No more SS Cobalt..

http://www.cobaltcoupe.net/forums/showthread.php?t=482

why? do you think they are planning a redesign or just opted out of the market, like dodge did? it seems like its doing well and performs as good or better than the other cars in its class (Si, Scion TC, SRT4 etc).

Kinda wierd…I thought it fit well in that market

I’ve heard tons of rumors that they would really like to shove the turbo ecotec in there (that motor rocks in the solstice GXP). I think them taking a break from the SS will give the segment a little bit of a rest. Making it much easier to market and sell a new SS when the time comes. While I don’t think the old SS was the best compact ever, it was definally a step in the right direction. If they can keep up the trend of building their cars a little better each year then they should be fine.

sucks for re-sale… as do most GM’s :kekegay:

ya, thats all i heard over on the boards was that we were gettin the 260hp turbo motor. then i read a few things from GM hi-per (i think) mag sayin 08 was gonna be the year for the switch to the turbo motor. now its nothing. kinda weird. i agree, the current SS isnt the best car, but it does perform very well. its not as tuner friendly as most of the others and isnt built as solid as the Si or GTI buti think it looks awesome and runs really good. plus it handles good too. its just kinda sad to see it go. i’m obviously biased, but ive liked them sicne they came out and i hope they return.

ya, Sonny it prob will make the resale go down, unfortunatley. im probly gonna keep t for awhile though. but now i have 2 GM sportscars that noone gives a shit about:weak: :crying:

well, it will at least make them a rare car which can be good.

Ouch haha. In all seriousness the Cobalt has been doing well in SCCA club racing. John Heinricy raced one last year and did really well in it if I recall. I’m sure they will bring something back. But the sad part is that dude in the link you posted is right they probably want to build a HHR SS or something in the meantime :ugh:

GM probably wants to compete with the Speed 3.

You said it brother :rant:

good luck. that is one sweet package. maybe gm will get the hint and go multi-link rear with an lsd. the regular 3 handles so nicely, I can’t imagine that car with 268hp

yeah they handle good till the motor falls out of them :smiley: literally

HHR SS? Fuckin joking me?

thats the rumor. i didnt know anyone bought the regular HHR, let-alone if they make an SS. the Cobalt SS is one of the platforms that i think actually deserved the SS badge. the sport compact market is performance oriented and the Cobalts get driven that way. i really cant see the HHR really needing a performance model and dont see many ppl racing them or buying one for performance driving. it seems to me that would be ridiculous to drop your sport compact performance car and then go and try to make a performance version of something that doesnt fit into any performance catagory.

my buddy just got a speed 3, its a pretty nice, zippy car. I think they fixed the motor mount problem now.

supposedly the Cobalt is getting a revision based off the “Astra” platform in 09

and the Turbo 2.0 Ecotec will make its way into it, but there will not be an SS variant. It will be called the “Sport” or something of the like.

Rumors are it maybe a detuned variant of the Turbo Ecotec rated at 245hp, I wouldnt be surprised if it was the 260hp motor though, knowing GM.

ya, the '08 “sport” is gonna be the current 2.4L SS, so i guess it makes sense if they do that for 09. i just wish theyd have the 2.4 and then have the turbo 2.0 at 260hp.

the turbo version is a go from what I understand

The Astra replaces the Ion, which should get a Redline variant.

The G5, no word yet if that is going to survive the redesign or not, if it does, it may get a GXP model.

Appearantly it seems that Chevy and Saturn are slowly becomming Opel/Vauxhall
Pontiac is developing into Holden.

The 2.0 turbo ecotec (rated at 260) is not really much (if any) more powerful than the 2.0 supercharged ecotec now. Stock cobalt ss’s are rated at 205 hp but most dyno above 205 to wheels. The 260 hp on the turbo is rated at the crank.

ya, i know its supposedly underrated but it just seems weird that they are just shy of cracking into the 13s in stock trim. i dunno how much of that is due to how hoard it is to launch these cars or what. i would imagine the new turboed motor would allow it to be modded alot easier, since it seems like there arent too many options for the 2.0 S/C besides the GM stage kits.

I could be wrong… but wouldn’t the turbo ecotec make significantly more torque than the sc 2.0? And regardless like the other guy said, a turbo would be much mroe easily modified in terms of $-power