who wants to chip in on this

http://www.hellscustoms.com/tools.htm

cnc machine. 150k new, 4k now plus shipping. figure 8k after shipping at most. i think it woud pay for itself after a year. set of 4 custom 20 inch wheels aint cheap. maybe 3 sets of wheels will pay for the machine…

I’ve been thinking about a side business lately, something where you actually have a product instead of creating reports all the time. I just don’t know enough about it - what’s involved with operating it, maintenance, operating expense, what this model’s capabilities are compared to newer or different models, etc.

Definitely interesting though.

well, i would think ur exspenses would be electric, water, bits, and raw materials. i would think that the bits are pricey…

operating wise, seeing it is a 3 axis mill, i assume you would have to program it so it knows where to cut. not sure what is involved on that. as far as i know, you use autocad of some sort and punch in those numbers… im going to have to talk to some machinist friends

i figure you could make wheels, steering wheels, trim pieces, intakes, whatever you can dream of and punch in the numbers for…

all manuals are w/ machine, machine worked when sold form old shop. i think shipping would cost as much as the machine though… i imagine this is a good deal considering other used milling machines i seen for sell were all over 20k still. maybe hunt ebay? see if another pops up…

may have to go to library and read up too…

for 4 grand in the shipping It would probably be cheaper to drive out there and pick it up and the is a pretty good deal if it still works properly,the possiblities are endless

cabby my dad was a machinist back in the day. he could probably give you a good idea how to set it up

I’ll try to do some reading. I’m pretty sure the latest ones take the input directly from a CAD program. We were doing some testing at a machine shop and they were able to get files directly from the customer and load it in.

Even if it’s manual, it may still be a good deal.

If interested:
http://www.ccac.edu/default.aspx?id=138623

looked into it more, machine is circa 1980’s. way outdated. to convert it over to floppy drive, gonna have 10k involved. on top of that, new machines w/ 8 axis and windows based progtraming via computer run around 1 mill bucks.

so looked good at first, but all said and done, not worth it.

You’re right about all that Sailor, plus the transportation fees would be astronomical, never mind the difficulty and expense of 3- phase hookup with most buildings.