Closing on a house, going to do the work myself. Permits? yay, nay?

After not really looking at all, i stumbled across a house in west seneca that I’m scheduled to close on next wednesday. The house needs to be completely updated and ripped apart on the inside.

The Roof, foundation, and electrical have all been updated/redone in the past year (it was an estate and they did the work the realtor suggested). So while its going to be mostly cosmetic, there are some drastic changes I’ll be making.

So - is it worth my time to get the permits to do the work? I’ve read that electrical maintenance doesnt need a permit, but adding new does (Adding 50 amp 220l for double oven for example). But I’d like to move walls around and essentially run all new wiring. I’ll be taking all the walls down to the studs and putting in new insulation, heated floors (its boiler heat right now). Adding bath and a half, etc. You get the idea. its all gonna change.

Just curious how much I can do/get away with on the inside before permits become an issue.

I can’t say for sure but a lot of homes I’ve seen, most home owners do not contact the town for permits inside the house. If you’re adding an addition, I’m pretty sure you’ll have to since it’s downright noticeable. But like for me, my urinal is not “legal” perse, but the inspector didn’t really give a shit.

If nothing will be noticeable from the outside (like addition mentioned above) you can usually go the no permit route. Just don’t leave a driveway full of supplies on display…

I have lots of insight here… I will update later when at a pc.

Urinal in garage or house? Why not legal?

I pulled a permit when I did my roof. That job was just way too visible with the dumpster and what not.

I did not pull any permits when I completely redid my downstairs and built that home theater room. Amherst even wants you to pull a permit to REPLACE your hot water heater. Fuck them. When mine goes I’ll swap it myself and throw out the old one at my moms who’s town isn’t a bunch of nanny state assholes. (I’ve been told code enforcement drives around on garbage day looking for hot water heaters at the curb at homes that don’t have a permit on file).

Last I knew, West Seneca doesnt issue electrical permits. Just call Commonwealth for inspection

Lol what are permits??

Really thoigh, I’ll pull permits for my front windows if I end up doing them myself, and any electrical I’ll pull permits but I’m not DIYing any of that anyway.

I havent called them yet obv, but just after a quick search this is what I found a while ago: http://www.westseneca.net/sites/default/files/Electrical%20Permit(2).pdf

http://www.westseneca.net/index.php?q=building_plumbing

Electrical + ripping out the lath and plaster and disposing of it without issue are my primary concerns.

I didnt for all of the work i did, including replacing the 6’x12’ window on the front of the house.

House next to my bar. I don’t know why it’s illegal, something with the plumbing not being drained in the “correct” spot. Since my body is trained to shit at work, I seriously haven’t used my toilet in about 6 months LOL

I know people in west Seneca, that have done, full gut kitchens, refinished basements, replaced huge windows, tear off roofs with no permits and no problems. I guess it depends on your neighbors and the traffic on your street. Where in West Seneca?

I live in West Seneca on a fairly “main” road. I knocked down a wall, redid the kitchen, bath, floor’s, hot water tank, and fence without any permits. Tons of stuff out at the curb and never got hassled. I did space out the garbage because I didn’t want to piss off the garbage guys. Any major stuff like 2x4’s, dry wall, flooring…I took to the dump myself. If you are going to do a full gut all at once I would think about a permit just because you will want to have a dumpster in the driveway.

Ok so here is the low down on this.

I may have gutted and rebuilt several properties. I may have not used permits. I might have also finished “bonus” space (basements without proper egress) without permits. I may have replaced tons of services without permits. Is this legal, not really. Do I care, nope. Why then should you?

You should care because your insurance company sure does. Go read your homeowners policy. Look for statements like amateurish work, unpermitted, illegal work. Insurance companies are not in the business of writing large checks and they will try to find reasons to not pay you. Say you remodel the entire kitchen and mess up the gas connection ever so slightly. This causes a fire. They will come in and notice all of the new work and then run right off to the town to check for permits on the work. This is a pretty reaching example but it could happen.

More common would be that big garage or wide open basement. It could make a nice living room or a great extra space for a bar or whatever. They WILL check for permits for these “Illegal living spaces” and they will deny claims based on that clause in your policy.

So this has never actually scared me for some reason and I still do what I want. BUT there is one other concern. If the house is listed for sale and the buyer is seeking an FHA loan the FHA appraiser could/should note the probability of illegal work. The lender may or may not research further and could deny the buyer financing. I have never personally experienced this but I have also never done anything with FHA loans.

I guess the TLDR version is do what you want but beware that there are very real and far reaching consequences.

Edit: Here is a tip on doing a large gut without a permit and without a dumpster in the driveway. If the home has an attached garage you can toss all waste out there. When it starts to be a “full dumpster” load, run over to Budget and rent a 26’ truck for $150. Take 2 hours to load the truck, run to dump and unload then return it. Profit.

Seriously good points all around

Exactly.

I’ve heard this and what can they even do if they see a hot water tank on the side of the road? I’d throw them out for friends just to mess with the inspections. If they question you just say “its trash”.

when I redid my house/duplex whatev, it was all inside the home, I originally didn’t get a permit (town of Depew) but then the building inspector came knocking on the door a bunch of times giving me shit about getting permits because he seen the dump trailer I had in the driveway for all the drywall and other shit I pulled out, everything is up to code or his standards, the only really annoying thing is I had to spend 7-800 bucks extra because I needed smoke and CO detectors all over the place. like seriously way to many in my opinion and they all had to be hardwired so that was just some more work for me. woo hoo

Thank you! This is what I am kind of concerned with, and completely what I expected. Lol I think I’ll just leave it at that. The truck rental thing though, never thought of that. Way easier than hiding a dumpster haha.

Many departments are accepting wireless interconnect for existing homes due to their ease of installation in a retrofit application. Surprised they made you go hard wired.