buying a used car from PA (live in NY)

I’m fairly sure that if you go to a AAA office, they can give you whatever you need. I know if you’re buying from a dealer they should have the paper temporary plates, and would assume that AAA does as well - since they are online with the DMV.

If you’re doing nothing wrong, chances are no plate or illegal plate…

NYS does not offer temp tags for cars traveling out of state. They are for specific locations in state.

AAA NY does not offer temp tags, but they do have international driver’s licenses if you really want to screw with someone when pulled over.

PA does offer 7, 30, and 90 day temp tags. You need a bill of sale, a COPY of the title, and a valid insurance card.

Getting pulled with the wrong plate is worse than getting pulled with no plate. No plate but registered is only like a $50 ticket in most places (we’ve done this when going through certain areas cross country). Being not registered with no temp (but with bill of sale, title, and insurance) has the potential for a police impound, depending on the cop. Temp tags are easy to get from certain states like PA even if you aren’t doing business there, why bother taking the risk?

Whenever I have purchased out of state vehicles I just got insurance and threw a plate on it. The big thing is insurance. Who gives a crap about govt paperwork. lol