Chimney Sweep?

Any recommendations?

I need the chimney inspected and an estimate for repointing the mortar between a lot of the bricks and then repainting.

flue size and height?

Fireplace Outlet
1401 Niagara Falls Blvd
Amherst 14226
831-9696

$89.99 For cleaning and full written inspection.
I could set it up for $79.00, we have the best price I have found anywhere near here.
But, we are booked out to at least Oct 15th, even on little stuff like that.

Oh and free estimates. However, we do not do masonry work this time of year. It could be water-proofed, through us, if it’s spalding. Tuck-pionting and masonry work starts in Spring for us.

Couldn’t tell ya. It vents a WBFP and an Oil Furnace. House is a Cape Cod sort of thing, so it’s 2 stories high.

I’m making an appt with AAA Timberline right now for a free estimate. Found them through the National Chimney Sweep Guild.

:gotme:

Oh and if you go locally. And need it faster. Please, please don’t go through anyone else but Clean Sweep.

Trust me.

find me instructions and i’ll do it for a fee :slight_smile:
i love almost falling off roofs.

Since it’s a rare opportunity to share. Here’s a camera system I develped which performs infrared video inspections of stacks while running, up to 1200°F.

small School Boiler Stack while operating at aprox. 385°F and 60ft tall
http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/V0201017.JPG

a 425ft stack, 22ft diameter operating at 850°F
http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/Still00056.jpg

i guess that’s all i can contribute to this thread…you’re better off going with a company specializing in home chimneys.

lol you wouldn’t so much as fall off the roof as bounce off it on your way down. If it were up against the house I’d probably repoint it myself. I don’t have a pic handy, but while the chimney ends near even with the peak of the roof, because of where the chimney is positioned the roof stops about, say, 8 feet from the top of the chimney.

Very nice. Very nice. :tup: :tup:

And lol at the ‘illegal’ boiler chimney (or at least appears to be).

Cool stuff Josh. I assume the challenge was making a clear lense that wouldn’t melt at those temps? What did you make it out of?

But yeah, I’ll probably get a quote from one of the other local places registered with the NCSG for home work.

Brendan is Fireplace Outlet registered with any sort of governing body or craftsmen’s guild type of thing? I’m rather picky about who I let work on things I own. Only places that are properly licensed/insured.

whats illegal about it?

Not the NCSG, no. But I couldn’t tell you why? I’ll have to double check.

The only way you can get info about us online is through BBB.

My boss does all our work, he is fully licensed/insured with over 25 years in the business. He teaches classes on chimneys too, he hasn’t in about 4 years though.

If you want a recommendation on someone local in the NCSG… Go to Clean Sweep. We send people back and forth and they are a very reputable company too.

there were a lot of challanging aspects to it… custom software and GUI, making it virtually indestructable, keeping the internals below 140°F since inspections can take as long as 25minutes in 1000°F+ temperatures. Condensation, static electricity, high acid environments, on board power and data storage…you name it.

The coolest feature is the 360° Camera, which views all 360° at once in a horizontal plane so you don’t miss anything. Making the software and silicon board was difficult and is still in testing.

the glass is borosilicate.

It’s pretty crude, but works well for a preliminary system. flue gas speeds can reach 80ft/second(about 50mph)…so aerodynamics play into it as well.

360° Camera:
http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/camera_01.JPG

housing: (one camera faces straight down, the one on top views the walls at 360°)
http://photos.e46fanatics.com/data/500/camera.JPG

Brendan, can your place do an inspection for cracks in the flue? I think that requires a camera.

I’ve looked up the flue from the fireplace myself, and it looks clean. I just want to make sure I don’t have to worry about creosote chimney fires.

:rofl: Looks like a suppository.

How do you test that? Do you simulate the conditions inside a chimney or just start with less harsh chimneys and work your way up looking for problems? Temp monitors inside to tell you when you have to pull out? Actually, does it transmit at all or just record?

Our cameras are not as leet as lafengas’s, but yes we do.

We do re-linings all the time. We usually have two options… We can re-line with clay tiles again or with a 316L liner and Thermix insulation (or wool blanket) all the way around.

Only problem I would see is the wait on work like that, if it came to it. As much as I hate to say it: If you think that is a possibility and want it done before winter… We probably can’t do it. We are so pounded with contractors and homeowners installs (and opening our new store in two weeks). :meh:

Got to love the busy season.

That’s not a problem. The outcome of my lining inspection will either be to buy firewood and use it this year, or plan on getting it repaired next year.

That $79 wasn’t for the camera inspection with the sweep was it?

call Dick Van Dyke.

Josh…that camera thing is sweet. :tup: