Caliper Paint

Does anyone have any comments on brands of Caliper paint. Good/bad experiences with certian types?

I am thinking about blue, comments? (blue is what I am giong with under the hood)

…Dan

No idea but i gotta get my brake calipers painted as well… me personally red or blue

This may sound tacky but after sanding my calipers, I used navy blue Tremclad paint. It’s stayed on for 3 years so far and no signs of fading. Thats just my two cents. :wink:

You want to get the Folia-Tec Caliper Laquer kit (available in 8 colors, including blue). You mix a two-part system together and paint it on with a brush. It is FAR superior to spray paint.

You can get it in Calgary at Tunerworks, costs around ~ $40 if I recall. Talk to Rob.

If you noticed my calipers at the SCC last fall (and LIKED them), I did them with the Folia-Tec kit.

And a nice side-benefit, they make calipers super easy to clean. They have a nice smooth, glossy finish. Very chemical & heat resistant too.

Thanks J I’ll drop by and see them, I want that shiny gloss thick finsish.

I can’t remember yours from the SCC. Did you do yours on the car or off?

…Dan

Tunerworks had one last box of Folia Tec paint…luckily blue! it was $49, I haven’t used it yet but will post a before and after when I do.

…Dan

I found a kit at crappy tire unfortunatly since i work there, but my friend in auto says its good paint and if i do a few coats it will never come off, there was no blue though so i am going red

The Folia tec kit I bought is supposed to be good for approx 8 avg size calipers according to the guys at tunerworks. I am going to try it on some of the other metal parts under my hood that I was going to powder coat but if I can paint them in place it will be sooo much easier. Of course I am going to select a small test subject under my hood, likely my fuel filter since its only around $15 if it looks like crap I can buy another new one. I’ll post the results and my product review once I use it.

…Dan

The Folia-Tec kit contains enough paint to easily do three coats on 4 calipers. I did have some left over though.

I don’t know about 8 calipers… maybe if you only did 2 coats each. But you’d have to basically have both cars on stands ready to go (or 8 calipers on the table if they’re all off the car).

Once you mix the paint batch (you do the whole thing at once), you’ve only got about 3 hours to use it before its toast because of the hardeners.

So did I read that correctly Blackest240? You can buy the Folia Tec kit at Canadian Tire now? Do you happen to remember the price?

How long did you wait before applying the additional coats or by the time you got back around to the one you started on were you able to paint over the previous coat?

I wondered about that, I might have to buy an extra kit for the engine bay stuff I want to do since I might be pushing the time envelope on getting all the coats on the calipers then moving to the engine bay.

J how much do you estimate you had left, 1/3 - 1/4?

…Dan

BINGO!

As for your engine parts if I were you, especially living in Calgary, I would take whatever engine parts you want painted over to Top Gun Coatings and get them powdercoated. From the quality I saw on several S14’s last year at the Calgary Z Show they looked fantastic and it sounds like the pricing was very reasonable. Probably cheaper than we could get it done up here in Edmonton.

thoguh this took some time to reply no mine was not folia tec paint… it was some other stuff(dupli color i believe) and i just put it on two of my calipers so far and the stuff is really glossy red… looks good ill post a before and after pic

Does anyone have any comments on brands of Caliper paint. Good/bad experiences with certian types?

I am thinking about blue, comments? (blue is what I am giong with under the hood)

…Dan

No idea but i gotta get my brake calipers painted as well… me personally red or blue

This may sound tacky but after sanding my calipers, I used navy blue Tremclad paint. It’s stayed on for 3 years so far and no signs of fading. Thats just my two cents. :wink:

You want to get the Folia-Tec Caliper Laquer kit (available in 8 colors, including blue). You mix a two-part system together and paint it on with a brush. It is FAR superior to spray paint.

You can get it in Calgary at Tunerworks, costs around ~ $40 if I recall. Talk to Rob.

If you noticed my calipers at the SCC last fall (and LIKED them), I did them with the Folia-Tec kit.

And a nice side-benefit, they make calipers super easy to clean. They have a nice smooth, glossy finish. Very chemical & heat resistant too.

Thanks J I’ll drop by and see them, I want that shiny gloss thick finsish.

I can’t remember yours from the SCC. Did you do yours on the car or off?

…Dan

Tunerworks had one last box of Folia Tec paint…luckily blue! it was $49, I haven’t used it yet but will post a before and after when I do.

…Dan

I found a kit at crappy tire unfortunatly since i work there, but my friend in auto says its good paint and if i do a few coats it will never come off, there was no blue though so i am going red

The Folia tec kit I bought is supposed to be good for approx 8 avg size calipers according to the guys at tunerworks. I am going to try it on some of the other metal parts under my hood that I was going to powder coat but if I can paint them in place it will be sooo much easier. Of course I am going to select a small test subject under my hood, likely my fuel filter since its only around $15 if it looks like crap I can buy another new one. I’ll post the results and my product review once I use it.

…Dan