Checking out an Evo this Weekend (Evo guys step inside)

I’m current eying up a pretty cherry WW IX RS

only 4,560 miles with some BR parts and a BR tune. 340/310

It’s a garage queen and obviously it’s mint, but i’m new to the evo game and I was hoping for some input on what to look for/ask when checking out the car.

Thanks guiS:mamoru:

Should’ve just kept a bike…

lol

I regret selling the 636 every day.

I am however extremely excited about owning an evo.

…and you saw my car right? This thing will be driven like a GRANNY. (on public roads)

First thing, which shouldnt be in this case but none the less, its always good to check the vehicles tune/ upgrade list. With cars like these a lot of time people build them up and then de-tune them back to stock or closer to stock than it was when they were rollin with it. There is a big market for used parts. And with less than 5k on it those would be like-new parts. So if the guy is running an aggressive tune with some stock parts ie. exhaust, intake, o2 housing, manifold, he might have parted the car back to stock. In that case you may have a car that has been ripped on for the majority of its life.

The carbon fiber spoiler is a big area for a lot of cars. It fades with the sun and sometimes the cllear coat actually starts flaking off. Its not a big deal as long as the carbon hasnt been totally exposed. Its a quick sandign and re clearing. Takes an afternoon. (same goes for the brembos, they fade to a nice pink color.) I have to redo mine as we speak lol.

:search: Go to evolutionm.net. Its a big evo/ lancer forum and a lot more guys buy and sell them on what seems like a daily basis on there , esp. in Cali. I think evos grow on trees in some areas jeez.

Anything else just PM me.

Word.

First let me say that I am DOING RESEARCH ON MY OWN… thanks for asking ;).

Secondly, the rs is wingless, so I am good.

The car comes with all mods installed and all stock parts as well. ALL of them.

The brembos are still a nice shiny red :slight_smile:

The car has seen rain once in its life. The guys is a “mistu master tech” or some bs… :shrug:

Any big mechanical issues I should look out for, aside from the usual stuff?

Should I request compression/leakdown/boost leak tests?

Chime in guys:tup:

Ha well it sounds like you found a real gem then. Mechanical issues are few and far between as long as the normal stuff is taken care of on the regular. One thing is the shift syncros. When your out for a test drive, take the revs up to around 6 or 7 especially in 4th. This is one area mitsubishi lacked on. Mine was bad, but a change of the tranny fluid did the trick.

PS if you dont buy it I will need to. I need a new dd evo lol =)

im sorry but you are a complete idiot
do not try to give advice if you do not even know what you are talking about
im sure his brembos arent faded if its got 4k miles on it, and faded carbon fiber… really? its an rs which would be wingless

to op, car sounds good, buschur does good shit even though i hate them with a passion
just drive it and make sure everything seems smooth and there is nothing that seems out of the ordinary.
other then that there isnt much rly to look for
only down fall is it being an RS for a dd but its not a big deal

crank windows and manual locks, no radio and no sound deadening. PERFECT DD IMO.

Yeah thanks man, the rs doesn’t have a wing, yet the info he described i would consider “generic evo info” and therefore I would not describe him as a complete idiot, LOL.

I’m working out the details, the car seems pretty fucking cherry. :tup:

i doubt with that low of miles and if its been garaged youre not going to have much of a problem… you cant go wrong with BR parts and tune, they are top notch.

just look for what you would look for in any other car… make sure the tranny shifts smooth, brakes are fine, etc. biggest issue most people have is the x-case/tranny

:tup: I was waiting for you to chime in Paul.

Mod List

BR air filter
FP green turbo
BR licp
BR race fmic
BR uicp
680 cc injectors
255 walbro fuel pump
hks 272 cams
ported and coated exhaust manifold
BR stainless O2 housing also coated
BR 3 in turbo back exhaust with mid mount muffler
BR manual boost controller
BC racing inverted coil overs
mini battery
(2) evo wings

ALL STOCK PARTS INCLUDED!

Transferrable warranty

Stored every winter, all fluids changed prior to storage, heated garage

powdercoated flat black 10 pt enkei’s

never tracked/stripped

I almost feel bad about DD’ing this, lol

EDIT: IF i buy it, nothings a done deal till it’s in the driveway.

What is the seller asking for it?

More than you can afford Pal.:nerd:

But seriously, a few grand over book (go ahead and look it up). A bit more than I wanted to spend but considering the stock parts, and the fact that it is basically a brand new car with 12k in quality mods, and little to no abuse… it seems worth it to me.

I’d rather have peace of mind, than a good deal that causes massive headaches down the road…

Seems like a good deal, especially if he includes ALL the stock parts (turbo, cams, injectors, exhaust, etc). I sold my IX MR for close to book with 19K on the clock, so I’d say jump all over this one.

That bold ish in your post is a huge selling point for me, FO SHO.

The thing has seen rain once it it’s life, ugh.

I just talked to the guy too, he seems helpful and ligit. :tup:
He is going to get compression/leakdown/boostleak numbers for me.

Looks good for a road trip this weekend.

LOL, well he was right in general…BUT… completely ignored Maxwell’s post.

Either way, the car sounds like a nice Evo. Crank windows may get old fast on you but who cares. You’ll be more focused on a hunger to get more power out of that thing anyways. (Believe me it will happen :slight_smile: ) … The car probably moves out fairly well with that Green…

Also, do you have any pictures of the said car to post up? Maybe the ad?

Find it yourself. I want this.:stuck_out_tongue:

And to be honest every car i’ve ever owned with power windows had issues, i’m ALL for crank!

How he stores the car in his garage, lol

wtf?

? I don’t see a problem.