Clarkson's CTS-V review

So now we arrive at the Cadillac CTS-V, which you can buy, in the UK, for about £47,000. That’s a saving of roughly £19,000. And that equates to approximately 3,800 gallons of fuel. You could drive an M5 as though it were made from bits of your children from now to the end of time and you’d never make up the difference.
So what, then, are the drawbacks to the Cadillac? Well, first of all, it’s a Cadillac, so everyone will think you are a Wilmslow pimp. And second, this hot version will be available with only left-hand drive.
Depreciation? Yes, a Cadillac will plummet as though it’s being fuelled by melted-down Bradford & Bingley executives. But the M5 is not exactly a 10-year government bond, is it?
So make no mistake: financially, the Cadillac smashes the M5, completely and utterly. And here’s the next part. Round the Nürburgring, it smashes it again. With an ordinary part-time racing driver at the wheel, an automatic version of the hottest ever Caddy went round in 7min 59sec — a record for any four-door saloon.
Part of the reason is its 6.2 litre supercharged V8, which develops a dizzying 556bhp. That’s 49 more than you get from an M5. The Cadillac is mind-bogglingly fast. The manual version I drove will hit 191mph. And it accelerates with a verve that truly leaves you breathless. It also makes an utterly irresistible growl. Like an AMG Mercedes but more refined. More muted.
And now you are expecting the “but”. But there isn’t one. Maybe the steering is a bit too light, but other than this it handles beautifully when you have the Ferrari-style magnetic dampers in “sport”, and rides soothingly when you switch the knob to “comfort”. This is unusual for an American car, which usually can do neither thing properly.
Even more surprising is the interior. Trimmed by the people who do the Bugatti Veyron, it is — and you won’t believe this — a nice place to be. The seats are by Recaro, the leather is hand-stitched and the graphics don’t appear to have come from Amstrad circa 1984. You would swear you were sitting in something European.
Of course, you’d expect the illusion to be gone when you look at the exterior. It isn’t. There are no badges written in the typeface used on northern wedding invitations. There’s no onyx. Maybe the chicken-wire radiator grille is a bit sudden, but then again, have you seen the front of a Bentley recently? No. I’m sorry but it’s a good-looking car, this.
As you may have gathered, then, I like it. I believe that ultimately an M5 would be more satisfying, a touch more crisp. But if you had an M5 you’d have to drive it carefully, to save fuel. With the Cadillac, you can blast through the recession at 191mph, knowing you made the savings when you bought it.

The Clarksometer
You’d be mad to buy anything else

ENGINE 6162cc, V8
POWER 556bhp @ 6100rpm
TORQUE 551 lb ft @ 3800rpm
TRANSMISSION Six-speed manual
FUEL Not available
CO2 Not available
ACCELERATION 0-60mph: 3.9sec
TOP SPEED 191mph
PRICE £47,000 approx
ROAD TAX BAND G (£400 a year)
RELEASE DATE December

ah i love his look on dumbestic cars. so true… but it’s nice to see a review by him go in favor of an american ar

HaHa its def a first, must be for a good reason too

:tup: sick cars

An engineer here got to take the test mule for a romp down in the southern teir… he said the thing was scary fast (and was talking about how they broke a record with it at the ring).

very impressive machines

I can’t look at these cars the same after watching a video last year of two guys who bought one and had the thing in the shop weekly that was 30 miles away and the video was them trying to drive the car down the highway. It was pretty funny becuase the car ran like shit and the engine would look like its about ready to come loose.

I am trying to find it.

wasn’t that the owner of streetfire.net?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/StreetFirenets-cjonesy-h_90356.htm

I’ll Never buy one thats for sure, in all fairness though that was the old one, and they where a fucking disaster

but Would you Buy one?

WAT ?

Edit: typing pwns me LOL

good stick to your foreign junk

Now sir I wouldn’t go that far, but it is nice to see something finally worth the money come out of GM, and this country too for that matter

HAHA AWESOME FIND!! I LOVE THAT VIDEO!! Nice car but dear god that is so bad.

“Cadillac says it has it 400hp. It actually feels more like it has 2 blind retarded mules under the hood humping eachother”

Yeah saw that a long time ago, god thats terrible he really got fucked on that purchase

I can’t watch the video at work. But I am not sure what he did to the engine.
The LS6 and LS2 they put in the V1 are very solid engines.
The only major downsides are a weak differential and sloppy shifter.

That being said I own one and am therefore biased.

sounds like a great car to lease, but a horrible car to buy.

I wonder what the money factor on a lease is like?

he just got a lemon, it had every problem imaginable, it wasn’t really with the engine itself it was mostly with, sensors/ECU mostly engine management.

God I want that car!! Maybe the next purchase after I get bored with the M?

GMAC has really pulled back leasing, but Cadillac is one of the few lines that still has it available.
Since the price of the car is not offical yet, all leasing information is not as well.

That was a great video lmfao, that guy is pretty entertaining. What horrible luck though >.<

His expressions are hilarous.