Changing clutch in my sti...HELP!!

im in the process of taking my front axles out and thier is a spring pin, or so im told holding the front axles in the transmission. and the fact of the matter is i can find it. can anyone help me out?!

that pin that holds axles in u should be able to pull the axle out with a good tug if i am not mistaken but iam sure subaru put some crazy contraption in there that self destructs the car

pickle fork ftw. And in the transaxle, you may need a slide hammer to pull the shafts out. Dunno for sure though as I’ve never done a clutch on one of those.

The STi doesn’t have a roll pin holding that axles on. They slide into the diff like most transmissions. The WRX however does.

how old are you??

Sal mentioned you were attempting this at Hockey. I hope you have a buddy to help you get the 150 lb tranny off and back on. If it gets to be too much for you let us know and we can take care of it for you.

-Mike

24 why?

have you ever turned a wrench in your life?

roffle… newbs. The guy has probably turned more wrenches just on his autocross car than you ever have.

Oh boy, another clutch thread, I know how this goes, you better off to just pull the shit out and see how it goes. I think you will learn better that way, and I ya do need info, be sure to just shut up and listen, I also leaned this the hard way. Good Luck.

LOL

FYI getting the axles out of the front diff will take a decent pry.

Easiest way i found was to remove the bottom pinch bolt and retainer nut on the front LCA, which will free the bottom of the spindle. This should allow for free movement of the axle. No need to remove the axles all the way. But, removing may make the whole process easier.

Also, just a rally experience, if you do remove the axles, put your axles back to the sides that they were taken off of. Switching sides can lead to premature failure.

Edit: Oh this is like 3 days old, lol

Ah well good info there anwyas.

um the left and right axles are the same length?

Usually are on most subies.

Oh shit. I’m sorry I don’t know the ins and outs of YOUR car…my fault. The STIs don’t have a transfer case you need to deal with when doing the clutch, I’m confusing it with the EVO. And FYI, I’ve probably done more clutch jobs than you have removed bolts from your car. Sorry for trying to help though, I now realize how useless most of the shit I post is thanks to you. Guess I’ll go back to legos. I see you are doing well in the car world though smokin them non supercharged cobalts. Keep up the good work.

edit: to further confirm your original answer to your question though…Don is right on the money. The STIs have regular slide in axels, and the WRXs have the roll pins. So back to the first 3 words I originally posted, pickel fork ftw. Apparently this is the first time you’ve ever removed a halfshaft.

thats how i pulled the ont in my regal out

Do you know what a wrench looks like??

lmao

Does a Bear shit in the woods?

X…

way to insert foot in mouth :tup:

not really at all…