Cars that see

GM Demo cars that “see”

Posted Oct 27, 2005, 9:30 AM ET by Stuart Waterman

http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3060000000051056.JPG?0.061822582625517986

Earlier this week, GM demonstrated cars that can “see” other cars. Addding vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication capability to cars already equipped with GPS allows GM’s test cars to know where other cars are - whether in your blind spot, in a hidden driveway or around a blind corner.

Conceivably, V2V-equipped cars could do away with complex systems that attempt to integrate multiple safety sensors, such as long range radar, forward vision sensors, mid-range blind spot detection sensors and long-range lane change assist sensors. (Of course, everyone would need to have V2V and GPS for this to work.)

http://common.weblogsinc.com/common/images/3060000000051057.JPG?0.646974979435919

GM demo’d a V2V blind spot assist scenario, using warning lights embedded in the side mirrors (first photo) and adding vibration alerts if the driver hits the turn signal while another car is in his blind spot. The second photo shows an alert display warning the driver of a stopped car ahead.

Communications technologies similar to GM’s V2V system are under development in Japan and Europe.

[Source: GM]

thats all good and special. what happens when all cars have this. is your car going to light up like a x-mas tree because there are 15 cars around you?

it will turn into a narrowband afr guage…

thats pretty cool

just more shit to break and $$$ to fix. no thanks, I will continue to use my eyes that have worked well for so many years.

well in 20 years when your eyes go. this will help out. but the vibrate thing can be used in more ways then one :eek4dance

I have seen a show on this. They are decades away from this being useful to us. The sytem was so simple and could only do things such as detect stop signs, and apply brakes for you. yee haw…

I’m not that old, i’m not exactly pewterss age or anything. I still have at least 22 years before my eyes go to hell. :smiley: