CNC machine programming

How tough is to learn CNC machine programming ? i heard it takes experiences like knowing different tooling and their usages and not just reading from books. What kind of site is good to get some info on CNC programming? What’s a good program for CNC programming ? CADCam ?

It is definately good to have some hands on experience if you are actually planning on running the program yourself.
You need to know the feeds and speeds required for different material, tooling, etc.
You also need to recognize problems and know how to correct them.
Some problems could be; dull tools, burnt tools, coolant mixtures and pressure/volume, etc, etc, etc.
If you are fairly intelligent(good at math) the programming is pretty easy.
Programming gets easier every year with new software.
There are more and more people who have learned how to program but never really learned the practical basics of machining.
This has proven to be a problem when these people encounter realife machining challenges.
Do you have any machining experience?
Are you looking for a job?:slight_smile:

I did FAA A&P courses in high school. So did some basic machining. That’s pretty much it. I know how to used most of the 3D solid modeling program and trying to pick up CNC programming on the side. What kind of position are u guys looking for ? machinist ? and what kind of company? LMK. thanks!

from my experience…if you havnt run a CNC machine or are atleast familiar with the basics of what works and what dont then your not gunna be a good programmer. i was hired at a machine shop in phoenix that had just bought a few CNC machines…and i helped em figure them out because i had prior experience. but they first had the engineer do the programming and he just didnt understand the concepts of what makes sense in the machining world eventho he was a brilliant mechanical engineer. so i took the reigns and did an excellent job because of my machining background. so if you ask me…learning to program is easy…learning to apply it to the real world is what is hard.

AWDrifter: you hiring? can you beat $60K a year?

i am a cnc setup machinist with a 2 yr degree in machining and it will def. be beneficial to you to have some cnc experience before jumping into the programming. it will make things much simpler once you know how a machine reads and interprets code and how the machine physically moves. also knowing tooling basics and machining feeds and speeds helps. im pretty sure ecc is offering a basic machining class now

edit: my place of employment is looking for machine operators also if interested.
pm me

The actual code is easy. As far as programming, yes you have to understand the basics but its not rocket science. It be interesting to learn a small multiple use CNC that are in machine shops. CNC’s used in the manufacturing environment are fairly easy routines until you get into crank and cam machining.

doing it well takes experience… a part that is made in a CNC with one programmer in 20 minutes can be made by a different programmer in 10 minutes…

I also heard of the cnc machine doing weird things when not programmed properly… like, when a peice is being made the bit not raising up off the part to transfer to another part of the peice being made and totally cutting a huge slash through the part… stuff like that.

That is basically what I was trying to say.

We are always looking for good people.
Pay depends on experience and skill.
I can’t beat $60,000 straight time pay(28.84/hour). I assume you have good benefits as well.

ECC HAS A GREAT CLASS THAT JUST STARTED A WHILE BACK.
THEY ARE LOOKING FOR STUDENTS.

There is a shortage in WNY of good machinists.

CNC machines crash when wrong numbers are entered in the program.
It can be really, really bad.
It could be compared to crashing a $300,000 car.
I just ordered a machine yesterday worth $315,000.(can’t wait to use it):slight_smile:
I will be a little nervous the first few times it is programmed and run.:ohnoes:

We are looking for CNC machinists that can “set up” jobs.(Not neccessarily programmers)
We manufacter pneumatic cylinders and other linear motion devices.

actually im only making $18/hr…i get alot of overtime to get the $60k. im the supervisor of the lathe department where i work. the benefits are decent but the company pays 100% of them. i probably wouldnt leave this company seeing my last name is on the building but im just lookin to see what else is out there. as you know money talks.

not really true. Most axis have detents on the ballscrews or are simply belt driven by the servos so the belts usually get chewed up. The tool takes the brunt of it and the chucks are virtually industructable. It can easy add up to $20K but that is small potatoes for corporations, but can be a huge deal for small machine shops.

:roll2: ok.

i have yet to see a ballscrew get chewed up. but ive seen plenty of servo motors, spindle bearings, gear boxes, and belts get chewed. the most common issue tho is the perpendicularity of the axis getting wacked out. then you gotta spend the time and money to get everything straightened out so you dont have issues with taper.