New Jersey title proceedure...

Has anyone ever bought a car from New Jersey?

I am about to register the Exige, and just realized the original owner didn’t sign the title, probably because he never even saw it.

Here’s why:

In NJ, the state holds the title.
So my bank paid off the lien to his bank.
His bank notifies the state.
NJ sent the title to my bank.
My bank sent the title to me.
Am I supposed to now send the title BACK to the buyer?
And then he has to send it BACK to me?

Or is the fact the the title has now been lien-released by the state/bank and signed the title enough to register it?

There is an odometer disclosure statement on the title, and a space for the seller to sign it…

Is it REALLY this complicated?

Does anyone have any first hand information on this.

Scribble on the back of it. I have bought cars where the previous owner didn’t or forgot to sign it over. Don’t send it back to the guy you bought it from, what if he loses it, or keeps it, lol.

I thought about doing that, but ugh…

Call him and make sure he’ll back up the fact that “He signed it.” Draw a fucking smiley face, if they ask him and he says it’s his signature what can they say.

It is probably easiest to just sign it. The lein release is the big part. I assume you havea bill of sale?

Stop by the DMV office…go to info…ask them.

If they say it needs a sig…forge it.

If not…register it.

I called a DMV lady I know and she said I need it signed. I’ll probably just scribble his name…

Don’t do what the lady in front of me did at ECC North DMV.

Worker-Mam, this needs to be signed by you’re husband
Customer- He’s at work and I have the car outside
W- I’m sorry mam, He’s going to have to sign it.
<<<customer slides 2 feet over and forges husbands signature>>>
<<<slides back>>>
W- I can’t take that
C- Why not!!
W- I just watched you forge his signature
C- I sign his name all the time
<<<argument ensues>>>
<<<woman walks away and gets back in line>>>
W(to his colleagues loudly)- DO NOT take that woman’s forms, She forged them
C- mumbles a jumbled array of expletives under her breath.
<<<woman hops back into her unregistered/unplated car and drives away>>>

crap. That was going to be my plan, too!

^

I dont think your husband would be too happy with you…however if you had half a brain you would just drive to another DMV

I had this happen to me once. The DMV told me it needed to be signed by the previous owner.

It’s kind of risky to just scribble the persons name on it, luckily for me the car was a beater E30 not an Exige. I ended up sending the title back to the kid and recieved it back almost immediatly. Granted not everyone would be willing to help someone out like that.

I would say call the person you bought the car from and ask them if they would be willing to help you out.

I called him and he said to just scribble his name on it.

Haha ok then there’s your answer.

Just forge it. It’s a different state. Have someone else fill in his info for you in a blue pen. You fill yours out in black. Back date his info. Date yours for the day you walk in. These are DMV employees…

On the other hand if you are going to say you paid something like $4,000 for the car you may want to have him sign it.

edit- nevermind

annddd sending this thread with Newman’s pic to all NYS DMVs

:lol:

They already have my pic there for Handsomest Western New Yorker.

I bought a vehicle and there was one spot the seller forgot to sign. The lady at the DMV counter said that if I went to my car, and happened to come back with it signed, she wouldn’t have any questions.

lol, that’s awesome.