Buying A Used Car

I’m planning on buying a used car from a private seller, i was just wondering what that process is to to this. I’m assumign he just gives me the title and i put my plates on the car? I’m taking the plates off my car and putting them on the car i am buying. Does anyone have experience with this by any chance? It sounds stupid but i have no experience in doing it. Do i have to go to the DMV with the owner? Or can i take care of that after? Or if i buy the car, can i let it sit for a while without registering it while it sits in my driveway. I’m planning on getting it Wednesday

Um. You talk shit to mad people on here but you don’t know how to buy a used car?

First, you can’t just throw the plates on a car, that’s illegal. I mean, you can, but don’t get caught dude. You should really register the car before anything. You don’t need to go to the DMV with the owner, but you need a signed title, proof of insurance on that car, and a receipt from the owner with the amount of the purchase. Then you gotta fill out a form to register the car, and I think a bill of sale form too. If you’re transferring your plates, it will cost less. But this route means you need to register the car before picking it up.

Also, you legally can’t have the car sitting in your driveway unregistered. You’ll get a ticket for it.

Well for starters does the title have a lien on it?

This is a source with the paperwork needed: http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/buy-sell/used-cars/paper-work-when-buying-a-car.php

I don’t talk shit to anyone here? Do you have me mistaken for someone else? I obviously don’t know, thats why I’m asking. The advice was actually helpful though so thank you. The title is clear, no liens or anything.

wrong thread… somehow

If this is the wrong thread, you can move it. Is that what you meant?

I went to post that reply in the other thread, but this one was bumped on the front page first… clicked the > and didn’t notice the thread title till after the fact.

my bad

From checking online, this is what i saw:
-Get the title (in this case no liens are held)
-Get bill of sale
-Get something that states the purchase price of the car

Then you go to the DMV and register it, pay the sales tax, and get the title transferred to your name. The thing is i am not sure how long i will keep the car. Can i just get the title from the P/O and keep it in my records, and once i sell the car can i just give it to the next owner to transfer the title to their name?

“Title jumping” is illegal, although many people do it, especially with cheaper cars. The state wants your money every time a car changes hands so do so at your own risk. Hand over cash, have them sign the title (don’t fill in your information if you don’t plan on registering it.) Have them hand write a bill of sale that states something like "I, ____ sell one 1981 Chevy Citation, VIN______, to _____ for $200 in as-is condition. Call your insurance with the VIN number/vehicle info and add it to your policy. Pick up or have them fax insurance cards to you. Take title, proof of insurance, and bill of sale to DMV and get plates or have them register on your current plate. They’ll give you the forms you need. All of this can be done in a few hours if you plan it out right.

Yeah, make sure to bring insurance cards (proof of insurance) to the DMV when you go.

^ This. /thread

This thread was very helpful, i figured people here would have experience in this so i asked. Unfortunetly the car didn’t check out. It has only spent 4 years in Canada (was originally from Florida) but it was rusting pretty bad. It was a CLK320 and it just isn’t worth the hassle even though the car is dirt cheap.