Lost my damn title

I read the DMV but I didn’t see how long it will be.

I guess a some information off my registration and a valid driver’s license?

Anyone deal with this? I need my title ASAP. :banana

$50 and 1-2 weeks iirc

Not familiar with NYS DMV. But I’ve lost a title for a Jersey titled car before… To make it worse, it was for a “project car” that I never insured so I didn’t have insurance proof either.

Basically, I bought it, owner signed over the title to me, I presented signed title to NJ DMV after I bought it with proper ID etc. But I never registered it and did not insure it.

However, it was in their system. When I got to DMV (and in East Orange NJ, which is basically crack city), I only had my driver’s license in hand and a verbal explanation of how I lost the title, no insurance, etc etc…

I asked the lady to kindly check the computer database and she did. She then said all I needed to do was write a letter saying what happened and why I needed a new title…

So I did just that, on the back of some paper I had, signed it, and she took that letter and my driver’s license, $28 and I got a title reprinted for the car.

I think if you have proof of insurance at some point, your driver’s license, and maybe another ID to be sure you may be ok…

The same thing happened to me, well sort of, anyways… call first to verify what you need to bring with you, but if you go to DMV with the right form filled out and pay for faster shipping you can have it in around 5 days.

Thanks for the replies. I tried to do it online but it said my car was never issued a title. The web site is absolutely horrid too which isn’t surprising given it’s NYS.

ya, its 50 and btw it takes longer than 4weeks… and u cant pay for faster shipping. my red 240 i bought in august didnt get the title til decmber 5th, my grey car i got on december 7th and there projecting somewhere in feb to get it… there so crappy when it comes to service… for that matter everything including the letters DMV is bullshit. :headbang

Your best bet is to go down there tommrow bring the VIN number, I.D. and tell them to look it up. and get the previuos owner number to have them call him and asked if he signed it over to you. thats what i had to do with my sentra, from then on, as soon as i got the title (usually the first day) i go to staples and make a copy front and back, for 10cents. Even tho its IILegal, its still proof that the cars yours, and they CANT do anything about it. If you have any problems i know 2 tellers at the schenectady branch. just email me (the one in my profile) and ill have them call you from dmv or what not. because its happened to me more than once… im 19 ive had 7 cars, trust me… its happened :headbang

if you have the registration to the vehicle (meaning obviously you’ve registered it with dmv) then I think just your license, the registration, and that should be golden. I always bring my passport just because I’ve had one stupid incident where the lady thought my license was fake. But anyways, I think it usually takes me about 4 weeks to get the new title. Now that I think about it, those were all change of ownership, so it might be a possibility that you will get yours faster

it only took them like 7 days to have a new title in my mailbox when i had mine replaced…

This is what you need to fill out, however, if you mail it, it will take a while, you must go in and pay for faster shipping. Last year I bought a car from a 90 year old on his death bed, he didn’t even know his own name, I bought it from his daughter. She couldn’t find his title(which is apparently a common problem when someone passes away and is disorganized) and with a power of attorney letter, the old mans information and the vehicles information I had the new title in under a week. This all happened a little under a year ago… here’s the link to the form you need:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/mv902.pdf

I found out. I never was issued a new title. SEFCU (Lien holder) never told Ohio that I was released. In Ohio, THEY hold the lien, not like NY. So what happened?

NY = $20 and wait 2 months
Ohio = $5 and wait 1 day. :smiley:

I had the same sory of thing happen to me when I paid off my truck. Do you have your title with the lien on it?

I had my truck financed through Sefcu and the dealership I bought it through also put a lien on it through their financing corporation. It was a huge headache. I called the bank and the dealership and they were able to have signed notaries to waive the lien on my title allowing me to sell the truck.

Otherwise if you need a new title, I know you can put a rush on it to get it faster. Good luck!

No. OHIO does not release the title unless lien has been released. SEFCU never told OHIO and CAPCOM never told anyone. Go figure.

i just did it 20 bucks at dmv and takes like 1-2 weeks if ur reallly lucky under a week