smart phone advice-verizon rant

Ok guys this is what happened. I came to live in PA and my grandparents offered me to be on their cell bill. Wtf not ya know? So we went and put an additional line to the family plan.

Yet shit occured before i move up here last year and my grandpa mailed me his cell so i could use before i moved. Thus all my friends got his cell #.

So when we put me on the contract obviously I got a new number. Yet didnt want it. I wanted the old grandpa’s # that i told to my friends. So at that time they switch numbers I got the new phone with my old grandpa’s #. And he got to keep his current phone when i gave it back to him and got a new number.(he rarely if ever turns it on so wtev)

I have LG VX8300 its ok i like it but want something better. My grandpa has a 4-5 year old phone and isn’t eligible for a upgrade becuase they treat his cell as a new cell on the contract…he needs to wait like 2 years or what ever the time limit is to upgrade. Mine i can upgrade.

Yet i really don’t want to extend the contract 2 years if i don’t have to.

What i want outa a phone:
*Full keyboard
*Can hook it up to a computer to put my music onto it to listen to and make my ringtone
*txting
*calling
*games/tv or other bullshit i can get without a data plan
*camera

Anyways my price limit is 150$ shipped

Now I was looking at the Blackberry Curve Nice smartphone yet id need to pay 140-150 or what ever for it fuck that. Plus when I went in today they said if i buy it from them I HAVE TO GET A DATA PLAN WITH ANY BLACKBERRY

Fuck paying 25$. I don’t want to pay 25$ and I dont want to make my grandparents pay it…fuck that I can live without internet for a minute on my phone.

So i found that I can get on ebay. The Motorola Q
http://www.simplysellular.com/phoneimages/motorola_Q.jpg
used or new for like lets say 100-130$
Ive heard its a decent phone. It has Windows Mobile 5 which I heard is buggy but decent for a Windows Mobile Operating system.

I can put an enumerator on it and play super nintendo games or sega games, txt, call people, I think you can watch TV on it but dunno the charge, etc…I think its pretty sweet.

Id get that phone go on the verizon website and basically do a swap. Activate the Motorola Q with my current number. Then my current phone the LG vx8300 will be a deactivated phone. Do a phone swap for my grandpa so he has something a little more up to date lets say then his POS 5 year old phone that he never upgraded before I came into the picture.

Anyways I went into Verizon today talked about phones. I had some coupon for the blackberry for 99$ but that coupon happened to be for the primary number on the contract so never mind that. Then since i couldnt get what i wanted for 99$ lol and they told me “all blackberrys that are purchased you need to get the data plan no if,ands or buts.”

So i told them about the Moto Q. They were like cool. If you can do that then do that. Then they said well if you get txt messges or pic messages you will be charged (certain fraction) outa a penny for every txt. Thats BULLSHIT I have unlimited txting…so wtf. I think its just that they wanted me to buy shit from the verizon store in that case be forced to get the data plan for a smart phone so they came up with some BULLSHIT.

just doesnt make sense. I have a plan on my contract for txting. Meaning the sending of messages. How are they gonna charge me for data for txting when im already paying for txting. Plus the charge for data is a fraction of pennies. just sounds like a bunch of BULLSHIT

I just wanted to hear what you guys thought of that. Is it true? WTF would it be true? Find out wtf you thought about the Moto Q. Or find out what phones on the verizon network that fit my specs above would better suit me?

No im not gonna terminate my verizon service and get a phone thats provided by another carrier. Recommend that and just end your life now. lol

I got a Motorola Q for sale $100 its yours for Verizon… You can get a program called PDA NET for it that lets you tether to a laptop for free on the go. Faster than DSL

Why you selling it? I just want to get all the BS sounding this Verizon told me outa the way and know the truth. And I’m thinking about buying in like a month bro. Don’t I need the data package for PDA Net? And isn’t it just a client that allows the cell to use the internet? I think it comes with that feature hah just need the data plan to use it on the phone.

