Buying a car out of state, what do i need to get title?

I am in the process of getting a car from new jersey. Anyone have an experience with transfering a title from NJ to PA with out the seller being present. Seller would send me the title signed, and i would take it to the notary. Will this work?
any help is appreciated.

i am pretty sure the seller has to sign the title in front of a notary and have the title notorized

AAA can do it no problem, they used to ask for a rubbing of the vin but nowadays I think you have to take it to a garage and have a mechanic verify the vin.

AAA has a form for you to take to a mechanic. Once they fill it out and sign off on it you can register it at AAA then you can get it inspected after that (provided you have ins. for it.)

You also have to get a bill of sale from the seller showing the price you paid for the car so our wonderful state can charge you sales tax.

You can do it one of two ways. Any notary as long as the title is signed and notarized if needed can transfer the title. If the car is not present they will ask for a rubbing of the VIN. I’ve done this on my past two cars bought from out of state.

I just bought my TL in Ohio last month. The dealer in Ohio did paperwork & sent me an Ohio title within 10 days. Then I took the Ohio title to a PA notary & paid my taxes and transferred my plates/title. I had an owners card on the spot. It was very easy. I would imagine a NJ notary or dealer could do the same, before you leave the state.

EDIT x2 on the bill of sale. You need it for the procedure to work. If you had a trade, make sure it is shown on there so you don’t have to pay the taxes on the trade in money.

can you put you paid 1 dollar for the car?

shit is gay, in OR we just sign the title and bill of sale. to register out of state its just emissions 120 then title plates is 89 i think. done, the just have to do emissons every 2 years. cheaper if in state and there is no inspection every year, none.

why does pa gotta be so gay!

It’s been abouyt 5 years or so since I did this for a car from NJ. But, have seller complete responsibilites listed here http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/Vehicle/TransferringVehicle.htm. Take picture of VIN, seller signed title, bill of sale (I also had photocopy of sellers drivers license) to PA notary, and transfer title. I would verify with the notary you plan on using that all of this will be acceptable to them. For taxes, they will check KBB for private party value. If your purchase price is outside of their range, you will be asked to complete a form indicating why vehicle was sold at lower price.

I’ve bought 8 cars out of state over the last few years and all I’ve ever needed at AAA is a signed title, bill of sale, and a VIN tracing. The one exception was my SE-R which had a laser engraved VIN plate instead of a raised letter one so I couldn’t get a good tracing. I tried to use a picture of it but AAA made me do the mechanic verification form instead.

I never once had to go to a notary.

I’ve bought all my cars from out of state, and this is how I did it each time.

You meet seller. Seller signs back of title, which also has odometer reading and price on it. If not, get a bill of sale. This does not need to be anything fancy. Just a piece of paper, signed by both parties, saying I sold car with xxxx vin to douchebag for xxxx miles for xxx amount of money.

That bill of sale is what you use as a temporary tag, to get it from place of purchase to back home.

See if you can easily get to one of the VIN etchings. Put a piece of paper on top of it and get an etching of the VIN. If you can’t, AAA will give you a form, that you can take to any state inspection shop, and they will verify the VIN (for free).

Take the title, the bill of sale (if applicable), and the vin etching/form to AAA. You will then pay state taxes for the vehicle and get a temporary tag. Title then gets sent to either lein holder, or yourself, in the mail.

thanks for all the help. I am trying to work out details with the purchase. I will post picks once i get the car in my possession.

First of all take NOC from concerned RTO of vehicle registration. Once you find out NOC from that state then you can apply for re-registration with RTO under local jurisdiction, at the same you will have to submit some necessary documents like PUC, NOC, Address proof copy, Insurance Certificate, Driving License copy, Form 20 with chassis print, then form 29 and form 30 for transfer of ownership, Original Registration certificate, Rs 30 Postal Stamp etc.