Buying car from seller who never registered the car in his name...

I just forged the previous owners name and registered my rx7… just be nice and hit on the teller they wont Even check the paperwork

The fact that the owner never registered it means nothing. Just register the car. Its called skipping title. Might not be legal for the guy selling you the car, but who will know?

Newman’s A B C explanation is right on.

Look into the lien yourself, there is a good chance it is paid off. I registered a car once with a lien on the title and got my title with that same lien still on it. It was a super cheap civic that was 15 years old. Never got a lien release or clear title in the mail. I never looked into it but I was pretty positive no one was repossessing that piece. Either way I never had a problem. I’m guessing that sometimes lending institutions fail to clear things up with the DMV, or that the DMV just loses paperwork.

This thread is a great example how people reinforce wrong ideas just on hearsay without actually going through the process themselves.

Lol at a project car with a Lien on the title…

Just use it as negotiating power! I have titled MANY cars where the previous owner never titled them, that is there issue (as far as being legal). I actually had a car with a lien on the title and called the bank that was listed. The banker on the phone told me to initial it with his name and turn in the title, I got it back clear.

Pics?