cell phone crew: get in here. i need some advice. this might be a long one.

backstory: Friday morning at the Buffalo airport, I somehow lost my cell phone or got it stolen. It was a blackberry curve. Honestly, I thought the phone was entirely over rated, however it might be different if I worked for a place utilizing BES or something.

I land at the Greensboro Airport in NC. My mom picks me up and immediately takes me to the AT&T store. I assumed because I had insurance, I would walk in, maybe pay a $50 deductible, and leave. Not the case. They informed me I could call and get one in three days, but we’d be gone from their house in NC and at the beach on the outer banks by then.

I couldn’t honestly handle not having a cell phone, so the lady offered me an upgrade with a contract renewal, or I could buy a phone outright. I figured, what the hell, let’s renew. I signed again and went with an HTC Tilt.

anyone have that phone? have any feedback on it?

The whole reason I got a phone then and there was so I could have something on vacation. Now that I’m here, I don’t get any service anywhere. When I get home, I have a few options.

1. Cancel renewal and make warranty claim on blackberry and return the HTC.

2. Exchange HTC for iPhone.

3. Keep HTC.

I’m lost here. What are your thoughts?

The Tilt is pretty bad-ass. It’s a half a generation ahead of the 6800 from Sprint and Verizon. If the Touch Pro wasn’t down the road very soon, I would pick one up. Great processor, features (it has GPS unless ATT neutered it), lots of RAM, good expansion capabilities (microSD IIRC) and Windows Mobile 6.1 plus the TouchFlo interface that is on the HTC Diamond has been hacked to be put on the Tilt.

cant you still do the warranty replacement on the lost phone anyways ? you paid for insurance on it.

if you wrecked your car and bought a new one 20 seconds later, you could still do an ins claim on the old one

yeah i would do the warranty claim on your blackberry, pick which one you like better, and ebay the other. You’ll fetch more than enough to cover the cost of both phones from AT&T.

The Tilt is BA

3mp camera

MicroSDHC up to 32gigs of SD power

badass processer

nice big keys for the keyboard

touchscreen

3G.

Windows mobile > blackberry OS

:fail:

Since when is constant freezing, random rebooting, memory hogging, and push e-mail better than instantaneous pull e-mail, smooth operation, and proven reliability?

But to the OP, I would return the tilt and either use your insurance or get a Curve with VzW. But that’s just me.

i think i really like the tilt, but i’m super pissed about losing my blackberry. i’m hoping when i get home from vacation, whatever filetypes my blackberry saved on my PC for backups the windows mobile installer can pick up and read or convert. if i lose everything, i swear to christ i’m burning something to the ground.

i’m also super pissed about the service i’m getting right now. i’ll type a rant when i get back from the beach.

seriously though, iphone 3G vs HTC Tilt. and what’s this HTC Diamond interface? wasn’t that the touch thing from HTC?

will i miss picture messaging? do i need to save pics? do i need to copy and paste? any other shortcomings anyone can think of?

i think you got push and pull mixed up

push = auto

pull = sync

+1 smart info right there

im still in the 650 world… :gotme:

Activesync and BES BOTH use push email.

word, was just clarifying push/pull though.

The quote was more for rage87 who works in a Verizon store but doesn’t know what he is talking about.

Actually I was drunk when I made that post. I apologize for flip flopping the two. And I know more about cell phones than your entire iPhone Jocking Cult combined.

And It’s not called “Activesync” smart guy, it’s called a Microsoft Exchange server. Activesync is a Windows based hotsyncing client for WinMo phones. Microsoft Exchange is an enterprise server for WinMo devices for wireless synchronizing.

The only time you will get push e-mail on a WinMo device is if it’s to an Exchange server, any other e-mail provider you will have to use pull e-mail and set a time for how frequent it checks for e-mail. With a Blackberry every e-mail account you setup will be push.

So basically, unless your work has an Exchange server and you absolutely must have a WinMo PDA so you can sync everything wirelessly, I’m giving you a million reasons to buy a Blackberry over a WinMo device.

:picard: :purextc:

Epic Lawls.

Personally Id keep the tilt over a Bberry. It just does more with the apps and everything.

and you can load the touchflo interface on it with a crack.

Activesync is the means to which you get your mail from Exchange so it IS Activesync. You can’t get Exchange email on your WinMo device in a Push fashion without Activesync. MS Exchange server is a MAIL SERVER, not like the BES which provides the conduit between Exchange/Blackberry or Domino/Blackberry. The best part is, the connection between Exchange and your WinMo is FREE (besides the cost of an SSL certificate) where the Blackberry needs licesing + cost of BES, etc.

:rx3:

LOL @ your drunk post excuse for the misinformation…