scary snap oversteer try autocrossing a Fiero. The GTO on the other hand is extremely controlled in the way it breaks loose, even at extreme drift angles.

As for the burnout a couple tiny corrections were all that was required to keep it in the straight line.

My DRs are beat so next year im going to put the old street tires back on and make a sweet vid of heaters and donuts. :smiley: If some of you other muscle car guys want to join in the fun let me know :slight_smile:

[quote=“Way2Slow,post:43,topic:37603"”]

My DRs are beat so next year im going to put the old street tires back on and make a sweet vid of heaters and donuts. :smiley: If some of you other muscle car guys want to join in the fun let me know :slight_smile:

[/quote]

i fuggin like it. FMF burnout contest

[quote=“JayS,post:42,topic:37603"”]

^ Dude, it’s a high 13 second car, nothing all that scary about it.

[/quote]

You gotta understand Spaz’s other 4 cars are all AWD and somewhat underpowered and he gets those pretty sideways too. The GTO is the other end of the spectrum and will throw you off a bit there.

X…

[quote=“JayS,post:42,topic:37603"”]

^ Dude, it’s a high 13 second car, nothing all that scary about it. If you want to see a car that has scary snap oversteer try autocrossing a Fiero. The GTO on the other hand is extremely controlled in the way it breaks loose, even at extreme drift angles.

As for the burnout a couple tiny corrections were all that was required to keep it in the straight line.

[/quote]

I’m not scared off the car, I was just scared how quick it snaped when I wasn’t expecting it. I was expecting the arse end to hang out like my Quattros do in the snow, maybe go over the white line a bit, not being perpendicular to the yelow lines in a mili second. I rolled the throttle last night, same location, and I had no issues.

Yes, Quattro in the snow is a bit different, tail happy but still completly controlled.

You’re used to cars that generally understeer, so I guess I can see how the GTO could seem tail happy. Coming from racing a short wheelbase MR Fiero, that if you lifted and turned would try to kill you every single time, to me it seems like I have hours to react when the GTO starts to step out.

[quote=“BuickGN,post:2,topic:37603"”]

cool at the track, not cool when on the street and acting like a 12 year old.

[/quote]

:word:

[quote=“Way2Slow,post:43,topic:37603"”]

[/quote]

I’d be in on this

burnouts are only cool in front of residential neighborhoods,school,and where children play

[quote=“Pauly,post:49,topic:37603"”]

I’d be in on this

[/quote]

Nice we’ll have to talk camarojoe into this :carnut

[quote=“JayS,post:47,topic:37603"”]

You’re used to cars that generally understeer, so I guess I can see how the GTO could seem tail happy. Coming from racing a short wheelbase MR Fiero, that if you lifted and turned would try to kill you every single time, to me it seems like I have hours to react when the GTO starts to step out.

[/quote]

In the snow both my Quattros are as tail happy as I want them to be, but when I need them to step in line and go, they do. THis is with proper snow tires. With regular tires I can stop, turn, and accelerate, but I can not do two things at once like I can with the snows on the car. i can basically drive down the road completely sideways for as long as I want, but when I decide to stop screwing around, the car just goes through snow like nothing. This is my first RWD car with any power. Yes, a shprt wheel base mid engine car/rear engine car is COMPLETELY different. I’d love to have an abandoned run way at my disposal to practice sliding the GTO. The parking lot in Eden looks tempting, but, there is 1 cop with NOTHING to do and I swear, this guy must teleport as he is everywhere. But, then I think of having to write the check if I fubar the car and I don’t screw around. My GTO basically never sees any revs above 3K and I go 1-4-6, being in 6th at 30mph usually.

Im a fan of AWD burnouts, but theres not a whole lot of that goin on…

Newman, put 4 spares on and dump the clutch at redline…

[quote=“BuickGN,post:2,topic:37603"”]

cool at the track, not cool when on the street and acting like a 12 year old.

[/quote]

This makes no sense. First of all a 12 year old doing a burnout would be sweet as hell. Second thing is if you seen someone doing a burnout at the track you wouldent even think twice about it. Now if you were sitting at an intersection and someone bakes the tires through two or three gears I know that would make my day.

Yeah 4, 48+ offset spares

[quote=“ZOMGVTEK,post:53,topic:37603"”]

Im a fan of AWD burnouts, but theres not a whole lot of that goin on…

Newman, put 4 spares on and dump the clutch at redline…

[/quote]

burnouts are cool for RWD and AWD only.No one wheel peels either

[quote=“LetItRip,post:54,topic:37603"”]

This makes no sense. First of all a 12 year old doing a burnout would be sweet as hell. Second thing is if you seen someone doing a burnout at the track you wouldent even think twice about it. Now if you were sitting at an intersection and someone bakes the tires through two or three gears I know that would make my day.

[/quote]

proper response :clap:

[quote=“MOBOOST4U,post:55,topic:37603"”]

Yeah 4, 48+ offset spares

[/quote]

LOL…

Extended studs and massive spacers?

You could alllways just hardcore stretch some REALLLLY bad Chinese tires on the stockers if you cant get anything that clears the calipers…

[quote=“87conquestTSi,post:56,topic:37603"”]

burnouts are cool for RWD and AWD only.No one wheel peels either

[/quote]

wrong

[quote=“LetItRip,post:54,topic:37603"”]

[/quote]

right!

I’ll give you FWD burnouts being cool too, as long as it’s both front wheels.

If you’re doing a one wheel peel burnout you are as lame as they come.

If you have to lock on your ebrake because that’s the only way to get the tires spinning, you are also lame.