Chem / RedOx question

long shot but ive been up all night doing hmwk, this is the last problem and im like :bloated: right now, not sure where im fuckin up here…:gotme:

Balance the RedOx Rxn: As2O3 + NO3- —> H3AsO4 + N2O3

1/2 reactions:

4e- + AS2O3 + 5H20 —> 2H3AsO4 + 4H+

and

2NO3- + 3H+ —> N2O3 + 3H2O + 1e-

So here’s my question: Can I multiply the 2nd 1/2 rxn by 4 and the top by 1? Cuz when I do that and cancel out, the Hydrogens don’t balance out…

(4e- + AS2O3 + 5H20 —> 2H3AsO4 + 4H+) x 1
(2NO3- + 3H+ —> N2O3 + 3H2O + 1e-) x 4

4e- + AS2O3 + 5H20 —> 2H3AsO4 + 4H+
8NO3- + 12H+ ----> 4N2O3 + 12H20 + 4e-

cancel out

8NO3- + AS2O3 + 8H+ ----> 4N2O3 + 2H3AsO4 + 7H20

8 H on the left, 20 on the right?? :wtf:

I hated that class. And it was too long ago for me to remember, 943kgt might have better understanding, he paid more attention than me throughout the chemistry classes.

yeah i hate it too. stupid numbers.

gen chem?

meh I got it. friggin coeff in front of H2 got me.

I corrected it in case anyone cares. And yeah, gen/inorganic part 2

I liked general chem!

for some reason gen. chem was really hard for me at UB lol maybe its because i didn’t take chem in highschool

orgo on the other hand was a cake walk

FUCK gen, and FUCK orgo, and FUCK analytical

Analytical with Colòn? That class wasn’t bad. Breaking up the lecture and lab so much seems really illogical, probably because it is. That class structure is the reason I switched from Chemistry to Chemical Engineering.

my whole class did terrible on kinetics and acid/base equilibira … i got a 77 on the midterm and that was the 3rd highest grade :bloated: then again its a community college, the teacher isn’t all that great, and the kids aren’t all that bright

I am taking analytical w/ Aga right now. She’s a good teacher I like her. Currently A in the class. We’ll see after finals lol

An azn having trouble with math and science? That’s like the proverbial black dude with a small package. That sucks.

Have fun with King/Coppens for Physical Chemistry. So glad I’m done with that department.

you just have to follow the steps for this…

http://preparatorychemistryonline.com/Bishop_Balancing_Redox.htm

Try reading through this

OR

try reading

:wink:

way to read the thread, i figured it out 45 min later after i got to school and re-did it…stalker