Reccomend me a Cell Phone Company...

So… tonight my phone decided it wanted to take a swim and fell out of my hoodie and into the toilet (clean)… I’m out of contract and needed a new phone, now I REALLY need a new phone.

I’m looking for a PDA/Blackberry style phone, unlimited txt/picture/message, e-mail, GPS (or navigation of some sort), and internet access. I’m not too concerned with phone cost, but would like a reasonable monthly bill.

I was with verizon, but for a PDA with internet they want almost $200/mo, and that’s way more than I’m willing to spend.

Suggestions? Reccomendations?

I will probably be doing this tomorrow or Friday, as my Cell is my only phone, and I don’t know if it works anymore. I’ve got it torn apart drying so maybe I can at least get the info off it.

I havent had a problem with AT&T so far ( mind you I’ve had it since Sunday )

Do not go with T-Mobile

and from the threads on here it looks like Sprint is shitting the bed

yea, I see Spring shitting the bed, but they’re deals look great… shitty…

I would put ATT on par with VZW with the nod to ATT because of the better handset selection (GSM/WCDMA is more prevailent around the world, etc).

I am on Verizon now but switching to AT&T. Company is switching over to it and people haven’t had any problems either. Their data is reasonable compared to Verizon’s $50 a month for data.

If you go Verizon, don’t get a BlackBerry 8830. Verizon disabled the GPS on it and as far as I know. no one has been able enable it. Most of the big popular companies are starting to be real shady lately, that’s why I’m so glad I went with T-Mobile.

im not sure what you are talking about

unlimited voice and data for a blackberry or pda is $129.99

add in your text package of choice

start and stop gps when you need it.

i went over this with you already. data is down to $30/month.

yes, the fact that the gps is disabled and they want you to use their own program totally negates all of the great things about this phone.

i have sprint and i love it except for going out of country only shitty thing. only works like 10 miles into canada thats it. but if you dont travel its ok ive never had any problems and now that they have the unlimited everything for 99/mo you cant really go wrong

you know, i always wondered how pissed i would be if i ever dropped my phone in the toilet. when im at the bar and i decide its time to do some drunk txting while pissing, things can get a little out of hand.

but seriously this thread is going to turn into a shit storm, but iv been using verizon for about 6 years and i have no complaints. they are a little pricey at times, but sometimes its worth it.

how many minutes do you use a month? get a select plan from vzw and the unlimited BB data plan is 29.99 a month, then throw $10 in for navigator

I really wouldn’t recommend leaving Verizon if you’re an existing customer and are looking to get a PDA. PDA costs are extremely similar between all of the carriers, and IMO our new e-mail/text/minute bundle plans are a great value because you can get corporate email and personal POP3/IMAP e-mail for $29.99, where as normally if you just do the stabdalone add-on feature for $29.99 you only get access to POP3/IMAP e-mail.

Also, since you are an existing customer you not only get the advanced device credit ($100 off of a PDA) towards the PDA, you also get your NE2. So, depending on your plan you can get a Pearl for either $50 or Free, a Curve for $100 or $50, or an 8830 for $150 or $100.

Depending on how many minutes you use you’re looking at:

450 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, corporate & personal e-mail for $89.99
900 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, corporate & personal e-mail for $109.99
1350 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, corporate & personal e-mail for $129.99
Unlimited minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data, corporate & personal e-mail for $149.99

Just to show you the savings: if you were to get 450 minutes ($39.99), unlimited data for corporate & personal e-mail ($44.99), and unlimited text ($10-$20 depending on how many messages you send outside of VzW) you’re looking at $95-$105. You can just add VzNav to any of these plans for $10 as well.

Bottom line: when you bundle, you save.

Also, another option for you if you don’t need e-mail as intensive as I’m assuming you do, you can get a Voyager or Samsung glyde (these two phones have so called “HTML” web browsers) and get the premium plan. Those start at $79.99 with 450 minutes and include Unlimited text/pix/flix to all carriers, Mobile E-mail, Unlimited Web browsing, V Cast Videos, and BzNavigator. If you do POP3 e-mail and only occasionally web brwose and don’t need it real time then you can get away with this option. But if you want to do any USB syncing at all then you can throw this option out the window.

Only thing I couldn’t figure out with the Verizon plans was the “data” package. Does that include/allow HTML internet browsing or only to specific Verizon limited sights?

I’m bouncing between staying with Verizon or going to ATT; going to be getting the curve (8330/8310) either way. The complete unlimited plan from ATT is ~$115+taxes/fees.

www.sprintpcs.com/sero

$30 to $50 a month

Search under the Hot Deals forum on www.fatwallet.com for details on getting the deal.

its html browsing.

so for Verizon…

You must select a BlackBerry data option
Email and Web for BlackBerry® $29.99/month
Blackberry Solution™ Unlimited Data Usage $44.99/month

are my two options… what’s the difference?

its aleady been covered, however 29.99 gets you “consumer” grade email and data. pop3/imap

44.99 will get you “exchange” grade emial and data, pop3/imap/corporate email. for this to really work your company needs a BES or BPS in place and get you a CAL. doesnt sound like this is what you want.

That’s what I was wondering, so the 29.99 is unlimited internet/email/etc, just not the “business” version.

Sweet…

Verizon wins again… now I just gotta find a place with the 8330 in stock…

Verizon’s $30/month data plan doesn’t apply to all handsets. I was stuck at $44.99 with my i730. This thread does remind me to double check now that I have the i760. I’ll let you know…