what smartphone to buy??

okay i know there’s a few threads that are similar

i have a motorola q and my contract is up with verizon now or real soon. So im looking for a new smartphone and heres all i really need.

-verizon compatible
-a skinny phone [thats why i got the q in the first place]
-decent camera
-not a huge fan of phones that have a hidden keyboard [id feel like a fggt flipping it open to text all the time]
-and the thing im really looking for… [not sure if its only palm that does it]
when you text someone i had it to be like an i.m. so that i don’t have to always check back to see what i wrote

any ideas?

i just upgraded to the Q9c from the original Q myself and love it. i updated it to windows mobile 6.1 and it also has the grouped IMing that you’re looking for. not sure if you know this too but you can buy a Spectec wifi sd card that’s compatible with this phone too if you dont wanna get a data plan. the camera seems better too than the original Q. all in all, i recommend it

hmm ill read up on it, thanks

Blackberry?

i like the blackberry bold alot but its a gsm phone, and i really dont know what that means

i herd the storm is coming out end of nov

GSM means not Verizon…

If your contract is up with them switch over. If not get an 8310/8330 great phone and can be had very cheap now.

what service is it…

the thing is, im always in the middle of no where in the mountains etc so i need a service that will actually have bars

AT&T. You can get the Blackberry Curve though on Verizon.

iphone does the text thing you are looking for. but obviously wont do windows if thats what you want in a “smarty”

BB curve. or wait for the storm, rumored for the 3rd/4th.

Blackberry is NOT limited to GSM - I had several when I was with Verizon - depends on what models, that’s all. I’d recommend that over a WinMO device any day… would still rather have an iPhone (as that’s what I chose to replace my BB 8100) but obviously that would have to be ATT

i have a treo and i don’t like

iphone if you want to ditch verizon. pretty comparable price wise too to other smart phones.

i would like to check out the BB Storm tho. Look like it has potential for BB fans.

curve ftw. they should be relatively cheap now too…

Curve is $99.99 on a 2 year

the bb storm is really the next big thing for blackberry, its clearly an attempt to broaden the blackberry market. My guess is that it will be in the ballpark of the iphone too.

I just ditched Verizon for an iPhone and couldn’t be happier. The AT&T service is much better; I didn’t get a Verizon signal at my apt at all, but I get 2 bars with AT&T. My mom didn’t get a Verizon signal at her work (near Poughkeepsie), but she has fine reception now with AT&T.

The one thing that holds a lot of people back from switching is free in-network calling. Keep in mind that calls after 9pm and weekends are free outside network anyways. AT&T minutes also roll over into the next month.

get a bberry curve.

don’t be an iphone fggt.

:pimp::pimp:

Is Verizon absolutely crucial? If there’s any way to pry away from Verizon, I’d get a Nokia N95-3 or -4. I personally left Verizon to go with SIM capable phones. I’ve had Windows Mobile 5, 6, and both iPhones, and the N95 literally annihilates them in every day usability. Not only that but there’s like 10,000 apps, and almost all are free (like text conversation like you wanted), and the few that are not free can easily be had for free.

N95 has a 5MP camera with Carl Zeiss lens w/ 30fps video recording, real satellite GPS (non-network dependent, you don’t need to have cell service to use the GPS, think: driving through remote areas, been there! saved my life! and it’s completely free turn by turn) Between built in functionality and freeware It will do anything any other phone can do thanks to the open OS -plus you can all but ditch your iPod, digital cam, video cam, and tomtom/Garmin. Gives you the spontaneity of always having these devices with you. No contract with AT&T needed either. Just go in and get a SIM card and plug it in. I have no contract, I can switch to T-Mobile at will.

Downside: $400-500 initially for the phone. BUT you can eBay it when you’re ready for a new phone and probably only lose $100 over the course of a yr or two. I did it with my Nokia N80 to buy my N95. Considering the other junk I’d have to deal with for $100 that was a pretty sick deal in the end!

I got my girlfriend a Nokia E-71-2 to replace her iPhone, and she LOVES it and it’s nice and skinny like you want. If you’re looking for more of a PDA type look with exposed qwerty I’d recommend that instead. It’s got just about all the same specs except for a 3.2MP cam.