Buying car from seller who never registered the car in his name...

This is kinda complicated, basically I looked at a car and I’m pretty interested in it even though it is a mess(BNR). Basically the guy bought the car as a project car, never signed the title or the bill of sale from the person who last owned it(name on the title currently). The title also has a lien on it but the person I’m trying to buy the car from says he was told there is no lien on the vehicle. The person I’m buying the car from bought this car 2 years ago, and never registered it so it seems fishy, but the price is pretty good… I don’t know what to do lol, anyone else ever run into this problem? What should I do? :tup:

Notes:

I called the DMV, they said that person needs to get the title in his name and pay taxes owed inorder to sell it to me.

But, like I said the person I bought it from didn’t sign the title or the bill of sale.

DMV also said due to the lien, if money is owed it doesn’t matter who’s name is on the title, if money is owed, it can be repo’d from me… but the car is old so I don’t think it would have money owed.

Thank You

run… run far away

lol… it is clean(rust free), but when you hear the term BNR it really shows what is ment by that lol, like custom electrical work done, wires just twisted together with no tape or wire connecters. It runs good though… ugh

Walk away. I think there are ways to get around it with Statement’s of Ownership and a bunch of bullshit, but half the time banks won’t release the lien without the previous lien holder’s information/consent. You can still sell and register vehicles with liens though, it would just transfer to you. Or he could register the vehicle/put a rush on the title and do things properly instead of half assing it?

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 PM ----------

If someone wasn’t cognizant enough to at the very least fill out the proper paperwork, I don’t know if I’d want to buy a car from them.

What’s the car?

I agree with them man, walk away. Unless it’s a really amazing car that you can do some work on and then it be worth some outrageous amount of money, it’s not worth the hassle.

You could easily just sign the title with your own information and get it put in your name. It’s not the “right” thing to do, but that doesn’t really change much for most people. That does not solve the issue of the lein on the title, though.

What he said. It definitely sounds sketchy but I’ve seen this sort of thing done on older vintage bikes. A guy I work with has bought a few bikes without signing or registering them in his name, fixed them up, and then sold them without a problem. Totally illegal but I’m just saying it has been done. On older bikes, probably not a big deal, but for you I’d probably steer clear.

i have no idea on the lien, but as far as bill of sale goes, its as if you bought it from the original owner that your seller bought from.

minus the lien, same deal with my '47. according to the bill of sale/reg i bought it in '97 when in actuallity i bought it last april. i was only 9 in '97 though. wonder if the dmv will question it when i finally finish the truck and get it on the road lol.

send a letter to the previous owner thats on the title?

You’re nuts for even contemplating this purchase. RUN AWAY.

ha im nuts for just looking at the car for where it is located… near grider street. I’m staying away unless he finds a lien release. It was pretty sketchy but when approached by his grandma and asked if I needed anything I felt like it was legit that he wants to sell it and not rob me.

Its a 1990 5.0 mustang 5 spd, heads and cam, clean not rusty but could use paint, it runs and moves but the possible electrical gremlins seem like they might be a nightmare! Price, $1,200…

I’m more curious where you’re going to put this car.

But as stated above… Stay away. especially with how much money it will need to be any kind of fast. To mention nothing of the lien

My moms garage where I used to store car below.

If its a GT i will kick you in the dick. If its an LX or better yet a notch, it will be cool. Lets go to howbill and get you a nice 6.0 to put in there :wink:

You’re straight up fucked without the lein release. The fact that he didn’t register the car is no big deal-I’ve bought and sold a few old cars like that-who gives a fuck in the grand scheme of things. Also, the lending institution isn’t going to send someone other then the original owner on the title the release info.

You can register it without a release, the lein title will just carry over even though there really isn’t any obviously because of it’s age. If you can find out the financer they will mail you a lein release.

Lx, but it is a convertible :confused:

To best answer your question on the lien, call the bank that has the lein on the car and find out what they can do. Ask first if they are still owed money on it. If the answer is yes, thank them, hang up, and walk away from it. If the answer is no, then ask them if you could get a copy of the lien release. Some banks charge a fee for a copy, but it’s better than nothing. A little leg work on your end can help you navigate the lien better.

Yeah, I dunno why everyone is screaming run away without knowing the details. I’m not saying it’s a good idea because I don’t know shit about the car but a lein is not a big deal with an older vehicle which you know is paid off. It would have been towed a long time ago. My cars title says there’s a lein on it still but there isn’t, I just don’t feel like taking care of it yet :slight_smile: Just might cost ya a little extra $$