Cobalt SS, 8:23 Ring time

After biting our tongues for the last few days while (accurate) speculation surrounding the successor to the Chevy Cobalt SS Supercharged bounced around the web, we’re finally able to come clean. This is the turbocharged 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS, and it’s being introduced to the world at SEMA this week. Chevy went to great lengths to ensure that the SS badge means more than what it had become in recent years.

Coming in at 260 HP / 260 lb-ft, the SS/TC gains a full 55 horses over the now-defunct SS/SC. Power, of course, is sourced from the same 2.0L direct-injected, turbocharged, intercooled sledgehammer found under the bonnets of the Pontiac Solstice GXP, Saturn Sky Red Line, and forthcoming Chevy HHR SS. The GM Performance Division was tasked with making sure the improved Cobalt SS is well-sorted, and John Heinricy and company dialed in the FE5 sport suspension on the undulating twists and turns of the Nürburgring Nordschleife. The result, says GM, is a track-capable suspension that’s still comfortable on the street, and which helps mitigate FWD performance foibles like torque steer.

Follow the jump for more, plus all the official GM press materials.

[Source: GM]

Gallery: 2008 Chevy Cobalt SS
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/08cobaltss-turbo_hi001_thumbnail.jpghttp://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/08cobalt-ss-turbo_hi002_thumbnail.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2007/10/08cobalt-ss-turbo_lo002.jpg
Click image to enlarge

The standard transmission is the GM Powertrain Sweden F35 short-throw 5-speed manual with a “no-lift shift” feature. This, combined with the punchy turbo four, helps propel the Cobalt SS Turbocharged from 0 to 60 in a scant 5.7 seconds. In fact, GM set a Nürburgring class record for FWD sport compacts with the turbo Cobalt, lapping the Green Hell in 8:22.85. Better braking accompanies the added power with 4-piston fixed-caliper Brembos in front and vented discs with single-piston calipers in the rear. A driver-selectable competition mode with launch control can be enabled from the cockpit. Beyond that, the traction control system can be completely disabled.

Appearance-wise, the Cobalt SS Turbocharged sports a unique front fascia, model-specific rocker panels, forged 18" alloys, a polished exhaust outlet, and a choice of rear wings (low or high). Inside, a boost gauge peeks at the driver from the A-pillar while SS-exclusive sport seats and interior trim dress up the cabin. The Chevy Cobalt SS Turbocharged goes on sale in Q2 of 2008, and if the coupe doesn’t strike your fancy, no worries: a sedan version will follow a couple of months later. Honda, Mazda and all the rest are now on notice. There’s a new player at the table, and that SS medallion he’s rocking is no longer costume jewelery.

Nürburgring lap speeds down

Kids in highspeed crashes with cobalts up

Hmmm think i need a front brake swap.

Faster than the NSX and right up there with an '04 STI and R32 Skyline GTR.

wow from the factory flat foot shifting thats pretty cool

Im really thinking about getting one of these

[quote=“MPD47,post:4,topic:37827"”]

Faster than the NSX and right up there with an '04 STI and R32 Skyline GTR.

[/quote]

yep… no matter what though, its still a cobalt and owned by 90% 17 year old girls (no offense to the real enthusiasts out there, but you know its true)

these cars are gonna get wrecked like no tomorrow, but its gonna be fun when all these HS kids want to race me lol

really? on stock tires? i’d love to know what kind of tires were used on this record setting lap.

[quote=“Viper966,post:7,topic:37827"”]

yep… no matter what though, its still a cobalt and owned by 90% 17 year old girls (no offense to the real enthusiasts out there, but you know its true)

[/quote]

sad but true…

i’d like to see how the do up the 4 door models

well, looks like someone learned

meanwhile honda continues to jerk off and fall off the face of the scene it (well, people using its parts) built

[quote=“Viper966,post:7,topic:37827"”]

[/quote]

still better then a neon with a turbo !!

[quote=“Toda Party,post:11,topic:37827"”]

well, looks like someone learned

meanwhile honda continues to jerk off and fall off the face of the scene it (well, people using its parts) built

[/quote]

i know… it’s like, plz throw gas mileage - a little of it - out the window and put a turbo in a little car. good fucking lord. imagine how much market would be out there. i would consider buying say, a turbo civic si if it was at least a 2.0.

christ. :tdown:

That’s damn impressive for that car.

One of the best moves GM has made in a while.
Im impressed.

I am astonished GM did somthing right and very impressed with the lap time.

:slight_smile: seriously !! So is that like a 13s 1/4 car out of the box that handles?

[quote=“SVT3945,post:12,topic:37827"”]

[/quote]

:lol:

X…

[quote=“SVT3945,post:12,topic:37827"”]

[/quote]

actually it might be able to catch up to the old SRT-4 now.

Brian

i cant wait for Q2 of next year. I think this is gonna be my car out of college.