Chrysler considering Chinese car re-badge job...

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/26/news/international/chrysler_chery.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

:tdown:

What are the target percentage of sales for China and what percentage of production is targeted for U.S. sales?

LaSorda, speaking to the Automotive Press Association in Detroit, noted that the No. 3 U.S. automaker has never named the companies in Asia and Europe it had discussions with about a deal to produce subcompact cars for sale in the United States and other markets.

Toyota = No. 3
DC = No. 4

Chrysler owns smart, but the need a china company to supply a subcompact ???

wtf ???

Isn’t the Aveo Chinese?

^ Nope, Korean. Made by Daewoo.

Wouldn’t be any different then Chrysler teaming up with a Japanese company.

Can you say Diamond Star?

That would be a huge mistake for Chrysler, Ford may be bringing over the Fiesta which is an excellent subcompact, anything Chinese made will not be competition for it. GM isn’t much better with the Daewoo Aveo, but the 2nd gen Aveo is a decent car.

except that China = the devil. Id rather give my money to the country of japan any day over china. I bet walmart will start marketing these cars for like $5g’s a piece.

i thought toyota was No.2??

1)GM
2)Ford
3)Toyota
4)DC

It called Chysler the #3 US automaker. Though the line is a little blurry now with Toyota building cars in the US, they are not a US automaker.

:tdown:

Yeah, because Japan has never done anything to wrong the U.S.

If people start buying $5000 cars here then they will need to make less money because the costing of living will go down a bit.
Now if we let illegal immigrants build houses for $3.00/hour that would really drop the cost of living.
Lets take it a step farther; let illegals work at the companies that manufacture building supplies for example lumber/concrete/drywall/fasteners/etc and then the cost of housing would drop dramatically because the companies would save tons of money on insurance, labor, etc.

You think that would trickle down to the end user that much. Profits are good.

I was being semi-sarcastic.
The fact is it would have to trickle down if they wanted sell any cars.
My point was people here would no longer have high paying jobs because of cheap, imported junk so they would have to keep buying the cheap, imported junk.
It is a vicious cycle.
You had to read between the lines on my post but I admit it might have been a bit vague if you don’t know my view of Chinese imports.:slight_smile:

What is vicious about acheiving a global economic equalibrium?

I’m just going by US sales, not maufacturing. I would be willing to bet Toyota makes more cars in the US than anyone else, but I’m not sure on that.

It will be vicious convincing Americans that they should only be making $2.00/hour.
I saw a UAW worker interviewed the other day and he said, “I aint working for only $15.00/hour!”
I have a feeling he didn’t even graduate hi skool but, somehow he deserves $30.00/hour to do mindless labor.

wtf does that have to do with what I said?

China is close to being the new super power of the world. why? Because americans will buy things from anywhere as long as they can save 20 cents. Hence my walmart comment.

Fuck walmart and fuck china.