I mean I will eventually get the data plan just dont want it as soon as I get the phone. Nor want some BS charges for txting or pic messages when i already have unlimited txt

Edit-cliff notes:
Possibly want a smartphone…
I got verizon
Now I was looking at the Blackberry Curve Nice smartphone yet id need to pay 140-150 or what ever for it fuck that. Plus when I went in today they said if i buy it from them I HAVE TO GET A DATA PLAN WITH ANY BLACKBERRY
I dont want a data plan. Just use the phone for
*Full keyboard
*Can hook it up to a computer to put my music onto it to listen to and make my ringtone
*txting
*calling
*games/tv or other bullshit i can get without a data plan
*camera

I asked about just getting Moto Q off ebay and make it have my my current number. they said no i wont be force to get a data plan but some fraction of a cent will be charged to me for use of txt messages and pics…This doesnt make sense since i have the ulimited txt plan

so what phone under verizon network to get. Is the BS about being charged for txting remotely true?

You can usually find q9m’s on criagslist for a reasonable price(100 and under).

I have the first gen(pictured) and its treaded me well with a battery and firmware upgrade.

Sprint phones are CDMA as well, i think you can use them, not sure if they hav eto be flashed or what not.

hmmm ill need to check out sprint phones…But how do you flash them? Then you can use the ESN number on the sprint phone so i can swap phones so the new phone will have my current #? Will the sprint phone have a ESN number and will it work since its not verizon?

But i was really thinking all i really need is a music phone with a keyboard

like the
env (first one) hate the second one it looks like a ugly calculator
Samsung SCH-u740 or the Alias

is their any others to consider?

I love my env, its bulky though

Ye my friend has the first Env and this dude has dropped that thing left and right. Besides a few scratches that thing works like new.

I <3333 my Blackberry Curve. I don’t have to pay the data plan either. :smiley:

I talked to someone on another forum that happened to work for verizon or did in the past. He said for Blackberry products RIP or whatever who makes Blackberry requires verizon to make people who buy their products to get the data plan in order to operate the functions of the phone…so im guessing you get it from your work or what ever for free?

treo > *

I have the enV and like it a lot. it is bulky though. the voyager, the new samsung one that is like the enV but slides. the new palm pda, with touch screen. i want that one so bad but i have another year with my phone.

right now im looking at the
motorola Q
Motorola Q 9m/c
Samsung SCH-u740/ Samsung Alias
Env (the first gen one) the second gen looks like a fucken ugly calculator
xv6700

I have unlimited txting within the verizon network and 500 outside…which includes pics and txting. I just emailed verizon to verify the BS i heard at the store that id be charged a certain fraction of a penny for every txt or pic message on a smartphone or personal phone or some other phone then what i have now by what the people at verizon made it seem. But i think they were mainly talking about smartphone and personalpc phone

all good advice…and i totally forgot the treo on the list i just made def good phones just some what thick. For the treo just like the motorola Q versions and the xv6700 i need to know if ima be charged per txt…basically proving wtf i heard from people in the verizon store was true or false saying that all they wanted was for me to buy a phone from them which if i would do so id NEED to get a dataplan. Anyways i wrote an email to Verizon to be sure. So im waiting for a reply right now.

i have unlimied texting for $20 a month. they dont charge you by text.

and the people who say enV and Voyager, those AREN’T smartphones, they are media phones.

and windows mobile sucks.

Yep, my company pays for my data plan.

edit: Anything less than WM 5.0 sucks…never had a problem with 5.0 or greater

yeah i think he was just saying he wants something with a qwerty keyboard. the samsung u740 isnt either, if im thinking of the right phone.

and my friend have the palm treo, and the battery lasted for about 3 hours at a time and it was brand new. it constantly had to be charged or connected to an external battery.

idk about the new palm, but i would stay away from the treos. it just seems like too much of a hassle. they do have a lot of cool stuff on them though

ive had them for 3 years. and havent had much of a problem with mine.

I love my blackberry …