buying a car without seeing it

Prolly the best advice. Know WHICH questions to ask about the car and ask them to get all the info and know if it really is worth buying. Defiently one of the important things.

So what car is it?

What car in particular are you looking at?

a mustang is not 12 grand…

x3 what kind of car?

:eyebrow: That would depend on the Mustang.

go ahead and make fun of me, but im keeping what it is on the :snky: :snky:

i’ve already talked to someone who knows these particular cars inside and out, and he has given me so good advice as what to look for and what questions to ask, etc.

Unless it’s something abosuletly amazing and will revolutionize how we live of lives…I’m doubting anyone will really care too much about what it is. I personally would like to know, but if it means checking this thread repeatedly to do so, well that ain’t happenin’.

You should let us know…maybe we know something about this type of car that could benefit your decision.

If keeping the car a surprise is more important to you than getting good advice and making a better informed decision, then sure keep it snky.

:snky: = :gay2:

^ True.

I never understood it. If you are going to be sneaky, then don’t say a word about it until its done.

When people say, “I got some big plans snky” its just an attention whoring thing.

I know your :snky: . You told me it before. But OnTopic, I bought my Camaro and my Audi on eBay. Both amazing deals that I was very happy with. Camaro was from a Private seller, and the Audi was from a dealer. But ether way, don’t send any money until you are there to look at the car. Do what you have to to get it back, but unless you know this person very well, I would not send money to them even for a deposit without looking at the car. At least both times I had eBay and PayPal covering my ass. From another forum seems a little risky.

I would do it, but only if I wouldn’t be screwed if it turned out to be not what you expected. I.E.

“Shit, this thing needs a major repair. Now it’s going to have to sit for 6 months while I save.”

Is ok to me, but

“Shit, this thing needs a major repair. Now how am I supposed to get to school/work?”

Is not ok in my book.

Also, I would only do it if I was fully mentally prepared to walk away if something’s amiss once I get there.

I have done it a ton of times. It has been hit and miss for me but the majority of the time things worked out. If it was private I probably wouldnt do it again but from a used out of state dealer I would.

ok, might as well reveal the :snky: and stop acting like a 12 year old that doesnt wanna tell his friends about his new toy. and i know i swore i’d never start another car buying thread again, but please hear me out on this one:

i’ve been wanting a 1998-2002 black 6 speed Pontiac Trans Am WS6 since i was about 13 or 14. out of all the ‘oh! oh! i want this!’ phases ive went though with cars, this is one of two (the other is more of a long term project that im saving fro when im older and have money to throw around) cars that i have consistently wanted. dont get me wrong, i love the truck, but i seriously think its cursed (1st summer i had it, i got in an accident 3 weeks after getting it and it took the place a month and a half to fix it cuz they kept messing it up, and then we all know what happened this past summer) and in the 2 years ive owned it, ive only clocked about 5,000 miles on it. i think its time to move on and make a car payment on something that i actually want and know will hold value and i will be keeping for a very, very long time. This is also a car that i would keep completely stock, aside from a set of Flowmasters out back. I’d be perfectly happy with it otherwise.

that said, the car in question is a 1998 black WS6 6 speed, it has 93,000 miles on it, is owned by an older gentleman who bought it from the service manager at a GM dealer (original owner). It is for sale on LS1tech.com. the miles seem a bit high, but heres my thoughts on that: with a car like this, its either hit or miss, regardless of miles. you can have a car that has 150,000 on it and was owned by someone who babied it and took really good care of it; or you could have a car that has 30,000 miles on it that some 17 year old owned and beat the piss out of. I learned this the hard way with my truck: 60,000 miles and kaboom goes the engine.

the car is stock, with the exception of SLP headers and SLP exhaust, and the ‘skip shift delete’ program thing (cant remember what its called). the only thing wrong with it is the headlight motors are burned out and the power antenna is no longer power. the guy is asking 12 grand, but i think i could get him down to 10. he admitted that he is in no hurry to sell the car, as i explained that i need to sell my truck first, and i am just looking around a little right now, and he said to let him know when i sell the truck and he will prob still have the car for sale. the car is in IL and has been garaged winters.

:lol: I stopped reading there.

But yeah, a WS6 would be a hot car. :tup:

I took a train to Chicago (one way) to buy my e30. It was a bit rustier than I had expected but the interior was better than described and it was mechanically PERFECT so I said screw it and bought it anyway. That was a sub $2000 car though, so it’s a bit different I’d imagine.

That price is to high for an fbody with that kind of milage and that year. Like you said I would try and talk him down to 10ish.

btw good luck.

Good luck with keeping it stock!!! That never happens…

I wouldn’t be too scared with mileage, I never have been. You’ll have a pretty good idea after looking at it and driving it whether or not it has been taken care of. Use your gut here.

I bought my '93 SHO with 175,000 on eBay from a dealer in Philly. Drove down, looked it over, was blown away by how mint it was, paid them, drove home. No regrets at all…I’m at about 198,000 miles and as far as maintenance most of it had already been taken care of when I bought it so I haven’t had to put much of anything into.

Have you done a carfax yet??? That’s a good way to check the owners story sometimes…

i emailed him asking for the vin, my friend has a coupple days left on his carfax, so im gonna try and get that asap.

You’re not intending on this being your DD are you?