Carbon...Mmmmmmm

Car is dirtier than hell right now, but I’ll clean it up some and take a pic later this week. Only thing I’d do differently than Adam has done is after using that super sticky gunk sealant he put around the plug, to top coat it with something you can smooth out with your finger. Other than that, pure awesomeness. I did noticed it started radiating some heat in the sun during our autocross on Sunday. While watching the Porsche 250 Rolex race on DVR later that night, I heard the announcers mention the Castrol Mazda RX-8s have switched over to a gold mylar roof cover to reflect the heat generated by their black color schemes. I may need that. :lol

Should have went with a Kevlar lining as it has a golden hue to it :tongue

Or I can just roll over it with silver trailer roof paint. :ponder :lol

Courtesy of Cossey, here’s a pic of my roof plug from a distance:

Along with the mAD JdM Drift alternating wheels setup :tongue

The plug looks good, did the butt dyno allow you to feel the lack of the 40+ pounds gone or did the cage substitute the weight in a distributed fashion so you can’t really tell?

The butt dyno says it’s about the same. I threw some other mods on there that hopefully make up for the additional 100+ lbs of bar - lightened lower engine support, the sunroof plug, Racetechs swapped in for stock Recaros. But then I had to put a damn trailer hitch on to tow a tire trailer since I can’t carry wheels in the rear seat area. Between the stiffer springs and the new weight balance shifted more towards the rear, the car feels very balanced. Used to be obviously nose heavy. I’ll have to weigh it to get a definitive answer to the new weight distribution.

Have you considered a roof rack as an option to get tires over to the location? Is it an issue of you not be able to fit any or just most of the tires into the car?

I hate to see the hitch adding weight unless it’s the absolute sole scenario. I know if Miata guys can figure out a way to carry 4 extra wheels a sedan should too, although the rollcage definitely puts complications to the plan.

Find a buddy and tell him, you’ll throw down $20 towards his track day if he brings the tires :lol :ponder

The Miata guys pioneered the tire trailer setup I’m using. Adam said the roof would never support a rack - believe me, I tried to avoid the hassles of a trailer at all costs. I tried to get Adam to fab up a trick removable hitch like the S2000 guys have available, but Adam said there were too many difficulties in adapting it. Should have have had him build one out of CF. :wink:

Yes could have been done but complications with retainig the rear crash beam and lack of structural mounting locations means one would have to have fabbed up a studier moint just for the hitch to attach to, adding further weight to the setup

Heard the car went ftd at the recent event though. Thats the awesomeness right there

FTD?

Should have ran an extra bar by the roof to support the rack, or make one that connects to the cage over the roof, who needs windows closed anyway :lol

I’ve seen Miata guys strap wheels to the roll cage, but it’s a lot easier to do that with convertible two seated.

Fastest Time of the Day. I squeaked it out past the Webby Miata by about .03 seconds, which is about 100hp per each .01 second I had on him. :eek3

Yeah but keep in mind you had to get a carbon fiber roof plug among with other expensive weight reductions to save 2% on your weight while he just skipped eating lunch to achieve the same :lol

And now that you beat him, he won’t do your hair :frowning:

Disclaimer: as a fellow Miata owner I’m allowed to bust his balls

Edit: :facepalm for taking ^ out of context

I need carbon radiator shroud for 200!

My secret shame is I’m co-driving with Webby down at the Dover National Tour in June.

That carbon weave looks pretty familiar!! lol