buying a used car from PA (live in NY)

I’m trying to figure out what I need to do to be able to drive a PA car I’m buying back to NY.

It’s a used car with a loan so the owner doesn’t have a title (you don’t get a title until the car is paid off in PA).

I just got through the hassle of getting my loan approved with penfed by providing a letter of intent and also a 15 day payoff statement obtained from the seller.

So once I have check in hand + insurance, I go to PA for a final inspection but I still have these questions:

• do I get an in transit permit from PA or from NY? (I think PA)
  • can I do this without the title? (I hope so)
  • I’m assuming I just use the in-transit until the seller can get me the title which he claims will come in about 5-7 days?

You get the in transit permit from the PA dmv. Give his closest dmv a call and ask what to do. (When I was thinking of buying a BMW from DC the Virginia DMV would do them but the MD one wouldn’t. the only way I found this out was to call) They will know how to handle not having a title. Perhaps the registration?

+1. NY doesn’t offer transit permits last I checked, so PA is your best bet.

NY sure does offer in transit permits. I have done it.

You have to get the permit from the originating state. You can get an in transit permit to just move a car from one county to another, doesnt have to be out of state to in state.

bill of sale works as a transit permit… at least that’s what i’ve always used, and i’ve bought 3 cars out of state?

Your best bet is to just call his local DMV.

I was going to give you all the details of what happened when my sister bought a Corolla in Philly, but, I then remembered that the seller had the title for the car so two different scenarios.

I’m assuming the seller’s bank is not local to them?

Anyway, DMV does not handle title transfers in PA. You need to find a notary public who deals with “DMV” type stuff. Call the notary and ask them what it will take to legally drive the car away. I would think you’ll at least need the owners card and a bill of sale executed in front of the notary. I don’t think PA will give you a plate without a title. It will vary slightly from notary to notary.

You can also call the PA DMV and ask them what the process is. I found a http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-buysell.pdf fact sheet that describes the process of buying or selling a car in PA, but it assumes a title is in hand. It does give you some background about the notary public. Here is dome more information from the PA DMV (link = http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/motorVehicleCenter/buying.shtml ):

Buying a Used Vehicle with a Pennsylvania Title
Pennsylvania titles are used in conjunction with Form MV-4ST, “Vehicle Sales and Use Tax Return/Application for Registration.” This form is only available from authorized agents of PennDOT.

In addition to the Pennsylvania title you will need to provide several items to the agent to complete your title application. More information can be found in the Buying or Selling Your Car in Pennsylvania fact sheet.

You will need to provide several items to the agent to complete your application. Please take a copy of your current Pennsylvania Drivers License or Pennsylvania Photo Identification. If you are a business or non-profit organization buying a car, please make sure you bring the acceptable identification requirements with you as well.

A copy of your current insurance identification card is required if registration is to be issued.

If the vehicle is being given as a gift, the Form MV-13ST, “Affidavit of Gift” must be attached to the title application. This form must be completed by all transferees and transferors and attached to Form MV-1 or MV-4ST for any transfer for which a gift exemption (Exemption 13) for purposes of Pennsylvania Sales and Use Tax is claimed.

Hope this helps some - good luck with your purchase.

i drove my m3 back from indianapolis with no plates.
just had the title and bill of sale in the glove box.
didnt get stopped once.

shit that is a big risk. not worth the possible headache.

maybe the OP could ask someone from pittspeed to do some leg work?

sack up.

lol… no plates at all is some serious NFG. You must have a get out of jail free card in your wallet :smiley:

I put this in the network wide forum so that our new friends in PA might offer some advice. This car is actually coming from a bit north of Pittsburgh.

The more I research, the more it looks like I just need insurance and to go see a notary with the seller and get some PA temp plates. I have no problem pushing my luck and driving home on my BMW plates but without title I won’t be able to register right away when I get home so I’ll need to roll on the PA temp plates for a couple weeks.

I welcome further insight.

IMO

valid insurance, title, bill of sale and no plates > putting plates on from a different vehicle

Easy to say when you work in “law enforcement”

X…

yes it is very easy to say :slight_smile:

odds of getting pulled over with wrong plates < odds of getting pulled over with no plates (which is probably a 100% if the cop notices)

all im saying is i would suspect you will get in more trouble for just throwing plates on a car vs what i did.

given two illegal activities, I’ll take the one that doesn’t scream “look at me!!!” but I hear you and would do the same as you if I could flash a badge and get some professional courtesy.

it’s moot since I’m getting a PA temp tag.

haha but i didnt even get pulled over and i passed countless local and highway patrol cars

but i digress youre right

<3

I bought my car in North Carolina. We went to the seller’s bank, where he had the loan. I don’t remember all the details but that was the easiest way to get a bill of sale and make sure there was no lien against the car. Call me skeptical, but I wouldn’t depend on a seller to send me something after money has changed hands. Make sure you properly own the car and the title will be sent to you.

From the bank, I went directly to the DMV and got and in-transit tag. It was only $5 and not worth the risk of driving without one, IMO.